Page 162 of 209 FirstFirst ... 62 112 152 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 172 ... LastLast
Results 4,026 to 4,050 of 5207
    bah!
    Nice bike! How do you like it? I was debating between this and the surge but ultimately went with the surge for the adjustable dropouts and replaceable derailleur hanger.

Quote Originally Posted by LowLow View Post
    Here's mine!

- NS Surge Custom Build in process

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by phrac View Post
    Nice bike! How do you like it? I was debating between this and the surge but ultimately went with the surge for the adjustable dropouts and replaceable derailleur hanger.
    Thanks! I've only been on a few rides with it, but I like it a lot so far. I think I'll eventually drop the fork from 160mm to 150mm to make it a bit more snappy, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to stick to running a 1x9 set up long-term. But I haven't ridden a hard tail in years, and I'm surprised at how much fun it is. I think the steel frame combined with the fatter tires and tubeless set up take the edge off just the right amount.

Congrats on your bike! The Surge looks sweet!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    New On One Inbred build. The frame is rough, I just built it to test ride after some weld work and before powdercoat. 27.5lbs as she sits. Build thread here: Second chance for an old frame: Custom Inbred build (Photo heavy)

You did an incredible job on that!! LOVE the color too..what a sweet ride, enjoy it man.
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-537809_10151417643953630_1396485297_n.jpg

mtbr member
    2011 Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-6891.jpg  

1990 Schwinn Sierra MOS
    2011 Santa Cruz Chameleon
    2012 Cannondale Claymore 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Bit of Curtis action from the UK,

Quite sure i haven't seen any Curtis bikes in this thread, handmade in steel in the UK, they did a job lot for CRC a while back, all off the peg sizing, but all others have a degree of rider input into the geo angles and sizing. The rider input bikes also have unique serial numbers, mostly initials of the rider/owner.

This one was made for DH ripping and was a prototype model, the finished bike (i never saw that, it had some angle tweeks and the headtube was altered for the fork crown clearance) this bike was mostly seen scaring the crap out of 8" DH bikes as it overtook them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-001_1.jpg  

The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-003_1.jpg  

The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-004_1.jpg  

The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-005_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Bit more Curtis.

The white one was Andy Paynes, and i belive that frame is still with Curtis as it was a working test prototype, going by the 08AP serial number that must be from 2008 (when the frame became a frame) although the photo may be 2009 at the UK Bike park.

Next we have the Yellow Curtis, again made to rider requirements and a variation on Andys frame, this was made for Ash Brown who was/is riding for Curtis and is around 2010. This had a bit more attention to detail being a team riders bike.

Was going to drop a link in but seems the website is down, however the rumour is they are doing the bespoke bristol bike show (Brit version of NAHMBs) and showing a AM 29er.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-018_1.jpg  

The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-017_1.jpg  

The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-020_1.jpg  

The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-016_1.jpg  

The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-021_1.jpg  

Special Purpose
    Oct 2009
    Are any of you racing your AM Hardtails? Since building my 456 Evo, I find that I'm just not riding my FS bike at all. I just like the hardtail better. The FS is likely faster and "better" overall, but something about the hardtail just suits me. Maybe it's my BMX background. I'm looking at getting rid of the FS altogether. My only reluctance comes from the fact thatim planning on racing some enduros this year.

Anybody running enduros on a hardtail?

Oh, and..

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I mostly do DH on mine, some of us will race anything anywhere.

Hardtails still mostly tied in with XC racing, but a handfull of riders do the Gravity Enduro races over here on hardtail(xc route with timed DH special stages), the 12-24 hour xc enduros have a high HT turnout, and depending on conditions (amount of mud) then the rigid SS tailers do allright.

The whole hardtail thing is kind of looked down on over here and licenced racing for BC/UCI points puts you in age groups, so in a DH race you will be riding with the big hit bikes. Some events do a side line (no points because no official class) Hardtail class which can be rowdy at times no age or gender splits just be on a HT and your in HT or you can join your age related class if you wish.

The ultimate event to go Hardtail in over here is the 6 hour Downhill enduro that's held at Fort William on the WC track, if you can survive that your doing allright. It's of course faster and maybe a bit nicer on a susser, but no where near as much fun. So far highest placed HT in that event is 4th overall, to contend for the HT podium you must be knocking out at least 10 back to back runs in 6 hours, to contend for the HT win do 12 runs.

Down to rider in the end and what you have to race on, if hardtails all you got, tweek the set up to match the event and go race.

On-one's are popular over here because they are cheap, well made, take a beating and with a good fork (like yours 309) and sensible part choice can go from xc to dh with a change of wheels and rubber.

5kogsmulle
    Jan 2012

Ragley Piglet

The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-img_4233.jpg

2011 piglet frame
    Sektor RL 2012 - crank Brothers headset
    Zee cranks with XT BB
    Plasma device Superstar
    Superstar tech nano flats pedals
    Avid Elixir R rear 160mm & 5 front 185mm
    Stans Flow wheelset Evolution hubs
    Bontrager rubber
    truativ 50mm stem
    Octane 770mm Chem handlebar
    Shimano 10 sp cassette
    Sram X7 rear
    X5 shifter
    Specialized seatpost
    Team exclusive saddle (dont remember brand)

flying fatass
    Been a while since I've posted here. I've been riding a Jamis Dakar XLT for the longest time. About a month ago the swing arm snapped for the 2nd time. I finally got fed up with having something so fragile so I bought a used Banshee Scirocco frame and transferred my components over. I'm still waiting for a new derailleur hanger to come in as the current one was bent.

I've never owned a hardtail frame before, so it'll be a new experience. Anyway, here's a picture as it sits now.

The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-banshee_zpsb7f65f13.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaverTail
    Should your balls sit in front of the saddle or on the saddle? Im a bit confused.

mtbr member
    May 2010

The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.

Wow I really really like that banshee Scirocco

mtbr member
    nice to see another Ragley
    If I were faster, I would win

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    well,im new to all this and i need to create a new thread to ask my question lol but i have a gt aggressor xc3,stock,no brakes(major issue)

mtbr member
    Awesome bikes in here!

Only rides hardtails.
    Quote Originally Posted by 309 View Post
    Are any of you racing your AM Hardtails? Since building my 456 Evo, I find that I'm just not riding my FS bike at all. I just like the hardtail better. The FS is likely faster and "better" overall, but something about the hardtail just suits me. Maybe it's my BMX background. I'm looking at getting rid of the FS altogether. My only reluctance comes from the fact thatim planning on racing some enduros this year.

Anybody running enduros on a hardtail?

Oh, and..

I have done some racing on mine. I have not been very successfull in terms of elapsed time. I did the Paris Mtn Enduro last year and had no less than 3 flats in the timed sections. I don't want to go tubeless but I am thinking that for enduro type racing this may be necessary. Also, my rig weighs 33lbs with the dropper post and a 32t front ring. Bad combo, I think. Next year I will try a DH tube and a 36t ring for some more oomph.
    I have also done some time trial races (less than a 25 minute lap XC trail) and that has been fine. The bike is too heavy for explosive sprints but I still come in the top 3rd of participants.
    Racing these bikes is not the point. I feel like these AM/FR HT's are skill bikes. All out speed is not easy to come by IMO. The 29er versions of us MAY change that. We'll see...
    Seek first to understand, then to be understood. Maxwell

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    2009 Norco Katmandu
    -Truvativ Blaze Cranks(stock)
    -100mm sr suntour forks(stock)
    -Sram x-4 rear deraileur
    -Sun Ringle Singletrack rims(front and rear)
    -stock norco seat
    -stock norco grips
    -gusset pedals
    -El Norte Titec Stem
    -Avid juicy 3's(front and rear)
    -Michelin Tires(Kendas are in the pic, those are the old tires)
    This frame can always handle what I ride, it works fairly well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-p4pb8271703.jpg  

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    Great bikes all around. Sub'd

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Still rummaging around for photos, all spread out over memory sticks and a couple of computers.
    Be some more Atomlab action to come, seem to have lost the clean Superfly photos.... be hiding somewhere.

Anyway, after starting out racing on a Spesh P2 i moved to steel in 2008 (never looked back steel for me) at the time i sort of bought a Cotic Bfe, but the shipment came in late, and Cy had a whole batch cosmetic QC issue so wouldn't release any frames, i couldn't wait and had a refund. So i owned but never had a Cotic for a brief period but have not been able to revist the Bfe again, the moment has passed, maybe.
    So i found a secondhand Charge Blender frame, and built it up just in time for the first DH enduro on the Fort William world cup track back in 2008 sanko steel DB tubes, really slack angles, mine was a first gen model...going from memory (may be wrong) head angle was around 65.5o and seat angle was around 64.5o later frames had the angles altered +.5o or +1o the steel had slightly slacker angles than the Ti frames the change i think in angles made both framesets the same. Rear tyre clearance was tight, could just squeeze a Maxxis 2.5 or anyother brands 2.35 which was fine when dry and dusty and you didn't whack the rim out of true. When it was wet 2.1 or 2.2 spikes unless you fancied the bike just grinding to a halt with a mud plugged rear end.

Absolute chore to ride uphill, turned out to be a touch nervous on high speed flatish downhills, really needed a Pike fork up front with U-turn to make it more bearable for AM riding.......but.....point it down a steep techy twisty track, steeper the better and it came alive, get air and it landed like a cat. Didn't enjoy it at Fort William, i would love to to try one down Champery, in the end after a year i moved on to Superfly as the Blender was too much hard work for me and it was sold on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-001.jpg  

Braugh Bro.
    Looks like I'm back in the AM hardtail game.

Frame: 2013 Transition TransAm medium frame
    Fork: 2011 Marzocchi 55RV 160mm tapered
    Headset: Cane Creek 40 lower, 10 upper.
    Crankset: Raceface Turbine Bash-36-24
    Chainguide: E13drs I think?
    Pedals: Forte Convert
    Brakes: Shimano SLX m675 203mm Icetech rotors
    Wheelset: Stans Flow Rims - SLX centerlock hubs - Red spoke nipples - double butted wheelsmith spokes
    tires: WTB dissent 2.3 TCS (tubeless)
    Stem: Black Market something or other
    Bars: Renthal Fatbar 25mm height, cut to 750mm
    Grips: ODI rogue
    Cassette: Sram pc970 11-34
    Chain: Sram pc991 hollowpin
    Derailleurs and shifters: Sram X7
    Seatpost: Gravity Dropper classic 3 position seatpost
    Saddle: Koobi AU enduro saddle

Haven't weighed it yet, but it's no lightweight. But since the only other bike I own is a 40lb freeride rig, 33-34lbs feels light enough for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    After 2 months of collecting parts, it's done finally

The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.-dscf0009_zpsf5539788.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tkh89 View Post
    After 2 months of collecting parts, it's done finally
    I love it!!! im about to build on up basically the same.... whats your parts list?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    There you go...

Frame: 2013 Santa Cruz Chameleon (Medium)
    Fork: 2012 Fox Van 160mm tapered
    Headset: Chris King InSet
    Stem: Thomson Elite X4 50mm
    Bars: Funn Fat Boy
    Grips: ODI Cross Trainer
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite
    Saddle: Selle Italia C2
    Wheelset: Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs + ZTR Flow rims
    Tires: Maxxis High Roller 2.35
    Pedals: Unknown brand from my brother

The rest are all 2013 Shimano SLX groupset

FireEye Shortfuse 380