mtbr member

New question here. All Moution or FR?

I am in the posession of a Klein Mantra and I classify it as an all mountain bike but others have said otherwise. It is one of the few models that they made of this type before selling to Trek. What do you think? I dont think that it is an FR but you may differ. Please provide supportive details instead of just posting FR or AM thanks!
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

What could go wrong ...
    The suspension travel is too short to be a FR or AM bike ... it is an XC bike
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2 View Post
    The suspension travel is too short to be a FR or AM bike ... it is an XC bike
    I thought that it had 5" of travel, I may be mistaken, but some of those crazy designs had a lot of travel, either the Kestral, the Ibis Bow-Ti, not sure about the Mantra, but given the design, it didn't matter how much travel you had, as it stiffened significantly when you stood, effectively limiting it/locking it out. Due to this and the geometry, it's an XC bike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

What could go wrong ...
    Yes Jayem it has a seemingly large number of inches of travel but it sure doesnt ride like it does and as you mentioned the geo is way too steep to try AM or FR on it

rear travel on klein mantra
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Thanks
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Why do you care what people LABEL your bike. FR, DH, AM XC??? Who cares.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    Why do you care what people LABEL your bike. FR, DH, AM XC??? Who cares.
    I care beacuse I love my bike and I want to know as much about it as possible, in short I was currious. Why do you insult me and post sinde replys on my thread? This is not the type of thing that shoul be posted.
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    How was I insulting you? I was telling you that it doesn't matter what category people would label your bike. What matters is that you like to ride it.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AKnRDR View Post
    I care beacuse I love my bike and I want to know as much about it as possible, in short I was currious. Why do you insult me and post sinde replys on my thread? This is not the type of thing that shoul be posted.
    This sort of question gets asked a lot, and too often people argue ad nauseum about what bikes are in what category, and what category means what.

Because of this we can forget that sometimes it is actually a simple, straightforward question.

In your case, it would be considered an "XC" bike.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sometimes I ride my am bike for xc rides and I even sometimes hit more fr lines with my am bike. On occasion I have even used my fr bike for xc but usually only use the fr bike for fr riding and dh. these posts have me sometimes lol about the different distinctions between xc, fr, dh, and am riding I have to say wtf? And I end up just lmao. Maybe we should jgr and try to forget about all of the marketing bs.

Now, more importantly, what socks to wear while am riding?

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    i like riding my bike on the mountain

and sometimes I do it on the road

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Sometimes I ride my am bike for xc rides and I even sometimes hit more fr lines with my am bike. On occasion I have even used my fr bike for xc but usually only use the fr bike for fr riding and dh. these posts have me sometimes lol about the different distinctions between xc, fr, dh, and am riding I have to say wtf? And I end up just lmao. Maybe we should jgr and try to forget about all of the marketing bs.

Now, more importantly, what socks to wear while am riding?

This is true I even use my bike as a DH sometimes.
    -Thoreau

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AKnRDR View Post
    This is true I even use my bike as a DH sometimes.
    There you go, AK. Now it looks like you got the gist of my post.

So many people out there are concerned with what "type" of bike they have, what is all mountain and what is not. Just look at the threads where literally 100's of people are trying to define riding styles: xc, all mountain, free ride etc. but there is no consensus. Now we have "Enduro" bikes hitting the scenes - bikes specifically built for every Enduro race out there and all Enduro racers now need to be riding an Enduro bike.

Further, i appreciate the questions of people asking if their bike, "Insert bike model", can handle repeated 4 foot drops to flat. Good question. But asking if the same bike model is all mountain means nothing.

I guarantee you that one man's "all mountain" riding in Fruita or whistler is very different than "all mountain" riding in North Georgia, for example. Make sense?

I really was not meaning to insult you or be snarky, well I was being a little snarky, but my intentions were good. Either way, buck the marketing hype and rock what you're riding.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    There you go, AK. Now it looks like you got the gist of my post.

So many people out there are concerned with what "type" of bike they have, what is all mountain and what is not. Just look at the threads where literally 100's of people are trying to define riding styles: xc, all mountain, free ride etc. but there is no consensus. Now we have "Enduro" bikes hitting the scenes - bikes specifically built for every Enduro race out there and all Enduro racers now need to be riding an Enduro bike.

Further, i appreciate the questions of people asking if their bike, "Insert bike model", can handle repeated 4 foot drops to flat. Good question. But asking if the same bike model is all mountain means nothing.

I guarantee you that one man's "all mountain" riding in Fruita or whistler is very different than "all mountain" riding in North Georgia, for example. Make sense?

I really was not meaning to insult you or be snarky, well I was being a little snarky, but my intentions were good. Either way, buck the marketing hype and rock what you're riding.
    Awesome man that single piece of text could move mountains. I never really use emoticons but there couldn't be a better time!
    -Thoreau