mtbr member
    Jul 2008

All mountain pedals: PD-M647 or PD-M770?

hello all, this is my first post - how exciting.

I need to replace my pedals. I have a Rocky Mountain ETSX 70, full XT, fox vanilla. I ride all mountain, I like technical stuff, but don't get too crazy (won't go more than maybe a 5ft drop). I'm debating between the above pedals, can you help me understand which is a better fit? Why pick one over the other?

Thanks,

Dave

Chillin the Most
    Both pedals are awesome, however the main difference between the 2 comes down to the 647 having a platform. If like some you find having a platform better, then I'd go 647. If you think you can live without it, go for the 770's. Both are solid pedals, just depends on your personal preference.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Lots of preference in this area. On these two pedals, the main difference is that the inner pedal assembly of both are basically the same...basically. The 647 just has a very tough resin cage that rotates a given number of degrees for easier entry. I use the 647 almost exclusively. I like them over "open" pedals because they are easier to acquire in technical terrain and offer somewhat of a platform when you disengage and reengage. If you dab in a technical spot, they are more substantial when you put your foot back on the pedal but haven't yet acquired the cleat to clip in. And when you try to reacquire the cleat as you pedal away, it is way easier to do so IMO. I tried riding again recently in some quality "open" pedals like the 770's when I bought an SJ FSR. On a trail where I almost never unclipped, they were fine, but when I rode our rougher trails where dabbing and sometimes dismounting to push occured, it was a bit of a pain to reacquire the pedal cleat. Now, this isn't the end of the world, but I find platform clipless models like the 647 and others to be extremely user-friendly. In rocky terrain, they also seem to be less prone to inner pedal damage or hanging up on rocks. The cage seems to give the pedal a better ability to slide or glance over such rocks and obstacles.

What they are not is a true "flat" pedal that is well suited to comparison to quality pinned flat pedals where non-clipless shoes are used. I've ridden my bike in "tame" conditions with non-clipless shoes, but these pedals are designed to use for real riding with clipless shoes. They will not replace flat pedals if that's where you're headed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    That was extremely helpful! thanks!

I gather the only setback for the 647 is weight, 200 grams or so. But for the type of riding I do, I don't mind.