mtbr member
    May 2006

all mountain rig for a big rider

Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a 5" travel all mountain bike for a tall rider. I'm 6'6" 230 lbs and want something solid for going up and down the mountain. Looking at the Can Prophet 1000... anything else that will fit someone my size?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Turner 5 Spot XXL. (I just hope my S-works doesn't endo on me for saying that)

You will pay $200 more if you buy a new one in XXL *but you get free custom paint job I believe). look on Ebay.

Custom User Title
    I sometimes ride with a guy that size and he has a VPFree.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I like the Prophet, but I can't help feeling it might be a bit flimsy for a big guy. Perhaps others can comment on that?

You should certainly consider a Ventana. An X5 would be right in the ballpark for the type of riding you describe. Light, very strong and top quality. www.ventanausa.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm 6'4" and have a number of similar issues with finding the right frame. The Prophet did not feel right to me. It was not the length so much as the angles. The FR setting felt better than the XC setting, but still, just not right. If it fits you (XL), I would not worry so much about its durability, it seems like it can take a fair bit - maybe run a coil shock on the rear, though.

@ 6'6" the XXL Turner might be a good option. The VP Free runs big, but it is an awful lot of bike to pedal around.
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by uktrailmonster
    I like the Prophet, but I can't help feeling it might be a bit flimsy for a big guy. Perhaps others can comment on that?

You should certainly consider a Ventana. An X5 would be right in the ballpark for the type of riding you describe. Light, very strong and top quality. www.ventanausa.com
    I second the Ventana. Fit is important and the bike is super stiff.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by welkerjason
    Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a 5" travel all mountain bike for a tall rider. I'm 6'6" 230 lbs and want something solid for going up and down the mountain. Looking at the Can Prophet 1000... anything else that will fit someone my size?

XL Yeti 575 is a pretty large bike, but its 5.75 in. rear travel. I am 6'4 and I really like this bike. I am running a 90mm stem. Im thinking it would fit ya pretty well. It can come in under 30lbs too.

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

Ride on
    Jan 2004
    A tall friend of mine had a similar problem finding a bike with a long enough top tube. He ended up with an XL Enduro. It is burlier than what you are asking for, but it actually climbs quite well.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hey, the Yeti looks good, I'll look more into the 575... great suggestion, hadn't looked at that one yet, but the geometry looks like it may work. thanks...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hey, the Yeti looks good, I'll look more into the 575... great suggestion, hadn't looked at that one yet, but the geometry looks like it may work. thanks...
    I demoed the Yeti 575, but found it a bit too flexible at the back end. Very nice bike otherwise though. I went for the fractionally heavier Ventana X5 in the end, which is rock solid. I'm 6'1" 190 lbs by the way.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    At 6'6" you might be better off looking at a 29'er. More in proportion to your body. Ventana has the http://www.ventanausa.com/frame_elcapitan.html that you can get with 5" rockers and Lenz has the http://www.lenzsport.com/alpinebrawler.html

mtbr member
    an X5, perhaps a custom would be great

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uktrailmonster

Both me and my father are riding Prophets, I'm 199cm and 85kg (stickman ) and my father is about the same size but about 105kg and that bike is perfectly capable of everything we throw it at. And the weight is huge advantage while climbing and for me AM means a lot of climbing and a lot of descents, up and down, up and down - can't wait for the weekend.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I had a X5, traded it for a 29er El Capitan. Both are excellent frames. With me being at 260lbs the frame doesn't get noodlly when I jump logs and it blows through rock gardens with ease. Ventana is easy to work with. Single pivots can be reliable and fun, for example the Heckler, but are a little flexy in the rear compared to a four bar. Actually, uktrailmonster's profession as a Formula 1 engineer and the wet enviroment that he rides in heavily influenced my decision to purchase a Ventana without a test ride. UK, if you happen to read this, thanks.
    Last edited by DrDon; 05-06-2006 at 05:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by abscar
    I had a X5, traded it for a 29er El Capitan. Both are excellent frames. With me being at 260lbs the frame doesn't get noodlly with I jump logs and it blows through rock gardens with ease. Ventana is easy to work with. Single pivots can be reliable and fun, for example the Heckler, but are a little flexy in the rear compared to a four bar. Actually, uktrailmonster's profession as a Formula 1 engineer and the wet enviroment that he rides in heavily influenced my decision to purchase a Ventana without a test ride. UK, if you happen to read this, thanks.
    No problem. Glad I helped point you in that direction. The El Capitan seems like a good choice for tall riders too. Still on my X5 after 18 months and still love it. I never have any doubts recommending these great bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Good job! great AM bike

Check out the 06 Rocky Mountian slayer 70 it is an excelent AM bike and comes in a 22" frame for us tall riders.