Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

All Mountain Post vs. Gravity Dropper Turbo

Hi,

I need to get one of these for my Blur XC with the 4" drop. Can anyone comment on which one is the better quality or which one is better over the other or are they the same? Cost is a "no" issue, just want to get the better lightest one.

Looks like both can drop 1" and full 4".

Thanks for the help!
    If I'm not climbing, I'm not riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    From the reading I did, and comparing the specifications and designs, I would personally lean towards the AMP. However, I have not actually gotten a chance to try either one at this point so take this with a grain of salt.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarc
    Hi,

I need to get one of these for my Blur XC with the 4" drop. Can anyone comment on which one is the better quality or which one is better over the other or are they the same? Cost is a "no" issue, just want to get the better lightest one.

Looks like both can drop 1" and full 4".

Thanks for the help!
    I dont think you can go wrong either way. The 3 settings is key. I use them all the time. I've been on my amp for 3 months and I love it. My bud rides a regular Gravity Dropper and he loves it. His did just blow up recently but he's a ripper. He's in the process of getting it replaced.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have both in the same 0-->1"-->4" version. I used the GD for about 3 months and then switched to the AMP for 3 months on the same bike They are very close in how they feel. I thought the GD boot looked goofy and would get a lot of comments, "What's that on your seat post." No one notices the AMP. The cable on the GD sticks out at a 90 degree angle from the seat post, just asking to be damaged (it has bent but it still works). The AMP required grease around the seat post parts in order to change height without sticking. I crashed once with the AMP and broke the handle bar lever. This appears to be an Achilles' heal and is poorly designed compared to the GD, which is more robust. Cost me $20 to replace. Also, the handle bar lever on the AMP kept coming loose, not from the bar, but the actual lever that spins from the piece which remains fixed. Lock-tite on the hex nut fixed that.

Although the AMP has required a bit more maintenance, it's the one I am using because of the lower profile.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

All Mountain Post

About the AMP clamp;

They have re-designed the clamp for the handlebar lever. I had the old one, it broke, and they sent me the new stronger one for free. Been using it for 6 months now, it's second nature.

I have no problems with my AMP, and the customer service has been excellent when I needed it. I like the look of it, at the time it was cheaper, and I think it was lighter.

Here's another vote for the AMP.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I've gotta throw a vote for gravity dropper. This will be the third season on mine, it's nearly maintenance free- just throw some lube on the moving parts every 4-6 months. I bought mine used and Wayne transferred the warranty to me, how cool is that? When he beefed up the design, I sent mine in and for $15 he overhauled the post and brought it up to spec with new parts. Less than a week door-to-door! Everytime I call, he's answered the phone or gotten back to me within 2hrs.

Another bonus for the gravity dropper, there's only 5 moving parts total! (lever, cable, magnet, pin, post). A great simple durable design and well executed.

I wanted to try the AMP since they have the 5" drop coming. 3 emails, 2 phone calls, got one short reply and no follow up. Money was ready, I would have bought one if they'd only taken the time to just return my call and answer my questions.

RHRF!
    I'll also put in another vote for the GD. I've got the standard remote with a 4" drop on my Motolite and it has made drop-ins that used to freak me out, a piece of cake now. I've only had it for 4 months but I will never have another bike without one!
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

Flowshizzle Baby

AMP vs GD questions

For those that have these:

Do you have any issues using the shim? I'm a clyde and worry about using a shim for my 30.9 seatpost.

Do you think the 4inch drop is that big of a difference over the 3inch version?

Thanks,

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo
    Do you think the 4inch drop is that big of a difference over the 3inch version?

Thanks,
    It depends on where you ride but I'd say definitely. Get the 4", 5" would be even better. Two reasons why- both companies offer multiple drop positions. With a 1 or 2" drop to cover pedaly descents and technical stuff, the lower position becomes "just get the saddle out of my way". 4" is mostly out of the way, on true black-diamond steep terrain you might want it even lower.

On a gravity dropper, changing your drop height is done bt ordering a cheap replaceable inner post available through their website. He even takes your old one back as a "core charge" so it's cheap to experiment.

The limiting factor is how much exposed seatpost you have at full pedaling height. Only riders with really long inseams or frames with low standover and short seat tubes will be able to use the 5" drop posts. Get the most amount of drop your frame & inseam can take, definitely with an intermediate 1" or 2" dop.

mtbr member

4" Model

Just talked to Dan at PCC and he said that the 4" model is about 3-4 weeks away.
    You gotta Get Up to Get Down!

aka dan51
    I've used both and prefer the GD.
    Mine had the 1" and 4" drop. I found getting it into the 1" drop was a PITA, probably my own issue. That post broke, so I replaced it with the 4" only drop.

The AMP felt poorly built and required bumping it with my legs/butt more to get it to operate properly. It was so bad I often would just not even try to move the seat. It was an earlier model, so hopefully they have redesigned it. They do have a better lever IMO though. And the GD boot does look lame.

I weigh 220 with gear, and haven't had any problems with the shims sliding in the seat tube.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

Flowshizzle Baby

Good to know

Thanks for the feedback Dan

Phil from San Diego
    I'm considering getting one of these... but the thing is, I normally ride with my seat 6" above the seat colar (seat colar to bottom of seat rails) and don't really want it any higher.

I read for the AMP post, the minimum exposed post length (seat colar to rails) is 6"... so that means with the seat extended, I'll be at 9" for the 3" model and that's way too tall.

Can someone measure the length from seat colar to seat rail of the gravitydropper or turbo model with it in the "lowered" position? If it's too much more than 3", I guess I'm out of luck.

Thanks,

Phil.

BIGME
    Just ordered the GD turbo. Spoke with Kim before ordering and asked some of the same questions. Her and Wayne were both very nice and willing to answer any questions.

With the 4" extended out, the measurment from the top of the seat tube to the seat clamp will be 7 1/2 in (on the turbo model). So with the seatpost down the measurement would only be about 3 1/2 inches from the tube to seat clamp. I was a little confused and thought it was going to be 7 1/2 with the post in the down position which wouldn't work with my stubby little legs.

Hope that helps. If not give GD a call. they were very helpful. I was going to purchase the AMP but had the same issue with little to no response to my emails and phone calls. and the post that I wanted is always unavailable and 4-5 weeks away. GD held my hand through the ordering process to make sure I got the correct measurments and it was at my house within 2 days of my order.

Flaccid Member
    When I bought my GD in Jan this year, I thought the 4" was the model I wanted. Turns out it was a bit too much. They were instrumental in sending me a 3" stem, went through how to change it out and adjust it perfectly over the phone, and the service was excellent. I really think the Bionicon Edison should have it as a factory option on bikes they sell in the California market place.

I don't know how I rode so long with out one... I doubt another bike of mine will ever be ridden without a GD.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prexus2005
    I'm considering getting one of these... but the thing is, I normally ride with my seat 6" above the seat colar (seat colar to bottom of seat rails) and don't really want it any higher.

I read for the AMP post, the minimum exposed post length (seat colar to rails) is 6"... so that means with the seat extended, I'll be at 9" for the 3" model and that's way too tall.

Can someone measure the length from seat colar to seat rail of the gravitydropper or turbo model with it in the "lowered" position? If it's too much more than 3", I guess I'm out of luck.

Thanks,

Phil.

I've been corresponding with the guys at Gravity Dropper fast few days. They are really great. So here is what they say, "you need 7 inches from the top of your seat tube to the bottom of the seat rails in order to run a 4 drop post, you need 6 inches to run a 3 drop post." They also recommend at least 3" of seat post into the seat tube.

I didn't measure to the bottom of the seat rail so I need to re-measure tonight. See the attached pictures where I measured 6.5" incorrectly. I think I might just make the 4" drop from the looks of it.

Hopefully I'll be able to order the 4" drop Turbo with the 350mm post tomorrow. Can't wait to get home to measure!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prexus2005
    Phil.
    I just realized what you we're saying here. I don't think you have it right. The minimum exposed post length refers to the measurement of the seat post you have now. It needs to measure a minimum of 6.25" from the top of the seat tube to the bottom of the seat rail. If it meets that measurement than you can use the 3" drop post in the extended position. You are not adding 3" to the 6.25". Further more, if you want a 4" drop, then the measurement from top of seat tube to bottom of seat rail needs to be 7.25".

mtbr member
    ok, I re-measured last night...looks like I'm stuck with having to get the 3" drop...bummer...I guess 3" is better than 0".

Any body know if the extra 1" will make a big difference? Keep in mind I'm really bad at down hill, think of it this way...when your on the freeway and there's a car in front of you going about 10-15mph slower than traffic holding all lanes up...well, that's me...

Phil from San Diego
    Thanks for taking the measurments. That helps alot. Looks like the GD tubro just might work.

Personally, I think 3" is plenty and should get the seat out of the way.

Will give GD a call tomorrow.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarc
    ok, I re-measured last night...looks like I'm stuck with having to get the 3" drop...bummer...I guess 3" is better than 0".

Any body know if the extra 1" will make a big difference? Keep in mind I'm really bad at down hill, think of it this way...when your on the freeway and there's a car in front of you going about 10-15mph slower than traffic holding all lanes up...well, that's me...
    I have an AMP with the 3 inch drop and I'm glad I didn't wait for the 4 inch. I feel like the 4 inch drop would make the saddle feel nonexistent which doesn't really appeal to me.

aka dan51
    I have the 4" drop GD. At first I thought it was too much and really only wanted 2". Now I love the 4" drop and wouldn't want anything else. I suppose if I had gotten the 3" post I'd love it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

I have the GD 1"/4"

I have had my 1"/4" GD for about 2 weeks now. I use the 1" drop quite a bit, but when it gets real steep (yesterday) the 4" drop was confidence inspiring.... I suspect the 3" would have been just as good.

I don't think that I will notice the difference between 3" and 4". Just having the GD itself is a wonderful thing.

One nice thing about GD is that you can order parts for it from their website.

bobo

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It really is a shame that the GD Turbo has the cable come straight out. It just looks like a Descender Post with a cable instead of a knob. That alone makes me want to get the AMP instead. Is there any way around this? Can you use a brake noodle or something to route it better and in a clean looking fashion?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack On Wheels
    It really is a shame that the GD Turbo has the cable come straight out. It just looks like a Descender Post with a cable instead of a knob. That alone makes me want to get the AMP instead. Is there any way around this? Can you use a brake noodle or something to route it better and in a clean looking fashion?
    Just get the non-turbo version. It's cheaper and has better cable routing. Even if you get the turbo, you still have to "butt tap" the seat to lower it or raise it from the lowest to middle position. So if you think about it there's not much to be gained with the turbo version.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Just get the non-turbo version. It's cheaper and has better cable routing. Even if you get the turbo, you still have to "butt tap" the seat to lower it or raise it from the lowest to middle position. So if you think about it there's not much to be gained with the turbo version.
    I get the down-force being necessary for lowering it, but you need to butt tap it up from the lowest too? That is a let down... is the AMP the same way? Or does it spring up on its own from the lowest setting?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast