Just roll it......

All Mountain Passion!

Since this forum is new, I thought I'd break it in with some pics from our "all mountain" ride yesterday. It was one of those days that makes you wonder why everyone doesn't live in the PNW and you forget the months of rain we had over the winter!

We met up with some friends on Galbraith Mt. for our usual loop and it was a spectacular day. When we got towards the top, my buddy (who also happens to be one of the main trailbuilders up there) was helping out with some trailwork on another builder's trail. So, we stopped to help split and carry cedar slats for the next Stump drop that will be built further up the trail - while others were moving rock and dirt to smooth out some of the jumps and build transitions. We probably helped for an hour or so and then headed to the top for a couple of rips down the same trail.

Galby is the type of place where you see XC hardtails mix seamlessly with 8" travel dh bikes. Since there's no shuttling, you've got to earn your descents whether that is pedaling to the top or pushing where necessary......hence why I define the area as "All Mountain". There are trails for everyone and while not as crazy as stuff in B.C., it's a great skill building spot for those looking for more technical trails. The trail builders have taken the workmanship to new levels over the past couple of years. The landowners (Trillium) and the local club (WHIMPS) deserve serious kudos as well. If there's a case study in managing risk on trails and still making them fun for most levels, this is a fine example.

Pics from our day.

Cheers,
    EBX

My gal climbing up the ridge trail. B'ham and Puget Sound in the background.

The doggies (Baker foreground and Shasta in the back) following her up the Ridge trail.

Shasta and Baker cooling off in a nasty bog!

Dan showing us youngsters how it's done on the skinny at the top of Evolution.

Dan Cleaning the end fo the skinny - taking the hard line to the left. I want to ride as well as Dan when I grow up!!

Me attempting the same skinny. I've yet to clean this one.....

Me dropping at the beginning of Shawn's trail:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice... Looks like fun. There's no way I could stay on those logs or more than say 3 feet, but the terrain looks awesome.

%$#$*!
    nice pics. galbraith is awesome. I was there a few weeks ago thanks to your help with a route. unfortunately, broke my finger at the end of the day, but I'll have to go back there when it heals. it is really a nice trail system.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just roll it......
    Slowride, you'd be suprised the stuff you can try up here. In most cases, the penalty is really low. There's a long winding skinny that Dan (in the pics) built that has a few turns on it and it never gets more than 3-4 feet high with several good places to jump off if necessary. It's a great skillbuilding area.

Beefmagic, nice pic....that skinny to drop is a bit of a mindf*ck on the approach for me. Glad to hear your ride went well (other than the broken finger) and my route was ok. With the work done on Galby this past year, it's elevated the place to a new level. So much fun!

FYI, there are still some sections on Cedar Dust, Dan's and the connector from 911 over to Cedar Dust that are still VERY muddy.

Cheers,
    EBX

a tight kick sound
    EB, as usual a GREAT post!
    Was out all weekend myself, although having too much fun to take any pics
    One of these days I want to get up there for a ride with you folks!

Booner

mtbr member
    what kind of bike is that ebx?

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by MRUFF
    what kind of bike is that ebx?
    It's a Transition Gran Mal with a Travis 180 on it - which I'm liking so far. The bike is definitely overkill for this specific area (although it climbs amazing with the DHX 5.0!!) and is primarily my Shore/Whistler/Big Huck bike, but my "AM" bike is in desparate need of a brake overhaul and I don't mind pedaling more weight up there...... Galby is the perfect 6" bike spot, but guys rideit on dirt jump bikes, XC bikes and full on DH rigs. That blending of folks makes it ultra cool to me.

Booner, Come on up! Galby's a blast and then there's always the Shore which is just over an hour north of B'ham. Did you end up getting a 66 for your Uzzi?

Cheers,
    EBX

A better pic of my big bike.

a tight kick sound
    Well yes!
    I got the 05 66rc. Was a little high for a single crown fork so I got an 888rc with low crowns.
    It is a great fork but pretty big!
    The uzzi was great! I road it for about two weeks. Think it was prolly the best bike I have ever had. In terms of both looks and performance.
    But even though I got a great deal for it, it is still an intense and that frame alone cost more than both of my other bikes (DH and AM/FR).
    So to keep it and put a 66rc2x on there would have just broke the bank.

So now I am riding my AM bike all over. I talked to cove and they said this thing would take quite a bit of abuse so I am just going for it on that bike I am starting to really like having a slightly lighter bike to hammer around on all kinds of stuff. It is really pushing me to do things proper rather than just let the bike handle the rough stuff. The uzzi was like riding a couch sometimes SOoooooooo nice. Problem is, I want to get to be a better rider and if I never have to pick the right line or learn to turn proper then I will never get better. This could have some pretty bad consequences when I am racing

Alas, the uzzi is now preparing for a trip to HAwaii to it's new owner and I am going to pay a couple bills
    And maybe put a little away for racing and upgrades if I brake stuff.

My GF's parents live on Bainbridge Island so we will be coming up soon and I will give you a shout and we can have a ride!! I have been meaning to go visit those dudes at Transition for a while now also. Great folks.

Great bike ebx. Keep pushing that thing man!

Later

mtbr member
    Cool looking bike.
    Is it pretty heavy? Not that it matters. Just curious.

I have a nomad and ride it at Galbraith, it works good there!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just roll it......
    Cool looking bike.
    Is it pretty heavy? Not that it matters. Just curious.

I have a nomad and ride it at Galbraith, it works good there!
    MRUFF,

Cool bike. Bikes like the Nomad, 6.6, 6 Pack, SX Trail, Coiler, etc. were really made for Galby...... Light enough to do a bunch of loops around the mountain, but burly enough to do anything up there.

My Gran Mal is a reasonable 43 lbs. with a fairly burly build. I didn't go light on anything so I could easily lighten it up, but it's built for a purpose so it'll remain where it is. I have to get my other bikes rolling so I don't keep lugging it uphill on every ride.

Cheers,
    EBX

El Malo
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    MRUFF,

Cool bike. Bikes like the Nomad, 6.6, 6 Pack, SX Trail, Coiler, etc. were really made for Galby...... Light enough to do a bunch of loops around the mountain, but burly enough to do anything up there.

EBX
    Oh jeez, how quickly do we forget about the best 5" bike for Galby as far as comfort, performance and durability... the Heckler

I wish I had gone up to meet with you and Dan... I just stayed at home staring at my new frame and doing chores
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "

mtbr member
    what kind of frame is replacing the heckler?
    hecklers are good bikes.

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    hecklers are good bikes.
    I think Hecklers will be around for some time

Just roll it......
    hecklers are good bikes.
    Armando's not replacing his Heckler. That bike can do it all.

He just got a replacement frame from Ellsworth for his Dare (that cracked at Whistler last year). Yes, it's true EW didn't screw him on a frame replacement like so many have had happen in the past. In fact, he got a pretty respectable hook up.....not that it changes my opinion on Tony E. or anything.

EBX