mtbr member
    Nov 2005

All mountain/XC type rides in Denver

Anyone know where/what the good trails are in Denver. I'm looking for some epic downhill and some good xc type riding...not really DH...you know..the all mountain stuff...fun but not deadly...haha...

Suggestions on flying with your bike? Is it worth it? I just got a Scott Ransom so I feel like if I spent all of my equity on my house (which is how I got it) - then I should really enjoy it and have it with me and not have to ride a rental. plus I ride switch (motorcycle style --- from racing) - so...

thoughts...

Let me know...anyone here gonna be out there or live out there? I'll be there Aug23-26. staying in a hotel but would like someone to ride with...might hit up boulder too if I can find a good deal on a rental car....

Thanks guys!!

mtbr member
    You could also go south to the Springs. Plenty of great rides down here. There's a little of everything DH / XC / FR. You name it we have it.

Cameron
    [SIZE="4"]Go Big or Go Home[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    These are my 3 top picks for out of town friends - a little bit of everything. Not sure where you are from but if you are not familiar with riding at elevation the advice I give my out of town buddys is drink tons of water, stay off the beer and don't be to proud to walk or take lots of breaks to smell the roses and get some oxygen back in your blood. The links will take you to pdf maps.

Bear Creek Trail - West of Morisson
    (Lair O The Bear Park - O 'Fallon Park - Denver Mt. Park)
    http://www.denvergov.org/dephome.asp?depid=88
    In the woods for the most part. Sort of an up-down-up-down climbing affair that takes you to some decent elevation. Mostly smooth rolling singletrack with some tech mixed in. Really fun DH with lots of cool lefts, rights & rollers to test the traction on your rig.

Hall Ranch - Boulder / Lyons
    http://www.boa-mtb.org/resources/maps.php
    The middle section of this trail is like a miniature Moab - very techy rock garden. Climbs are moderate.

Apex - Golden
    http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/opensp...e_T56_R108.htm
    Gnarly!! Bring pads. Apex trail has a moderate gain in elevation but the terrain is very rocky & tech making it a very chalenging climb and a really fun and potentially deadly DH. Trail to the north of Apex are pretty steep with challenging switchbacks on Sluicebox. South of Apex Trail is Enchanted Forest lots of trees, rocks & roots.

If at all possible I would bring your own bike. Sorry I can't join you - I will be out of town.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks guys. Yeah, getting a bike box this weekend...hopefully and going to sort all of that out.

Do you just show up to an airport with it and pay extra or do you need to tell them when you buy your ticket???? I hope my bike fits in a box.....

Looks like I will hit up some good stuff....looking forward to it.

Out Of Control
    All the frontrange stuff is decent, but sometimes tend to have alot of traffic. If ya have time and some extra cash, try winter park, keystone, or vail. Have fun man!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    When you say bring pads - is that shin/knee or full on body armor and full face helmet sick DH style?

I just went to Snowshoe WV and had a serious digger and messed up my shoulder so I want to know what I'm getting into here. I thought I could clean that DH stuff with my all mountain rig - and clipless pedals...NOOOO>>>.
    Definitely an advocate of flats and pads....full on body armor...

Motion activated
    One thing to keep in mind: It thunderstorms almost every afternoon along the Front Range, so if you can, ride in the morning.

The front range forum has lots of group rides posted, so you might want to check that out or post something yourself if there is a particular ride you want to do.

As someone else said, it is pretty hard to go wrong with any of the Front Range trails.

Bring lots of tubes.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    That's a good point - what else different should I bring? am I going to be very far from public roads, etc.? I usually bring at least 2 tubes, 100oz of water - tire pump, shock pump, der hanger, multitool, and patches, sidewall supports (for cuts) - and about 8,000 snickers if I'm going to be out a long time...haha.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by whizzif
    am I going to be very far from public roads, etc.?
    No. Most of the FR trails are very close to major roads and are 1 hour up and 15min. down. So even if you have to walk out it's not that long of a walk. Not to mention most of the trails are full of other riders/trail runners/horses/hikers. The higher elevation stuff is a different story.
    Last edited by Steve71; 08-03-2006 at 11:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    excellent thanks. I posted a thread in the denver FR area to see if anyone will be in town and able to ride aug23-26 (perhaps the next week as well if I end up staying, not sure yet) - so we'll see. I would like to do the higher elevation stuff....but I'm not a big fan of riding way out into the wilderness by myself if I don't know the area - so hopefully someone will want to show me around.....

Do the shops have topos? If anyone is going to be around....dinner's on me if you can show me some good stuff.

Basically I know I won't get to ride a lot and there's so much out there, that I want to make sure I get the good stuff while I can....I don't want to sound picky but getting out there is going to cost me a chunk so I want to make sure I don't waste a bunch of time at the shop, driving ariound, trying to find the trail head, stopping all the time and trying to figure out where I am..I just want to ride...

Motion activated
    If you want to scope things out a little bit, there is a book called "front range single tracks" my Tom Barnhart. All the trails mentioned here are excellent choices and there really aren't any secrete stashes, but the book will give you and idea of what’s involved. All of it is good, but just a different shade of good

I hear you on the just wanting to ride and not worry about getting lost. At this stage of the game I can't commit to anything, but once things fall into place I'll have a better idea whats going on.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Yeah, getting a bike box this weekend...hopefully and going to sort all of that out.

Do you just show up to an airport with it and pay extra or do you need to tell them when you buy your ticket???? I hope my bike fits in a box.....

Looks like I will hit up some good stuff....looking forward to it.
    As a note. It might be a lot cheaper to find someone to ship your bike to and then pick it up when you get here. Airlines charge an arm and a leg for cargo (ie your bike in a box) like $100 and up. While you can ship UPS, FedEx, etc for $35-50. Just a thought that might save you some cash.

Cameron
    [SIZE="4"]Go Big or Go Home[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yeah, we're staying in a hotel - so that might not work so well this trip but definitely an option for future travel. I spent every dime to my name on my bike (and I've wrecked it 3 times) - still going strong though. The hotel is free so I'm justifying spending a little extra on transport with the free lodging and meals....

I'd love to move out there if there were some eng type jobs I could qualify for. My gf works for a clinical trials company (PRA) - and can work pretty much anywhere...

Anyway, if I can make it happen, I'll be in touch and get down there and ride...sounds good.

VooDoo user.
    SHouldn't have too much trouble finding a engineering job out here. They are like accountants.......everybody needs one.

Have a great trip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Mt Lion

Anyone know where/what the good trails are in Denver. I'm looking for some epic downhill and some good xc type riding...not really DH...you know..the all mountain stuff...fun but not deadly...haha...

Thanks guys!!
    Including the trails that others have mentioned, you may want to check out Mt. Lion trail in Golden Gate State Park west of Golden. It's more on the technical side of things but is a really fun trail and does not get crowded, at all, like the other front range trails around.