Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack On Wheels
    I get the down-force being necessary for lowering it, but you need to butt tap it up from the lowest too? That is a let down... is the AMP the same way? Or does it spring up on its own from the lowest setting?
    Neither the turbo or amp would require the butt-tap to get from the lowest to highest position. The non-turbo does. However all these posts will require some butt- touching to get from the lowest to intermediate position. (i.e. -4" drop to -1" drop).

Seriously, it's a non-issue. The but tap requires about the same amount of effort as pushing the lever. Think about how you will be using the post. If you don't want your butt touching the saddle, then why would you raise it? So you're going to but-tap anyways.
    Think about it... I think you will see what I mean.

Either way you have to push down on the saddle to lower it. No advantage to turbo or AMP there.

www.derbyrims.com

AMP so-far it's great

I hear the Gravity Droper is pretty much bullet proof now. AMP had some better reviews when I bought mine last fall. I also got the AMP because it looked cleaner than the GD - my bike is vain! . The AMP appears finely machined much like a Thompson post. It's flexier than a Thompson, I hear the GD is also, but with full suspension it's not an issue at all when riding.

Very easy action lowering and raising to all positions using the remote. A very small bit of fore-aft slop now but zero seat twisting slop. The spring might be ti because the post itself is almost as light as the 31.6 Thomson it replaced. I needed the Cane Creak shim that came with it to fit the 27.2 base. No slipping or noises so far with the shim or post.

About a month ago when I asked, the guy at AMP said I could get a custom 3/4 inch short drop when requested but would have to wait for a batch run. Over the years trying many seat drop heights I got used to dropping 3/4 inch to still pedal well on rough trail. But now I've gotten used to the 1 inch and will stick with it. The 4 inch is awesome for super steep, I can put both feet near flat on the ground seated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dirt Deviant
    My new build is screaming for one of these posts!!!!!
    Any ideas on how "clyde friendly" they are?
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i'm 220 with gear. i have the 4 inch turbo dropper. its awesome. period. zero issues. dude what is that boot you have on your GD i want it. it looks alot nicer than the gay boot it comes with

This guy
    what about the new sette @ $34.98?

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/166...r-Seatpost.htm
    RIDE

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_nor_cal
    i'm 220 with gear. i have the 4 inch turbo dropper. its awesome. period. zero issues. dude what is that boot you have on your GD i want it. it looks alot nicer than the gay boot it comes with
    I think you are asking about the stock neoprene dust boot on my AMP pictured above. Maybe you could email to the link from AllMountainPost.com and say your have one but it's torn and want to buy a replacement. It's probably not expensive. Although it might not fit over the pin and cable that sticks out more on the GD(?)

EastBaySteez
    Just use an old tube. Way better than the boot that comes with the post.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    do you zip tie it on the top and bottom so dirt doesnt get in?

Team Chilidog!
    GD - because they make a top-notch product and they have excellent customer service.

When I had to switch the controller from the right side to the left side (wrist injury), they had incredible turnaround and were very responsive.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

The Mountain Bike Life
    Why nothing here for the speedball/Joplin?

I have 410mm long Thomson Elite, that I when I am in XC mode I have to put all they way to the max height line....do any of these manufacturers make a post long enough?

www.derbyrims.com
    do you zip tie it on the top and bottom so dirt doesnt get in?
    That's a good idea. I think I will for the top end anyway.

BTW, to keep related threads together use the "Quote" (and remove the quoted stuff if you don't want it). The forum software usually fails to link the thread as implied it will when using "Quick reply to this message".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy

I have 410mm long Thomson Elite, that I when I am in XC mode I have to put all they way to the max height line....do any of these manufacturers make a post long enough?
    I eliminated the Joplin from the beginning because it only drops 3" and I wanted 4". As it turns out, whether I get the AMP or GD, I'll have to settle for the 3" becuase I do not have enough seat post exposed. I still won't consider the Joplin anyways because it is heavier than the others. I also read that there may be a little side to side play.

GD has a 425mm one, but it only comes in 425mm.
    If I'm not climbing, I'm not riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have a GD and I love the thing. I switched frames and had to wait after I ordered a new shim since my seat tube was different on mynew bike and damn, it was hard to ride a regular seatpost/quick release set up again.
    I have friends who had the GD and switched to the Speedball and l like the smooth feeling of the Speedball but missed the simple mechanical idea of the GD.
    Plus, the customer service at GD has been great to me.

Flowshizzle Baby

382mm

Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy

Joplin R is 382 millimeters. I just ordered one. For me a 3 inch drop is plenty since I like the seat post lower but need to raise it up to a decent height to climb out after a fun downhill run.

mtbr member
    Is there any movement (other than up or down) from the GD or AMP when new or after a season of riding or two?
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 05-11-2008 at 09:02 AM.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

illiterate or intoxicated
    If that is a question, the answer is yes on a GD. There is a small amount of fore-aft play between the sliding post and the fixed post. A threaded collar atop the fixed post is used to adjust the amount of play. Too loose and it is sloppy, too tight and the post binds, just right and there is a little play and the post slides freely. I am somewhat anal about loose parts on my bike, especially the seat and seatpost. I thought that I would notice the fore-aft play when riding but I never have. The GD rocks.
    "One often finds their destiny on the road taken to avoid it" - Master Ugway

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by windhoar
    If that is a question, the answer is yes on a GD. There is a small amount of fore-aft play between the sliding post and the fixed post. A threaded collar atop the fixed post is used to adjust the amount of play. Too loose and it is sloppy, too tight and the post binds, just right and there is a little play and the post slides freely. I am somewhat anal about loose parts on my bike, especially the seat and seatpost. I thought that I would notice the fore-aft play when riding but I never have. The GD rocks.
    Fixed it...Sounds more like a question now.

Yeah, I'm kinda anal that way to...I'm going to give one of them a try, not sure which one though.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Is dang happy!

Mini review.

Quote Originally Posted by YZINGERR
    I have about three rides on the Sette post and although it works OK the problems mentioned by other users, (excess suspension action, initial stiction, and small clunk or "bottom out" when sitting in the lowered position), puts it in a different league than my gravity dropper.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have a GD and a Maverick Speedball R and vote for the Mav design. I like the infinite adj, easy up and better lever. With the GD I had trouble hitting the 1" and don't like having to tap to come back up. My GD hasn't been trouble free in operation but the Mav isn't perfect either, it sticks when it gets too dirty.
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have the Turbo and I don't need to 'butt tap' to raise the seat up from either the 1 inch or 4 inch position. If that is your experience you should contact them and they will fix. Customer service is fabulous from GD.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've recently stuck a 4" drop GD turbo on my 5spot. I find that I've actually got less control with it when going down moderate drops. The thing is, I've always been using my thighs to grip the saddle when I'm rearward position. With the GD engaged, there's nothing there for me to hang on to at all. However on extremely steep drops, there is an advantage for it as I can get much further behind my saddle that I ever could on my thompson.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinier
    I've recently stuck a 4" drop GD turbo on my 5spot. I find that I've actually got less control with it when going down moderate drops. The thing is, I've always been using my thighs to grip the saddle when I'm rearward position. With the GD engaged, there's nothing there for me to hang on to at all. However on extremely steep drops, there is an advantage for it as I can get much further behind my saddle that I ever could on my thompson.
    That was the reason I skipped the 4 inch drop when and went for the 3 inch AMP. At 4 inches I felt like the saddle was nonexistent.

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    I have a 1"/4" AMP and it is sweeeet.

If yours is sticking or popping up slowly, just push the boot down and put a drop of chain lube in the "tracks", and it'll pop up like new. Either that or there's too much tension in the lever...back the adjuster out until there's a tiny bit of slack. The cable stretched a little bit on my first couple rides but I haven't touched it since.

Wayne at GD is a stand-up guy and builds a great product, and I don't think there's any reason to switch if you already have a GD...but I think the AMP is a better design. Plus it looks so clean...you can barely tell it's on there, unlike the box sticking out of a GD or the weird cable routing on a Turbo.

It's too bad they're so behind on orders and shipping...I know they've lost a couple sales due to not having any in stock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by El Caballo
    I have a 1"/4" AMP and it is sweeeet.

If yours is sticking or popping up slowly, just push the boot down and put a drop of chain lube in the "tracks", and it'll pop up like new. Either that or there's too much tension in the lever...back the adjuster out until there's a tiny bit of slack. The cable stretched a little bit on my first couple rides but I haven't touched it since.

Wayne at GD is a stand-up guy and builds a great product, and I don't think there's any reason to switch if you already have a GD...but I think the AMP is a better design. Plus it looks so clean...you can barely tell it's on there, unlike the box sticking out of a GD or the weird cable routing on a Turbo.

It's too bad they're so behind on orders and shipping...I know they've lost a couple sales due to not having any in stock.
    Other than it looking cleaner than the GD, what do you think is better about the AMP design?

mtbr member
    Ok, so a month later after I started this thread, I decided on getting the GD Turbo, 275mm, 3" drop with the 30.9mm spacer for my Blur XC. I have to say at first glance, where the cable attaches to the post, looks a little awkward. The piece in front of the post really sticks out. Not sure yet how this is gonna look. The boot seems to be a really good rubber and quality, fits well and not what I expected. I guess I expected a less quality, plastic like boot. I haven't weighed the post with cable to verify yet, but I will this Friday. I also got a alot lighter saddle and am hoping the weight factor is a wash but we'll see. I'll take some pictures of the new saddle and post once I get it set up Friday night and post so everyone can see exactly how this looks. Overall, the feel and quality is really good and there is no cheap feeling, feels like a very high quality part, just a little worried about the weight for now...
    If I'm not climbing, I'm not riding.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast