mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm All Mountain Short List (F/S)

I'm trying to make my decision on a full suspension all mountain set up. I've narrowed my choices to:

Santa Cruz Nomad
    Transition Covert
    Intense Tracer
    Giant Riegn

This will be my first F/S bike though I've ridden friends and one thing I've noticed is the confidence the F/S gives to tackle things I would never do in my H/T. I'm no huckster but I do like to take jumps and smaller drops (3-4ft drops). Obviously with my H/T background I want to keep the pedal capability too. I'd say I'm an aggressive all mountain rider.

Thanks for all your input.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Nomad is awesome, just expensive (I liked the older one better too).
    Reign is a REALLY nice bike; lots of them round these parts, I think pricing is probably pretty good.
    Tracer .... I have never seen an intense bike whose pivots weren't bad quickly. Maybe I know people with crap bikes, but seriously. Having said that, I have never ridden nor seen one in person.
    Covert ... I love Transition bikes, never rode or seen a covert in person.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Have you looked at the Specialized Enduro...everyone I know that owns one loves it...and the new 2010 looks wicked.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    2010 Tracer VVP2. Biased but rightfully so. Amazing bike. Spend some time in the Intense section and check out the Tracer Photo thread, awesome rides in there

Bad pivots? Come on, really? Hand-built in the USA

mtbr member
    Ok, just So you know tcs35, these threads always turn into people telling you to buy whatever bike they own, even though they know nothing about the other bikes, so take all advice with that knowledge.

I bought an 09 Nomad this summer, coming off an Enduro SL. The Nomad is pricy, and it took me weeks to get the suspension dialed in. The bike is absolutely off the hook though. I take it downhilling, I pedal it up mountains, flat and fast, slow and tech, this bike does it all insanely well. It's twice the bike my Enduro was(and it literally cost twice as much). It's going to struggle on a true downhill run vs a downhill bike, and it's not going to keep up with a 22lb XC bike, but everything else it will hold it's own with most bikes in the market IMO.

Judging by your riding, I would say you would absolutely not be disappointed with a Nomad, but do lots of research and ask lots of questions.

Mal Ad Osteo
    Have you had a chance to ride any of them?

Of those listed I've only ridden the Nomad, and its a KILLER bike for AM. Much better all around AM bike than the Blur LT2, and it still climbs like a beast.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by IntenseMojo
    2010 Tracer VVP2. Biased but rightfully so. Amazing bike. Spend some time in the Intense section and check out the Tracer Photo thread, awesome rides in there

Bad pivots? Come on, really? Hand-built in the USA
    Claiming something was "Hand built in the USA" hardly invalidates my statement. It's not like something handbuilt is necessarily any better than something that is built identically by a robot 10x faster .. repeatability does have it's advantages.

ANYHOW, after reading reviews (not on this site), I stand by my statement. Also, I was asking my buddy what Intense frame my friend's shop was replacing the pivots on so often, he couldn't remember, but that frame is on it's way to warrantee for the headtube ripping off apparently.

mtbr member
    "I'm no huckster but I do like to take jumps and smaller drops (3-4ft drops)."

Bro, these bikes are OVERKILL. Look at the Blur LT, Spider 2 and Trance X instead. They will easily take these drops.

Freeriding Feline
    Yeah, another Nomad rider here, and I can say the bike is awesome.
    It'll have you looking for 5-6 ft drops.
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

mtbr member
    Try a Nicolai Helius AM, very expensive, but worth every penny.

mtbr member
    out of your choices i'd go with the 2010 Giant. if you want another to consider: Pivot Mach 5.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks all for the input... I agree with hitek79 that the threads turn into biased talk about one's own bike. However, I appreciate the feedback.

Timpanogos, thanks for the input. I do want to spend wisely and not overkill and get a bike way beyond my capability, though I would hope that with a f/s frame I'd be able to do more and be a bit more aggressive. (But I'll take the advice and revisit Specialized)

I'm trying to get away from the XC geometry as my H/T is one sweet ride, but taking those drops (especially to flats) get scary sometimes. Hence I'm looking at a solid AM F/S that is relatively low maintenance. By that I understand the F/S will have more maintenance but I don't want bearing replacements every year despite keeping up with typical required daily/yearly maintenance.

I have ridden the Covert and it feels nice, haven't ridden the Nomad but planing on a bike shop trip to try it out.

mtbr member
    I love my Nomad. It just pedals and climbs almost as efficiently as my Top fuel. It obviously isn't as fast, but it's very confidence inspiring. I come from a XC background, and it's just so much fun riding a Nomad!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Specialized Enduro SL vs. Santa Cruz Nomad

here is a thread on some similar discussion...i am new to this forum and not that familiar with search function...but you might be able to pull some addition info through search that might help

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    Ok, just So you know tcs35, these threads always turn into people telling you to buy whatever bike they own, even though they know nothing about the other bikes, so take all advice with that knowledge.
    Lol. That's so true. I think that, most people would love their bike, no ones going to say that the hate their bike, cause i'm sure if they did, theyd get a new one already. If you think about it, which ever bike you'd get, you'd probably love it too if you haven't ridden the others. So the best thing you could do, is to try all the bikes you are considering if you can, then you can really decide which bike you will come to love... lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tsc35
    Hence I'm looking at a solid AM F/S that is relatively low maintenance. By that I understand the F/S will have more maintenance but I don't want bearing replacements every year despite keeping up with typical required daily/yearly maintenance.
    If you are open to suggestions, maybe you could consider the GT Force/Sanction bikes. They are 6" travel bikes, have a good suspension linkage, and the frames are stiff. They use to large pivots which uses standard headset bearings so maintenance is low, and easy when the time comes.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by peternguyen
    If you are open to suggestions, maybe you could consider the GT Force/Sanction bikes. They are 6" travel bikes, have a good suspension linkage, and the frames are stiff. They use to large pivots which uses standard headset bearings so maintenance is low, and easy when the time comes.
    I owned a force 3.0 for a short time. I would def not call it a low maintenance bike. the drop outs and the pivots required constant attention or they would squeal like a pig. Also for the type of AM riding I do... the force's geo is less than ideal.

I think the covert, the tracer or the nomad would be amazing rigs. For the money that those bikes are in I'd be looking higher up in the giant line such as the reign x2.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime
    I owned a force 3.0 for a short time. I would def not call it a low maintenance bike. the drop outs and the pivots required constant attention or they would squeal like a pig. Also for the type of AM riding I do... the force's geo is less than ideal.
    It's unfortunate to hear that. I have not had any problems with my Force. As for geometry, the Sanction is slacker and has a burlier spec, which is for more aggressive all mountain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Giant Reign..its an awesome setup

Nomads awesome too

Special Lister
    No 575?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    +1 to the 575 option, although I'd opt for the Covert over any of the other options. I've ridden my friends, w/ Hammerschmidt. It's a great bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ok, here's an update:

The Nomad is probably out not because I don't like it but price wise. To get the same setup as the covert would cost almost a couple grand more.

I test rode an 09 Enduro, and I like it a lot. The 2010 looks sweet but if I can find a 09 large I could score a deal as the 2010 model is completely different. Also I'm going to try out the Trek Remedy.

I haven't tried an Intense and I know I'm going to hear it but I'm no Giant fan.

I think my short list is now:

Transition Covert
    Specialized Enduro
    Intense Tracer
    Trek Remedy

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Considered it but it not on the short list.

You should go with the Remedy or Enduro.

I suggest you try out the remedy then decide.

mtbr member
    I had an Enduro SL, too many suspension issues. Go with the Remedy. It's a killer bike. Plenty of guys are going just as big on a Remedy as a Nomad.

Members who have read this thread: 0