mtbr member
    May 2013

All mountain/trail bike recommendations

Hey everyone,

So I'm new to this forum, just wanted to ask for some recommendations. So I just graduated and instead of traveling the world, decided to spend my money on a new bike. I was looking around for an all mountain or trail bike. I'm looking for a 26 full suspension bike. I'm not totally sure which ones are decent. I currently own a trek 4300 and assume that any new bike would probably be an upgrade than this one. I want to spend around $1500-$2000, max of $2500. I also been looking on craiglist but I'm kind of scare spending that much on a used bike just because I'm not totally sure how reliable the bike are since some are 3-6 years old (even though they have awesome components). Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttran037 View Post
    I currently own a trek 4300
    You can try Trek Fuel Ex 4 or 5

Indonesian mtbr
    i ride giant trance

but for more pedalling efficiency i want :

pivot mach 5.7 (dw link)
    or
    polygon ax 3.0 (fs2 link)

undercover brother
    With $2500 budget, you will be able to find a decent trail bike. Look at your LBS(s) and see what they carry. You may also want to look into a slack hardtail, as you will get more bike for that budget. Buying a higher end used bike can be stressful if you are not completely bike savy, and know what to look for. I've been burnt from buying used, but I have also found some gems as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you go used, nice bikes that have just sat around and 1 or 2 years old are a good buy. If the rear cogs are still all chromey and chainrings new looking, are good things to look for. Also brake pad material and brake rotor condition, how much crud is on the fork seal area, no rattles throughout the bike. Kinda like buying a used car.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I recently was in the almost same exact situation as you, was riding a Trek 4300 and was looking for a new bike in that price range. I ended up going with Santa Cruz Heckler RAM and I haven't regretted it one bit. The bike is $2499, but you get something with some travel and the components are actually decent. I have used this bike for the last 4 months and I have yet to find something to complain about. The pedal efficiency is there when you lock out the bike (I weigh ~260 and 6'3") and even in the trail mode the pedal bob is still at a minimum. Take a look at it if you want something new.

mtbr member

All mountain/trail bike recommendations

JensonUSA is one of many online stores that blow out FS bikes that will fit your price range. I would try your LBS first for deals and a sure fit but if that's not an option this may work

http://m.jensonusa.com/All-Mountain-...tain-Bikes?s=l

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    giant trance for trail or reign for all mountain are good bang for buck bikes.

Indonesian mtbr
    Quote Originally Posted by akiracornell View Post
    giant trance for trail or reign for all mountain are good bang for buck bikes.
    at the same price range....polygon collosus ax 3.0 (all mountain) or polygon collosus tx 3.0 (trail) would be better choice....(better pedalling efficiency and better components) but.......sure......lower known brand

you can googling: "collosus tx 3.0 2012 review" or "collosus ax 3.0 2012 review"
    or " fs2 link"

mtbr member
    Dude go on a trip! ****ing bum around eruope for a while or vacation in austrailia. **** then buy a beater bike later on. Go see the world dude

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey everyone, thanks for all the reply. Went shopping around at my LBS. Tested out a few: trek fuel ex 7, specialize camber, and specialize stumpjumper. I was in between the trek fuel ex 7 and specialize stumpjumper, I really like both. I decided on the trek fuel ex 7 just because the specialize stumpjumper was out of my budget at the time. I really was deciding to wait till July/August when the 2014 specialize bikes are release since my cousin knows a guy from specialize who could give me the bike at wholesale price (~25-30% off the msrp). Unfortunately, he told me the warehouse was out of stock on the medium frame specialize stumpjumper. Since I just graduated from medical school and I will be starting residency on June 20th, I really wanted to do some riding on an awesome bike before I lose all my freedom lolol. So I decided on buying the trek fuel ex 7. The LBS guys did give me an awesome deal, 2000$ for the 2013 trek fuel ex 7 with free 5 year red shield warranty. Can use that extra 500$ for a roof rack.

I also did looked at the heckler. When I was doing research, I really like the heckler (reviews were pretty awesome, and sounds like a solid bike), but it was hard finding a LBS dealer who carried hecklers. I did see them at Sports Chalet but I really didn't like the components they came with. I really liked the fox shocks on the trek fuel ex 7.

Finally made a done deal, bike comes in tomorrow, super stoke.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Dude go on a trip! ****ing bum around eruope for a while or vacation in austrailia. **** then buy a beater bike later on. Go see the world dude
    haha was planning to do a tour in Asia with some friends but the plan fell through do to family reasons

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ttran037 View Post
    Hey everyone, thanks for all the reply. Went shopping around at my LBS. Tested out a few: trek fuel ex 7, specialize camber, and specialize stumpjumper. I was in between the trek fuel ex 7 and specialize stumpjumper, I really like both. I decided on the trek fuel ex 7 just because the specialize stumpjumper was out of my budget at the time. I really was deciding to wait till July/August when the 2014 specialize bikes are release since my cousin knows a guy from specialize who could give me the bike at wholesale price (~25-30% off the msrp). Unfortunately, he told me the warehouse was out of stock on the medium frame specialize stumpjumper. Since I just graduated from medical school and I will be starting residency on June 20th, I really wanted to do some riding on an awesome bike before I lose all my freedom lolol. So I decided on buying the trek fuel ex 7. The LBS guys did give me an awesome deal, 2000$ for the 2013 trek fuel ex 7 with free 5 year red shield warranty. Can use that extra 500$ for a roof rack.

I also did looked at the heckler. When I was doing research, I really like the heckler (reviews were pretty awesome, and sounds like a solid bike), but it was hard finding a LBS dealer who carried hecklers. I did see them at Sports Chalet but I really didn't like the components they came with. I really liked the fox shocks on the trek fuel ex 7.

Finally made a done deal, bike comes in tomorrow, super stoke.
    Yeah, here in Cincy, there is one dealer of SC bikes and that is Reser, and they are good people and great to work with. They must of had the DAM version at the shop because the RAM comes with all SLX and up components. Glad to see that you got something you wanted. Good luck and rip the trail.