Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    45

    All mountain vs. XC vs. Trail vs. Freeride

    Hey guys... I am a mtb noob. bought a hard tail XC mtb (29er 80mm travel) recently and really loving mtbing in general!

    Now that I started MTBing I've realised that I want to get a more intense mountain bike, defintely a full-suspension mtb but I can decide between a trail, all-moutain or freeride bike, but thats because I dont know what exactly characterizes each type of riding.

    I was wondering if you guys could give me a little description of what type of riding characterizes each type of bike...

    I want a bike that can go over roots, rocks, handle like 3-4 feet drops, etc. I am pretty sure that a freeride bike is intended for more intense terrain than I am looking to ride but I am not sure whether I am looking for a 'trail' bike or an 'all-mountain' bike.

    Basically, what i am asking is: could you guys describe what 'all-mountain' is exactly? like describe what type of terrain an 'all-mountain' bike can handle?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PNW Freeride's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    373
    All-Mountain is kind of a loose term for Agressive trails.
    I think for what you are doing a trail bike or a AM bike will work, hell, if you wanted too you could tough it out on your 29er.
    And I do everything on my AM bike, Light DH/FR, AM/Trail, XC and even training on the roads and fire-road climbing (Although I currently am in the market for a road bike)
    Oh, and I do not think you need a FR bike for what your doing (unless your doing really techy-shore trails), Even then a AM bike with more travel (Reign X/Scratch) would probibly suite you better.
    Good Luck

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW Freeride
    All-Mountain is kind of a loose term for Agressive trails.
    I think for what you are doing a trail bike or a AM bike will work, hell, if you wanted too you could tough it out on your 29er.
    And I do everything on my AM bike, Light DH/FR, AM/Trail, XC and even training on the roads and fire-road climbing (Although I currently am in the market for a road bike)
    Oh, and I do not think you need a FR bike for what your doing (unless your doing really techy-shore trails), Even then a AM bike with more travel (Reign X/Scratch) would probibly suite you better.
    Good Luck
    Thanks for the info! Yeah i know i could tough it out on my 29er but i've ridden some trails and realised that i do need a more intense bike for the type of riding I want to do!

    How is an all-mountain bike for climbing and XC type riding? i want a bike that can do everything... 'all' mountain sounds like what i am looking for i am just wondering how much of a trade off there is in terms of ability to ride XC type stuff when you add more suspension to the bike. Although a lot of newer frames/forks do have suspension lockout which would probably solve any climbing/XC weaknesses.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PNW Freeride's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    373
    Yea,
    Climbing is not that bad, I do not have lock-out on my fork or rear shock. I really just tough it out.
    I own a Pitch which has less travel than many other AM bikes.
    It might be though transfering from a XC to AM bike on climbs but you will only get stronger and I think you will be able to ride those tougher trails faster/easyer.

  5. #5
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,174
    AM bikes are generally heavier, so they feel slower going up.

    FWIW, I actually think that suspension is beneficial to climbing. The bike will crawl up steps instead of bouncing.
    I never use my lock-out
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

  6. #6
    usually cranky
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,927
    it sounds like you are unsure of exactly what you want. if i were you id get a 5 inch trail bike, a giant trance for instance. it still pedals very very well but can take a beating. from there you can figure out if you need something with more guts or are good with what you have.

  7. #7
    usually cranky
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,927
    oh and i forgot to say, dont use lock out climbing! as highdell said you will bounce around all over the place plus you fix your fork so that it is extended as far as it can go putting you in less than ideal position. if you are that worried about it get a uturn or talas fork where you can wind down the travel putting you in a better stance but still able to soak up the bumps.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    it sounds like you are unsure of exactly what you want. if i were you id get a 5 inch trail bike, a giant trance for instance. it still pedals very very well but can take a beating. from there you can figure out if you need something with more guts or are good with what you have.
    Yeah I am unsure you have that right! yeah the giant trance is one of the bikes i am looking at! I want a bike that climbs and is fast but i definitely want something that can git up the more challenging trails!

    I am not racing or anything so the climbing/speed is sort of secondary but dont want to get a bike thats going to be a disaster in terms fo climbing. hopefully i can test drive some bikes before i decide what i want to buy. probably will never we able to test them on the trails though unfortunately

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,769
    Quote Originally Posted by bull_dozer
    Now that I started MTBing I've realised that I want to get a more intense mountain bike, defintely a full-suspension mtb but I can decide between a trail, all-moutain or freeride bike,
    How is a full-suspension "more intense"? I definitely feel more rush going down on my weenie hardtail then on a 160mm fully with a drop-post. Big plush bikes feel like cheating..

    Anyway, just like many others you are confusing a type of bike with the riding you do.

    Get something that you will not break too fast and have fun. 80mm XC rig sound a bit whimpy, but keep it. You can add a fairly cheap 26" dirt jumper - essentially a larger BMX - to trash it.

    By the time you trash both bikes you will figure out what you want. No reason to spend big from the start.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PNW Freeride's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    373
    Yea, I rode a dirt jumper with only a rear brake, low BB and really short seat post for a half a year to make sure I really wanted to spend the money on a full blown Trail/AM bike. You don't need the right kind of bike to ride the trails, the right bike will just make it a little easyer

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW Freeride
    You don't need the right kind of bike to ride the trails, the right bike will just make it a little easyer
    I realise this! I plan to ride the exact same trails when I get my next bike i just wanna spend a little less time on the brakes and a little more time bombing down the trail!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PNW Freeride's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    373
    Yea, Im just giving you a hard time.
    Look into any AM bike with less travel I think a Reign X would be too much to climb.
    I wouldn't leave trail bikes out of your list of options because then can be just as strong as any AM bike and climb better.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    225
    Go with a 6" bike. Sounds like you want to get after it. FYI, My main riding partner rides a Reign x and crushes guys on hardtails on climbs and it descends excellent.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    37
    Check out a Specialized Pitch Pro, since the Pro has PP on the rear-shock and the fork has a lockout and other cool adjustments. Sounds exactly what your looking for, plus it is quite affordable for what you are getting. I just ordered one and can't wait to take it out! You can also check out a Giant Reign 2, 1, or 0, depending on how much you want to spend.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nauc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,204
    this is how i think of it

    XC = rolling dirt paths
    AM = go almost anywhere and small jumps
    Trail = in between XC and AM but no jumps
    Freeride = jump almost anything but its heavier than AM so it will be a bit harder to climb
    DH = forget climbing anything, jump on it and ride down whatever
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,753
    Try to rent some bikes to see how they really suit you.Don't forget your riding style and interests may change after riding agressive bikes for a while.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    664
    i would suggest riding your ht for a bit more, it'll help you improve and then you can also learn more of what you need and want, then slowly do your hw, and best if you could try as many bikes as possible, be it for rides around the carpark or a proper trail ride.
    check out great video coverage of anything mtb (well almost).

    http://www.mtbcut.tv

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc
    this is how i think of it

    XC = rolling dirt paths
    AM = go almost anywhere and small jumps
    Trail = in between XC and AM but no jumps
    Freeride = jump almost anything but its heavier than AM so it will be a bit harder to climb
    DH = forget climbing anything, jump on it and ride down whatever
    I just ordered a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert 29'er. Do you really think I shouldn't jump it? It's only a trail bike according to them.

  19. #19
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,174
    you can probably jump stumps just fine with that
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    311
    At one point in the dark distant past, all we had were XC bikes....and jump them we did. With thumb shifters too! lol

    Seriously, I think when ppl say "no jumps" in relation to XC bikes they mean regular, hard jumping. Hitting a small jump and catching a couple feet of air shouldnt hurt any bike unless it sucks, or you ride like a dinosaur. A "small jump" to me is NOT the same as a "small jump" to a kid who hucks 20 foot gaps.

  21. #21
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalamath
    Seriously, I think when ppl say "no jumps" in relation to XC bikes they mean regular, hard jumping. Hitting a small jump and catching a couple feet of air shouldnt hurt any bike unless it sucks, or you ride like a dinosaur. A "small jump" to me is NOT the same as a "small jump" to a kid who hucks 20 foot gaps.
    Agreed

    Very well said.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  22. #22
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,036
    Quote Originally Posted by bull_dozer
    Hey guys... I am a mtb noob. bought a hard tail XC mtb (29er 80mm travel) recently and really loving mtbing in general!

    Now that I started MTBing I've realised that I want to get a more intense mountain bike, defintely a full-suspension mtb but I can decide between a trail, all-moutain or freeride bike, but thats because I dont know what exactly characterizes each type of riding.

    I was wondering if you guys could give me a little description of what type of riding characterizes each type of bike...

    I want a bike that can go over roots, rocks, handle like 3-4 feet drops, etc. I am pretty sure that a freeride bike is intended for more intense terrain than I am looking to ride but I am not sure whether I am looking for a 'trail' bike or an 'all-mountain' bike.

    Basically, what i am asking is: could you guys describe what 'all-mountain' is exactly? like describe what type of terrain an 'all-mountain' bike can handle?

    Thanks!
    IMO, there is no "XC" or "AM" terrain. These terms just describe the type of equipment you use to ride them, and your general approach to the terrain. There is no set definition for xc, trail, or AM, but in general, xc bikes are lighter, shorter travel, more nimble, AM bikes heavier/stronger, more stable, more travel, and trail bikes are somewhere in the middle.

    If you are talking about an occasional 3-4 foot drop to flat, some of the "trail" bikes are probably fine, but if that is going to be a regular focus of the riding, I would look towards amore AM bike/build.

    Regarding the lockout: I would not worry too much at this point about whether the bike has one (I would not base a purchase decision on it), but I do not agree with the blanket statements that you should not use one when climbing. Sometimes they help, sometimes not, depends on the climb, as well as the setup of the bike.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,769
    XC - red frames, white components, including fork

    Race - oddball team colors, like teal or neon green, lots of garish graphics.
    .
    Trail - blue or grey frames, black components with color matched anodized bits, typically a black fork.

    AM - Black, blue or orange frame, rarely brown, mostly black components with some green and orange highlights

    Freeride - green and other oddball colors, garish anodized components.


    ..otherwise, what kapusta said.

  24. #24
    ~Disc~Golf~
    Reputation: highdelll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    XC - red frames, white components, including fork

    Race - oddball team colors, like teal or neon green, lots of garish graphics.
    .
    Trail - blue or grey frames, black components with color matched anodized bits, typically a black fork.

    AM - Black, blue or orange frame, rarely brown, mostly black components with some green and orange highlights

    Freeride - green and other oddball colors, garish anodized components.


    ..otherwise, what kapusta said.
    I like the way you think curmudgeon
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    322
    i got my first "AM" bike and i swear it climbs better than my "XC" bike. And obviously feels so much less squirrely and much sturdier at the chair lift mountains. I had a Spesh XC Comp (still have actually) and I now ride a Spesh Enduro Comp. Six inches of travel, yet feels so light to me.

    So maybe check one of those out. I have the '09 which i think was built a touch lighter? (i may be totally wrong)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •