Page 170 of 212 FirstFirst ... 70 120 160 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 180 ... LastLast
Results 4,226 to 4,250 of 5298
    mtbr member
    How's that ride? bottom bracket end up too low?

The White Jeff W
    Not bad with the 140mm fork. 12" even unsagged. Bike handles better but you lose some of the rollover of the 29" wheels.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

AM TransAM

TransAM V1 Medium, Ox Blood Red custom paint
    Sektor RL Soloair 150mm
    Arch EX rear, Flow EX front on Hope Pro 2s
    Geax Gato 2.3 rear, Nevegal 2.35 front, tubeless
    MRP 1x, Raceface single ring 32t, XT cranks
    X0 rd/shifter
    Truvativ AKA 80mm/Answer Protaper 720 AM Expert bars
    Juicy Ultimate 180f/160r
    Thompson post/Charge Spoon saddle
    Yellow elastic cord ties for rear brake line because I am too lazy to go get zip ties. They have lasted for 5+ months.The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-img_20130428_120637.jpg
    The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-img_20130428_120650.jpg
    The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-img_20130428_111932.jpg

g3h6o3
    Another Chromag Rootdown build, in red this time!

The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-p1020110.jpg

Specs :
    Frame: Chromag Rootdown M/L Red
    Fork: Fox 34 140mm FIT RLC
    Wheels: Light-bicycle wide carbon rims on Chris King hubs
    XT drivetrain
    Handlebar: Easton Monkeylite SL (might change depending on final stem choice)
    Thomson seat clamp

Seatpost and stem are still temporary but will probably be Thomson unless I need a stem length/angle that they do not produce.
    Last edited by PissedOffCil; 04-30-2013 at 07:25 AM.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Not bad with the 140mm fork. 12" even unsagged. Bike handles better but you lose some of the rollover of the 29" wheels.
    JeffW-13,

Can you tell us more about the differences in handling that you have noticed? One thing I have noticed about my FS29er is that the cornering traction seems piss poor compared to my Pugs rolling Nates (duh), and my 26" EWR running...****, anything. This came as a surprise to me. My YS handled well enough. It is not the tires on the FS29er. I think it is my technique (or lack thereof) and the height of center of gravity when cornering that prevents my tires from digging the way they should. I think I need to exaggerate my body english and place my weight over my tire contact patch when carving in order to overcome the height of the bike. In any case, I am bringing this up because I want to know what sort of difference you have noticed in high speed cornering traction in the move from 29" to 27.5" wheels on the same frame. Is there a difference in your ass-to-saddle experience?
    Responds to gravity

more beers, less gears
    Mar 2010
    last year, i put a stiffer spring in the fork. it clonked around in the stanchion, so i put a tube over it. it stopped clonking but after a while the u-turn seized and the fork only used half of its travel. two days ago i did a little service, removed the stupid tube, put some new oil in and boom, what a change. butter is nothing compared to the smoothness of that pike.

undercover brother
    Threw a lyrik on there and it has never ridden better. I was afraid that 160 up front would be too much, but climbing is fine and the descents are silky smooooooooooth. Just feels right.

The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-imag0721.jpg
    The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-imag0726.jpg

Apologize for the indoor cell phone pics. I will get some better pics out on the trail soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well that bike just looks like plain old fun. Lyriks are fantastic forks...that bike is a ripper.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Calling owners of Cotic & Chromag! whats the chromag equivent of the Cotic BFe? Erm can I know the prices of the frame you guys bought for?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HCR32GTSTYPEM View Post
    Calling owners of Cotic & Chromag! whats the chromag equivent of the Cotic BFe? Erm can I know the prices of the frame you guys bought for?
    the samurai for a canadian made frame or the stylus for a taiwan alternative. samurais aren't cheap. i have a trl which is a heavyweight version of the samurai and new, it's over a grand although i got mine used for a decent price

g3h6o3
    Bought my Rootdown for 800 shipped. Canadian built frames should be around 1500 shipped.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What about the Chromag Aperture hmm isn't that listed as AM? Hmm no wonders some people say heart says Chromag, head says Cotic BFe hahas. Its pretty steep compared to the features on the BFe you get 853 reynolds and replacable rear deraileur hanger over Chromag frames. Actually does the replacable hanger matters?

mtbr member
    Actually does the replacable hanger matters?
    not if it's steel.

g3h6o3
    One thing to keep in mind with Cotic is that their numbers are sagged. What I don't like about Cotic is their super slack seat angles... The Aperture would probably end up costing roughly the same as the BFe but talk about it with Ian he's all about making sure the customer is happy, he cut taxes for me and shipped free. I also seem to have a lifetime of free shipping for future purchases.

What about the Chromag Aperture hmm isn't that listed as AM? Hmm no wonders some people say heart says Chromag, head says Cotic BFe hahas. Its pretty steep compared to the features on the BFe you get 853 reynolds and replacable rear deraileur hanger over Chromag frames. Actually does the replacable hanger matters?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    One thing to keep in mind with Cotic is that their numbers are sagged. What I don't like about Cotic is their super slack seat angles... The Aperture would probably end up costing roughly the same as the BFe but talk about it with Ian he's all about making sure the customer is happy, he cut taxes for me and shipped free. I also seem to have a lifetime of free shipping for future purchases.
    hmm, the Chromag guys dun seem to be replying my email lol, but Cotic does use a better grade steel than Chromag right? 853 Reynolds? Heard this is skycraper grade steel. What travel can the Aperture handle though? Thanks for the reply btw

mtbr member
    hmm, the Chromag guys dun seem to be replying my email lol, but Cotic does use a better grade steel than Chromag right? 853 Reynolds? Heard this is skycraper grade steel. What travel can the Aperture handle though? Thanks for the reply btw
    chroamg uses true temper 4130 chromoly for their canadian made frames. they also use their own yokes and dropouts. technically 853 is superior but i doubt you could ever tell over a well built frame using quality 4130 chromo. some companies use 853 for their main triangle or even just for their downtube so they can put an 853 sticker on the frame and use no name chromo for the rest.

i don't think you could go wrong with either brand between cotic and chromag or a lot of other quality builders. buy the one with the geometry you like

g3h6o3
    Yeah I agree it's more about the build quality and geometry than grade of steel.

I'm very satisfied of my Rootdown after 3 rides. I had a chance to ride most of my local network and have ridden lines I had never tackled on a hardtail before (the Rootdown replaced an XC 26er). The Rootdown is just plain confidence inspiring, maybe so much that I fell off a skinny I never failed before. I was going way too fast and was tired and I simply rode slowly off the edge........ Yeah well apart from that I'm very happy up to now!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    actually I plan to use the bike for a long while so I tend to want the higher grade steel and also due to my weather here, its muddy all year round and humidity of over 90%, rains like mad as well, I even asked some folks themselves said, steel is steel it would rust to a certain extend even when treated. I feel the Cotic is much lighter on my wallet too hahas. Hmm choicesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. But I really do dig the Samurai . The only thing that is stopping me from buying the Cotic is colour choices lol, their old blue and orange on Cotic soul is so . But on the BFe they only have green, not really a nice colour to match parts hahas. But you guys are right about geometry.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Agreed, you can't go wrong with Cotic or Chromag. Couldn't be happier with my Kamui, but was looking pretty hard at the BFe at the time! The geometry fits me so well that it feels lighter than it is when riding, and the frame feels as responsive and smooth as my 853 singlespeed.

Regarding rust, I really wouldn't be worried either way - throw some framesaver or equivalent inside the frame (I use Fluid Film, which is a lanolin based spray), lots of grease on the entry points (BB shell, headtube, seatpost), and basically forget about it. My oldest steel frame is 15 years old, and has been ridden hard in all conditions for most of that time, including a stint as my commuter.

mtbr member
    actually I plan to use the bike for a long while so I tend to want the higher grade steel and also due to my weather here, its muddy all year round and humidity of over 90%, rains like mad as well, I even asked some folks themselves said, steel is steel it would rust to a certain extend even when treated. I feel the Cotic is much lighter on my wallet too hahas. Hmm choicesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. But I really do dig the Samurai . The only thing that is stopping me from buying the Cotic is colour choices lol, their old blue and orange on Cotic soul is so . But on the BFe they only have green, not really a nice colour to match parts hahas. But you guys are right about geometry.

if it's that much lighter on the wallet and the geometry suits you just get the cotic and strip it and powder coat in the colour of your choice. as far as rust, quality steel will hold up great if you treat it properly. like another poster said, frame saver and and grease on the threads and headtube. i use a mix of belray grease and copper antiseize on the bb and headtube.

mtbr member
    May 2013

The Carla

Here's my trusty steed, built up from an old Trek 7000 aluminum frame, has the steep head angle so rides like a dirt jumper, integrated derailleur hanger, and rim brakes in back since the old frame doesn't have the mounts. The big Fox fork and tire up front make this thing unstoppable and the x-9 drive train has never done me wrong!
    The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-carla.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Green looks good. The bike is a ripper you won't be sorry.

Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
    Green looks good. The bike is a ripper you won't be sorry.

nice ride, yea the colour is good its just hard to get colour combinations on the parts hahas, btw realised you are using Brooks saddle and grips, do you ride with them even in muddy trails? If so how do you clean off the mud?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    nice ride, yea the colour is good its just hard to get colour combinations on the parts hahas, btw realised you are using Brooks saddle and grips, do you ride with them even in muddy trails? If so how do you clean off the mud?
    I'm not running anything brooks, nice saddles BTW.

Selle italia lady saddle
    RaceFace diabolus grips
    Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
    I'm not running anything brooks, nice saddles BTW.

Selle italia lady saddle
    RaceFace diabolus grips
    are they leather or just brown? Price?
    Are you a girl or a guy using a lady's saddle hahas.