mtbr member
    Jun 2010

All Mountain tire choice - Vancouver/Squamish/Pacific Northwest region

Hi there,

It's been a while since I've been riding, and I'm finally seriously getting back into things with my wife (she's a biker too), as we can alternate between riding and taking care of Mr. Drools, as I like to call my 10 month old son.

My tires however need replacing, and I'm looking for some advice on what to get. Any ideas? Some background and my own thoughts below.

For riding background, I'm in the Vancouver area and tend to ride what passes for XC here on my Rocky ETSX - think Squamish trails, light North Shore, Burnaby Mountain, Galbraith down south in Bellingham, etc. For those unfamiliar with the place names, think moderately long logging/fire-road climbs, rooty, twisty technical (and at times steep) descents, and lots of tricksy skinny stunts and woodwork. And rain - lots of it from fall to spring, moderated by Indian summers in between.

For the current rubber, I've got an Kenda Excavator 2.1 on the rear, and I need to replace the front - I was running a Panaracer Cinder 2.2, but the center knobs are just about done. I've got a spare WTB Wolverine 2.2, but I've heard they suck at wet and are only so-so in the front - seriously thinking of it though due to light weight. Also have Kenda Nevegal Stick-E 2.35s, but I hate how they roll on in the dry - a prolonged ride on pavement when riding in Bend, OR using the Nevegals was the slowest rolling experience in my life. I've traditionally run Fire XC Pro's before in my younger days (usually 2.1s in the rear, and rarely a 2.1 in front which I found to be not so great for more technical stuff), and I've found that they're so-so in the wet. Biggest fear right now is wet weather - roots, mud, and slimy rock and woodwork. I'm still scarred from doing the Squamish Test of Metal last year in the wet.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Minions or bust. In the 2.35 size version. Trail Kings/Rubber Queens are also pretty good. Mountain Kings are also passable. Welcome back to the sport
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Maxxis Crossmark on the rear
    Maxxis High Roller 2 on the front
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes. Minions at top of list. Conti trail king/rubber queens would be great too. In dry season, pick up something faster for the rear like Maxxis ardent, crossmark, or ikon (in new 2.35 size). Schwalbe Hans Dampfs are nice, but less durable and very expensive unless you order from Europe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks all for the feedback so far - definitely given me a lot of food for thought! I'm grabbing some Minions fairly soon, so I'll post my experiences with them - judging from the average cost of Minions this time of year, they must be pretty primo tires!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    there are faster choices for the rear than minion dhf , not the dhr. the dhf it is probably the time trusted choice for a front with its progressive traction cornering. the trail king 2.2 and 2.4 chili compound have also become a popular choice. the 2.4 tk is by the largest casing. then the 2.5 minion comes in at about 2.35 actual. then the 2.2 tk is about to size and the 2.35 minion comes in near 2.15.
    if your gonna do the dhf rear I would go with the 2.35 60a compound. steel or folding bead. but I still prefer a faster tire for pedaling IMO. but it track like its on rails for sure. but it might be perfect for your condition. im in so cal with mostly hardpack and loosecover so clearing mud isn't a issue.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Akira is right. I should have clarified that Minions (and HR's and Butchers - basically tread pattern clones ie no intermediate knobs, tall cornering knobs and open channels) are optimal for front. For rear lots of people use Ardents etc.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    I agree with you about Nevegals being slowwwww but that Stick-E compound ran at lower pressures tubeless in our wet rooty mud does work.
    Note to self: get new tires for Oregon trip.
    2012 Trek Remedy 9.8...Yep, the one with the little wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikiguy View Post
    I agree with you about Nevegals being slowwwww but that Stick-E compound ran at lower pressures tubeless in our wet rooty mud does work.
    Note to self: get new tires for Oregon trip.
    Heh, if you're doing the Mrazek trail around Bend, OR, be warned that if you decide to do the whole Enchilada without shuttling, parking along the Cascade Hwy, up Storm King-Skyliners, going up past Tumalo Falls and down all the way to Shevlin Park, it is an exceeding loooong and hot ride back along the highway - but you will be grinning ear to ear, trust me. Truly epic. And yes, do NOT use Nevegals for that ride. You will regret the highway portion, guaranteed.

mtbr member
    mtang2, Thanks for the tip. The does sound like a good loop. Last time down there we really enjoyed the Tumalo Falls (and all the stuff above) area.
    2012 Trek Remedy 9.8...Yep, the one with the little wheels.