mtbr member
    Feb 2017

All mountain / Trail racing?

Is it a thing?

I read all the time about these DH races, Enduro competitions and XC but I never really hear about races that just call for your standard mid travel trail bike.

Like a 120-140mm full suspension bike. Does it have a place in the race world? If so, where?

I ask because I am looking to start entering races (to complete, not so much compete) but don't want to buy a race specific rig and would rather use my Fuel Ex one bike quiver.

Yes I know that no one is saying that I can't use my bike for the above races. I am just curious if there is a sport or type of racing out there i am overlooking that a 130mm dualy would excel in over a long or short travel rig.

WillWorkForTrail
    You can race XC with your bike, or Enduro. But more suspension is going to make it a little less pedal friendly than a true XC bike, while less suspension than an enduro bike means it will be overwhelmed at high speeds faster than a real enduro bike. In reality though, if you want to race an enduro, you'll probably find the speeds you're comfortable at match what the bike can do fairly well. Yes, you might get a longer travel enduro bike and be able to go a little faster in places, but it likely wouldn't make that much difference.

Yeet so hard
    I'm not a racer by any means, but that type of bike seems well suited for endurance races.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF
    Smash

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have done 1 Enduro race, and just about any bike would have been OK. There was quite a bit of climbing overall, but not a crazy amount like most Enduros have now. It seems the trails are getting steeper, and the climbs are more than I want to do for a day of fun. Enduro is going more DH with mega climbs, and XC sounds about as much fun as a colonoscopy.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Maybe for endurance races, like 100+ miles, but it still should be relatively easy to ride uphill (light wheels, efficient). Otherwise, light weight and low travel usually win every day and Sunday because races are won on the flats and climbs especially. You spend so much time on climbs that being a little faster on downhills doesn't mean anything.

It also depends on how competitive you want to be, a racer in cat 2 and 3 can probably do ok on such a bike in any XC race, as you get faster and fitter, the bike will slow you down compared to guys on hardtails and low travel FS bikes.

To circle back to the question, not really in my experience, that's a jack of all trades master of none. There is no race category that maximizes it and I can't think of a way to do it. You can do a lot on a 100mm XC bike and if you've ever raced competitively with pros and high level experts, you'll realize they ride these spindly XC bikes down technical sections at speeds faster than most intermediate riders on DH bikes.

Of course, why does it matter if you are just doing it to complete? You can complete most races just fine on that kind of bike. Buy the bike for what you consider to be the most fun.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    It doesn't really matter I'm just having a bikestential crisis.

I love my trail bike to death and its perfect for the trails here but all of a sudden I want to race and I'm feeling blue that I'm not a real life Dr who can afford to just buy a race bike to ride.

Anyone care to donate a Top Fuel and a Slash to my cause?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    You need to formulate a race format, and organize a local event.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    You need to formulate a race format, and organize a local event.
    That's actually what I have been toying with but I am a social recluse in real life and would likely be poorly suited for this task.

mtbr member
    Dual Slalom racing....

But in reality, it's just a really comfortable do-it-all trail bike, that's not optimized for racing up or down. As was said - Jack of all trades, master of none.

mtbr member
    Each style of racing will be different by the area you live in

NICA classifies XC racing as "A
    cross
    country mountain bike race is a mass start competition held on a circuit course comprised of forest roads, forest or field trails, and
    unpaved dirt or gravel road"

As stated, You can race XC with a enduro bike but you won't be as efficient as a XC bike would.
    A buddy of mine just did the 1st round of the enduro series here in AZ on a hardtail. took 16th our of 80

a 120-140 travel bike can do A LOT
    Too Many .

Formerly of Kent
    I wouldn't hesitate to do plenty of Pro/Open XC races on a 120mm bike.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I wouldn't hesitate to do plenty of Pro/Open XC races on a 120mm bike.

Agree, I keep saying it, but a 120mm travel bike is of little to no handicap except for short track XC or some older (yet still fun) two-track style XC racing. I raced 120mm & 130mm bikes exclusively in pro/open XC, endurance, and enduro for a few years results were good in each.

Go race and don't sweat it...maybe get some XC tires, but that's all you would need to do. IF you really are looking for a type of race practically designed around your bike, look to a 80-100 miler over rough terrain.

Formerly of Kent
    Moab Rocks might be in the cards next year, in which case a 120mm bike would be perfect.

Death from Below.