mtbr member
    Jul 2010

all mountain upgrade priority

I'm planning for an upgrade for my bike. My question is, which upgrade has the best impact for all mountain type of riding: Upgrading to a wider rim (Ztr flow) or bigger fork (Marz 55CR).

I currently ride a banshee spitfire ver 1 on a Fox Talas 32 RLC 140MM and AMXC Loaded rims (18mm internal width).

Thanks!

Huckin' trails

Quote Originally Posted by adrians505 View Post
    I'm planning for an upgrade for my bike. My question is, which upgrade has the best impact for all mountain type of riding: Upgrading to a wider rim (Ztr flow) or bigger fork (Marz 55CR).

I currently ride a banshee spitfire ver 1 on a Fox Talas 32 RLC 140MM and AMXC Loaded rims (18mm internal width).

Thanks!
    I'd say go for the bigger wider rims, as your fork isn't bad at all. Your current rims are pretty much skinny alloy wire.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    I second rims and some nice fat tires to go along with them

squish, squish in da fish
    rims

mtbr member
    I say find a way to do both. Your rims suck right now and the fork is under powerd. I was gonna say fork when i saw it was a fox 32 then i saw the 18mm rim... damn was the bike like that when you bought it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Im a recent convert from xc to all mountain, thats why my components are like that. btw my frame can fit up to 160mm fork.

mtbr member
    while not the best option, I think the fork warrants less attention than the wheels

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Wheels. You'll gain ~8mm of internal width, which will make even your current tires more aggressive.

mtbr member
    There is an obvious consensus here, but as a recent fox> marz rc3 ti convert I really don't think you can go wrong either way

Fox is good stuff but marz forks are some real deal Italian Gucci mtb performance. Tricky to tune and a bit lacking in online documentation but once you get it totally figured out its pretty awesome stuff. For me arm pump is a thing of the past no matter the terrain

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Ideally, you could sell a kidney and do both upgrades. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    haha. kidneys only cost $1000 on black market here in the philippines. :-)

Huckin' trails

haha. kidneys only cost $1000 on black market here in the philippines. :-)
    That's almost good enough for a new Pike.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    dont mean to hijack or sound like a troll, but i just noticed that some of you guys considered a talas 32 to be a noodly fork or at least leaning toward xc? i ask because
    i am under the notion that a talas 32 140 fork is in the all mountain range, and i find also that its the beefiest i dare go with the kind or riding i do, which is if honest is really more often than not leans on the xc side of things.
    so yes a talas 32 140 is an xc fork?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    btw my fox talas 32 is a 9mm qr. and i use a dtswiss rws 9mm through axle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hapeepotter View Post
    i am under the notion that a talas 32 140 fork is in the all mountain range,
    it was 5-6 years ago when there wasn't much available that was better. Having ridden Lyrics and 36s, I find the 32 a little nerve racking in it's flex. If that's all I had and could ever get I'm sure I could get used to it again, but the 'all mountain' forks out these days are so much better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    oh ok, got it. it may be on the light side for the kind if stuff you ride.
    for what i can handle its plenty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The upgrading of your front wheel to a wide rim/fat tire will magnify the need for a new fork. You are going to get both at some point, just decide which you want to purchase first.

The front end of my AM bike is a Marz 55CR w/ flow ex/hans dampf. It is a bombproof front end that I am not scared to drop into anything.

mtbr member
    oh ok, got it. it may be on the light side for the kind if stuff you ride.
    for what i can handle its plenty.
    what I was trying to say is it may also be a matter of not knowing any better; "the best you've ridden is the best there is" sort of thing.

as long as you're happy with what you have

mtbr member
    btw my fox talas 32 is a 9mm qr. and i use a dtswiss rws 9mm through axle.
    OP did you decide yet? I was gonna ask: do you have a sense of which is holding you back the most?

Forks seem to have better resale value than the wheels, so I still stick with the fork recommendation. If it were me, and the wheels werent noticeably weak or giving me problems, I would hammer on the wheels till they die or could be retired and kept as a spare set. Will you be able to convert your axle to accommodate the new fork with those hubs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Smile

i just bought and installed ztr flow ex, my tires looked bigger now. (specialized 2.3 eskar). now my fork looks malnourished. Next upgrade will the fork (marz 55), with that need zero stack headset tapered and 20mm hope adapter. thanks!

additional: the rim I just replaced, I just noticed they have dents already. I run them tubeless that why i just noticed them. I dont change tires too often.
    Last edited by adrians505; 09-13-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    dont mean to hijack or sound like a troll, but i just noticed that some of you guys considered a talas 32 to be a noodly fork or at least leaning toward xc? i ask because
    i am under the notion that a talas 32 140 fork is in the all mountain range, and i find also that its the beefiest i dare go with the kind or riding i do, which is if honest is really more often than not leans on the xc side of things.
    so yes a talas 32 140 is an xc fork?
    I wouldn't say it's an XC fork. I had a 32 Float with a 9mm QR and it was a good fork. Then that bike got stolen and the bike I replaced it with had a Rev with a 20mm TA. Same stanchion size, but the thru axle was worlds stiffer. If you're a heavy rider or if you ride fast and really push the bike, you might want something a little stiffer. But the fork is still very capable.

mtbr member
    i just bought and installed ztr flow ex, my tires looked bigger now. (specialized 2.3 eskar). now my fork looks malnourished. Next upgrade will the fork (marz 55), with that need zero stack headset tapered and 20mm hope adapter. thanks!

additional: the rim I just replaced, I just noticed they have dents already. I run them tubeless that why i just noticed them. I dont change tires too often.
    Nice! Flows are so great....I can't believe how with just minor tune ups every year mine are true and almost perfectly round after almost 4 years. Personally I like to not go under 26/28 psi front and rear to protect my rims from dents but it is fine to bend out minor dents (I use some old tube inside a spanner wrench to protect rim and bend out)

After you complete these two upgrades you will go from a great bike to amazing bike...love spitties

Oh and im also a big fan of the eskar. Esp the grid tubeless...have had better luck tub less with that as a rear than anything else I've tried. Perfect balance between rolling speed and grip

mtbr member
    nice! flows are going to be my next upgrade too!