Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Where can you get either of these. I know where I can get the joplin, but wanna see all the diffrant kinds out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    Your mom feels kinda clunky.
    But hey Im not complaining.

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by evilimprdr
    Where can you get either of these. I know where I can get the joplin, but wanna see all the diffrant kinds out there.
    Gravity Dropper

AMP (All Mountain Post)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thank you sir
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    Your mom feels kinda clunky.
    But hey Im not complaining.

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004
    GD also on the basis that Wayne and Kim have some of the best customer service in the industry and really go all out to take care of thier customers.
    Problem: "Bike has trouble going up steep hills."
    Fix: Recommend pressing harder on the pedals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    you know i really have to change my tune on the GD after taking it apart to reaplace cable and housing an add a noodle to prevent kinking. The thing is put together with cheapo plastic internals that should be metal. I stripped the impossibly small hex bolt and y shop--which is very competant--doesn't have it so im waiting for warranty parts
    My Stable:
    '08 Santa Cruz Nomad
    '07 Raleigh XXIX Rigid Singlespeed 29er

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_nor_cal
    I stripped the impossibly small hex bolt and y shop--which is very competant--doesn't have it so im waiting for warranty parts
    Seconded. That bolt seems to be made of putty- it was on so tight that removal without stripping the head was impossible. I ended up cutting a new groove in the head with a dremel as a fix after GD acknowledged that it was a known problem (if so, why not just use a better part?!)

Anyway, as said before though, the folks at GD were very pleasant to deal with. I just wish the component quality was higher.

mtbr member

Smile New AMP!

Got my AMP installed last night. (0", 1", 3") Super easy install and from the get go very intuitive for the different positions. A quick ride up and down the street and she works great. With a little more practice I expect it will become second nature. I'll post back after rides this weekend.
    You gotta Get Up to Get Down!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_nor_cal
    you know i really have to change my tune on the GD after taking it apart to reaplace cable and housing an add a noodle to prevent kinking. The thing is put together with cheapo plastic internals that should be metal. I stripped the impossibly small hex bolt and y shop--which is very competant--doesn't have it so im waiting for warranty parts
    According to GD, the internals are purposefully plastic so that once the plastic wears down, you can replace it easily to remove any slop that may develop over time. I also just got a GD for my Moment. Haven't had much of a chance to ride it but it was easy to install and looks better than I expected given the goofy boot.

mtbr member
    First ride on the AMP today and I'm psyched. Worked perfectly and really made the flow of the ride more continuous. The two spots on the trail where I used to stop and lower then raise my seat became no stops at all. Now a quick push of the lever and ready set keep going. Also, other places on the trail where I used to just pedal through with my seat down now are history. Can't wait to put it to some more use, and after I do I'll post again in a few months time. Till then, AMPalicious!!!
    You gotta Get Up to Get Down!

mtbr member

Here it is...

as promised some pictures of the adjustable post. So I ended up getting the Gravity Dropper Turbo, 275 mm, 3" drop. I chose to get the one without the combined 1" drop. I ended up having to get the 3" drop post becuase I did not have the sufficient amount of post showing as per GD's requirements. The post weighs 480 grams, including all the 30.9mm spacer, cable and activating lever and the small plastic cable guides. To help offset some of the weight, I threw in a lighter saddle (WTB Rocket V SLT). Taking into account the total weight of the old Thompson post and old saddle, the difference gained in weight is 1/2 lb.

I now have 5 rides in with the new post. I have never been able to go down hill faster, with more control and no close calls as I have these past 5 rides. I don't think there is any one as bad at going downhill I am...and that's no joke! Originally I wanted the 4" drop but as it turns out, 3" is plenty. I was able to go over the rough stuff I previously tip toed over so as not to crash. Being a real weight weenie, I can certainly say that having added the 1/2 lb is more than well worth it. As a roadie, I consider myself a great climber on a road bike and mountian bike but when it came down to riding downhill, I always dreaded it because I was very likely to crash. So my rides up till this point have been fun, as long as I was going uphill. No I understand what all the fuss is about going hill and I'm very happy that I can now join the fun. And now to the pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If I'm not climbing, I'm not riding.

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004
    Congrats! Im sure you'll love your GD for days to come!
    Problem: "Bike has trouble going up steep hills."
    Fix: Recommend pressing harder on the pedals.

Moist and Delicious
    I ride with a Maverick. How come I haven't seen that yet mentioned in this thread? Is there something I don't know about the Maverick and potential incompatibility with All Mountain riding?

Curious.

BTW, I could never go back to a static post. Any of these is better than the alternative, IMHO.

Moist and Delicious
    Weird. After my post, a few extra posts miraculously appeared, mentioning the Maverick. I guess you can forget what I said, but as for the Maverick, I'd highly recommend it, as they're service department works wonders as well. They replaced a defective post, after riding for 4 months, within 1 week of my initial complaint at my LBS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nasai
    I ride with a Maverick. How come I haven't seen that yet mentioned in this thread? Is there something I don't know about the Maverick and potential incompatibility with All Mountain riding?

Curious.

BTW, I could never go back to a static post. Any of these is better than the alternative, IMHO.
    I think the Maverick is great but since they only come in 30.9 and 31mm sizes, it wouldn't fit on my bike. I think that is the limiting factor since the GD is 27.2 and can fit just about any frame with a shim. I definitely like the Speedball's handlebar actuator better than the GD.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nasai
    Weird. After my post, a few extra posts miraculously appeared, mentioning the Maverick. I guess you can forget what I said, but as for the Maverick, I'd highly recommend it, as they're service department works wonders as well. They replaced a defective post, after riding for 4 months, within 1 week of my initial complaint at my LBS.
    If I'm not mistaken, I think the Maverick, Speedball, and Crankbrothers are all one in the same.
    If I'm not climbing, I'm not riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have a Gravity dropper and have used it for 2 years without problem which is more than i can say for my buddies Maverick speedball. Granted the speedball looks better, the GD is trouble free and has 4" drop. I went from changing my seat hight 2-3 times per ride to 20.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

... and if we just ...

i bought a 3" GD about 4 monthys ago and the difference ot has made is outstanding
    before purchase i tried lowering my seat three inches and then four inches a half dozen times each and the three inches seemed to give me more control on the nasty steep bits. thanks GD for my new post. best improvement ever

mtbr member
    Well I have the GD 3` and I really like it!
    If I would buy the 4?!? Don`t know!
    I was thinking buying the 4` but a friend wanted to change is 3 GD for a 4`, so I bought the 3 second hand!

He thinks is worthy buyin a NEW 4 but not changing from 3 to 4.

Between the GD and AMP... I really like the AMP! But there are a few issues if don`t live in the US: Customs Taxes!

About the up/down action, I find very intuitive even racing DH Marathons! Put it down when reaching a technical section... put it up when it`s time to pedal! Standing up and pedal is very hard on your legs and when reaching the end you`ll notice the differences!

Conclusion:

I was really not a believer... but after some use, I can`t ride my bike without it!
    It`s heavier... yes!
    Is it a great product? Ohh yes! It should be Optional material on new bikes!!

Santa Cruz are THE BEST !

GD all the Way

Hi, I live in the UK and bought my GD as an import from the US.
    Over here it was totally unknown and even now years later I'm asked time and time what it is when riding around on my freeride bike in Wharncliffe.

As it was unknown, I bought it on a wing and a prayer not knowing if it was good or bad as years and years ago (80's) I used to use a hite rite on my fixed seat collar and wanted something similar.
    Well, no bother.

I used it for a couple of years on my Santa Cruz Tazmon XC bike in all sorts of crappy english muddy weather without any issues. The only problem I had was it not staying down properly and when I chattered with Wayne, he told me to tighten the collar on the post just hand tight and just back off a bit. I did this and it worked flawlessly since.

When I built my Santa Cruz VP-Free Freeride bike, I specced it with double chainrings and front mech as it pedals so well. So, I thought I'd buy another GD (4" drop) for the VP-Free and risk it.
    Well no worries at all and it's truely fabulous. I can actually ride about on my DH/Freeride bike without my knees around my ears, press the thumb lever and blast down the runs without any saddle issues. No need to worry about the build quality either. I've had some major stacks of 5ft + drops and big jumps and nothing damaged and it works perfectly.
    I've also smacked the remote into a tree several times when I've washed out of a bend and slammed bar 1st into it. Nothing, no problems.....

I've now also put one on my Santa Cruz Nomad.

I wouldn't have an XC / Trail / All Mountain / Freeride bike without one.

My Santa Cruz Tazmon was recently stolen, so I I've just ordered a limited Edition (only 25 for 2009) Whyte E120 Superbike and even though this Full Carbon Full Sus Trail Bike only weighs 23.5lbs complete, I'll still be swapping the nice light Carbon Easton EC90 seatposts for a GD Turbo post regardless of the weight penalty.
    It is soooooo worth the weight penalty.

They are totally brilliant and totally change the way you ride. Trails and singletrack become seamless runs and it's nice to actually being able to ride my Freeride bike around without having to get off at the end of each run to raise the seat, or riding around looking like a 10ft tall guy on a kids bike (i.e knees around my ears).

Hand on heart.... It's my single most favorite bike component ever.

Rich,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3