Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Chris Bling

Wink All mountain Rim of choice for being agressive:)

Hey guys, did some looking for rim preferences for all mountain use, but came back with mostly complete wheelsets. I am looking to rebuild my king wheels with some new rims and was wondering if we could find a common theme for favorite rims

Currently have sun s.o.s. Rims and have really enjoyed them. Was looking at some i23's but I am not sure if they are hype or the real thing.

Anyway, and suggestions or votes would be great!!
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Re: All mountain rim of choice

Flow.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Mavic is supposed to release a new ex821 rim soon if you don't mind to wait a little

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Mavic ex721 is my rim of choice for pretty much every type of riding.

mtbr member

Re: All mountain Rim of choice for being agressive:)

Try the i25 and report back on them. BTW, why can't I find these in complete wheelsets? Only rims that I can see.

Chris Bling
    I am also thinking of doing a Sun Singletrack wheel build. Found a few of them on the interweb. They used to come on all of the bigger hit bikes. I had them on my Coiler and loved them!
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    Try the i25 and report back on them. BTW, why can't I find these in complete wheelsets? Only rims that I can see.
    Wtb wheelsets are the Stryker. Their rims are sold as just rims.

b a n n e d
    I've been running i23's for over a year now. I'm not gentle on the rims and they've taken some pretty burly hits including lift assisted riding without missing a beat. They took one pretty serious hit that dented the sidewall (was running too low of pressure, like <20), but the tire never lost air and still runs true. I'd buy them again in a second.

The newest versions look to be shedding a few grams too. If you want a slightly wider profile, give a good look at the i25's.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've been running i23's since spring of this year and have gone out of my way to abuse the hell out of them. I've done lots of jumps & drops, some lift assisted riding, crashed a bunch, being hit by a car, and the wheels are still true. Like 007, I do have a minor dent in the sidewall, I flatted on a DH run and had to ride it out through the rocks before I could come to a stop. Bent it back with a crescent wrench and you can't really tell it's there anymore unless you run your fingers along the edge of the rim.

I'm usually fairly gentle on rims, but I'm also pretty good at breaking them when I'm in the "f**k it, huck it" mood, which I was for most of this year. I'll probably have to get a new bike before I can do something dumb enough to break the i23 without putting myself in the hospital.

mtbr member
    Another vote for Stans Flows.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

insert sarcasm here
    I ride on Arches, not Flows, but I was watching the Red Bull Rampage and was shocked to see some dudes on Flows. Says a lot about the strength of Flow rims, given that those guys are freeriders hitting HUGE drops. Take it with a grain a salt though, given that they are pro riders and probably get free wheelsets whenever they trash the old ones, but still, that says something.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

mtbr member
    I've ridden on Flows and i23's and I like the Flows more. They seem to hold up a little better and stay true longer. I like the i23's but if I had to choose, Flows.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Another vote for Flow EX, I've put two sets (26er and 650b) through their paces and have never had an issue with either set.

mtbr member
    Sun Inferno 27 or 31. Those rims are not only strong, single-eyelet, welded and purty but they are reasonably priced. I have some Flows too but Stan's are just too damn expensive for a simple extrusion.

I'm a 275 geek so I've been running the Inferno 27s for most of this season. Great replacement for my old Blunts.

I'm and old-skooler when it comes to wheels and have been building wheels for 20 years. I think that a single-eyelet (at least) is crucial for a strong, serviceable wheel. In the past few months, I've built 26, 275 and 29 wheels for people for racing, aggressive riding and general trail use.

If only King would come out with a XX1 driver!

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

b a n n e d

Chris Bling
    Probably the old 7000 rim
    Affordable Custom Wheels

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Probably the old 7000 rim
    Yup. Glad I left the stickers on there.

mtbr member
    Velocity Blunts
    Spank Oozy/Subrosa Evo
    In addition to others people have mentioned here: (Flow/Flow EX, i23)

unrooted
    Quote Originally Posted by gbug View Post
    I ride on Arches, not Flows, but I was watching the Red Bull Rampage and was shocked to see some dudes on Flows. Says a lot about the strength of Flow rims, given that those guys are freeriders hitting HUGE drops. Take it with a grain a salt though, given that they are pro riders and probably get free wheelsets whenever they trash the old ones, but still, that says something.
    I was on the fence about whether to get flows or arches, I think I could have gotten away with the arches, I went with the flows because I wanted to make sure they would last, but I would love the 1/2 pound in rotational weight. Guess I'll have to get wimpier tires to make up for it?!?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Arch EX /Flow EX (depending on weight, trails, probability of casing front wheel/flat landings, etc.)-Front rim; used Arch EX front rim for an sb66, the rim lasted 2 rear triangles & was going strong when I sold the bike.

WTB I25- Rear rim-Just mind the 4D drilling/spoke hole direction and spoke tension when building. Very happy with it so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Flows are great and Mavic 721s have always been a good choice.

For a rear wheel I have been running an updated DT Swiss FR600 (36h) laced to a Hope Pro Evo II and it is shocking how well this build is holding up.. 2 months in now with roughly 300 miles on it and spinning perfectly true and blazingly fast.

I've probably crashed a dozen or more times and destroyed one rear rotor and the wheel is mint. Very happy so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think its possible those issue with i23 could be a lacing issure. each hole is drilled directon to relieve lateral spoke and thread tension. I have 7000 series i23 for 8 months and no issues. I have my fingers crossed now. I really thought 4d drilling was an ingenious idea. that's what sold be on them over flows.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i23's and inferno 31's are what I've been rocking. They are both light(ish), durable and stiff. They build up well. if I'd have to choose only one it would be the infernos. Though I'm over 200 and not gentle on equipment so take that into account.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Used Flows with Supercomps on King Discgotechs (pre IS hubs) for 5 days at Mont Saint Anne on everything except the two most DH trails without a problem and years later still no problems except for Stan's fluid corrosion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast