Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

All mountain Hardtail, Which frame to consider?

Hi guys!

My Ragley Blue pig '10 is starting to get som wear.. The paint is cracking severly around the brake mounts. So i consider to find something else before it breaks. Im super happy with the Ragley. Super fast downhill and really fun up the hills aswell.
    Im thinking something ligher if possible. A sub 2kg alloy frame?
    Is alloy more harsh compared to steel? ( only had alloy FS bikes before )
    What is out there? Im considering a Ragley Marley or a new Blue pig, other than that, i don't know of any similar bikes.

Cheers

g3h6o3
    Paint cracks are not an indicator that the frame will die...
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    The carbon On-One 456 is exactly what your describing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Wow! I got really exited now! From what i can see the Geo is pretty similar to my current bike? Could anyone verify this for me?

The cracked paint means there is alot of stress.. So i do not ride my bike like i want anymore because of these "cracks" A new frame for 399 would be okay so i dont have to worrie anymore.

mtbr member
    The On-One 456 was designed by the same dude (Brant Richards) that designed the Blue Pig and Piglet, thus they are pretty similar. Other than that, there are a ton of other good choices. Browse through the AMHT sticky thread. FWIW, my guess is you'd get a LOT of good years out of that Blue Pig still.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I will have to consider it. A lighter and stiffer build would be nice.
    Can really feel the steel flex when pedaling. Altough, its no problem and my guess is that the blue pig rear triangle flexes alot aswell making the super smooth ride it is. And im sure i will appreciate the better pedaling, but maybe i will miss the blue pigs rear triangle flexing? Who knows.
    399 is really cheap in my eyes... I could buy one just for the sake of funs and carbon love.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorp View Post
    Wow! I got really exited now! From what i can see the Geo is pretty similar to my current bike? Could anyone verify this for me?

The cracked paint means there is alot of stress.. So i do not ride my bike like i want anymore because of these "cracks" A new frame for 399 would be okay so i dont have to worrie anymore.
    Not necessarily... it could just be crappy paint. I have a steel frame that's about 17 years old. The paint cracked in several places within one year of buying it, and it's still going strong.

mtbr member

All mountain Hardtail, Which frame to consider?

Steel is a popular HT material because it can have a lot of deflection and be well within the designed stress allowables. Paint however is not very flexible and is thus susceptible to cracking as the steel deflects. I would ride it hard without worry.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    The carbon On-One 456 is exactly what your describing.
    Exactamundo. I was totally sold on a Ragley, but then the 456C appeared and that was it. Such a great frame...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Its not a light frame but when I get some disposable cash I am going with the Chromag Stylus

mtbr member
    FWIW im in the market for an AM hardtail.

I settled on the NS surge. Its a little heavier but i was looking for something that leaned to the freeride side. So not what your looking for.... who knows thoe i wanted it cause the HA is stupid slack and the chaiin stays are adjustable

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    Its not a light frame but when I get some disposable cash I am going with the Chromag Stylus
    I looked at chromag but couldent help thinking the high price was 60% quality 40% paying for the name

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Chromag might be, but the 456C is still the fav.
    The NS is nice. Altough, i like to ride up, ontop and down. I dont want to walk up the mountain.

Might order a 456C. I have 10days until i get my money. Will think of it until then

mtbr member
    The carbon 456 has your name all over it. That bike is exactly what you asked for. What are you gonna do with the blue pig? Where do you live?

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    I looked at chromag but couldent help thinking the high price was 60% quality 40% paying for the name
    ^^This from the guy who JB welded his frame!

Just joshin' you, Fuglio...I'm looking forward to your next RR. More power to you for giving it a go! The haters gonna hate...

I am the proud 2nd owner of a Chromag Samurai and it is one of the best bikes I've ever owned. It's had the AM beatdown -- steeps, gnar, jumps, drops, etc. -- and just keeps coming back for more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    ^^This from the guy who JB welded his frame!

Just joshin' you, Fuglio...I'm looking forward to your next RR. More power to you for giving it a go! The haters gonna hate...

I am the proud 2nd owner of a Chromag Samurai and it is one of the best bikes I've ever owned. It's had the AM beatdown -- steeps, gnar, jumps, drops, etc. -- and just keeps coming back for more.
    A chromag would be my first choice if they were all the same price... actually an evil soverin then chrmoag then NS bikes followed by on one and ragley tied for last place

mtbr member
    The 456C is a good choice. I've thought about buying one to shed a few more lbs from my rig, but I just don't think it's worth it and I've been happy with my Pig. Mine is at the point where I can't really get it lighter without sacrificing durability or features I want (dropper post, chain guide) unless I get a lighter frame. I never weighed the Pig frame but I'm guessing it's around 6 lbs so the 456C should be good for a 2-2.5lb drop, but then I'd need a new dropper post, headset, etc and it's not worth it for me.

A.D.D. unleashed
    May 2007

Re: All mountain Hardtail, Which frame to consider?

I went from a 456 summer season to a 456c amd hated it , the small amount of flex of the steel frame makes a huge difference

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Rockingthecas: thats exactly what im afraid i will do. Im quite happy with the pig. I can really push it, and i have no problems following most of FS bikes.
    Altough, a harsher frame, will that make my fingers cramp more easily?

I usually ride under 5 hours trips. Normally 3hours. I have no problems with cramping fingers on my current pig, so i think i can endure small cramps in my fingers the 456c might give me?
    If im still as exited about the 456c after 10 days i will order one. Some RubberQueen or Hans Dampf tyres, higher rise handlebars, a 70mm stem and a selle italia 180g seat.
    Then its just good luck and hope i like it.

I can actually offer some speed downhill to gain some speed uphill.

mtbr member
    the new version is coming out soon.
    not sure what the changes will be, might not be worth the wait.

456 evo

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Does anybody now how soon? The new frame looks alot better!

mtbr member

Paradox

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Can check out Shan by Production-privee and also Cotic BFe

mtbr member
    "456 EVO-II is coming in 6 weeks"

That is what i was told 3 weeks ago by on one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ouh, i might order one if the price is reasonable. Looks stunning compared to the old

Shan looks real nice. Looks abit more slack than i want though?
    Banshee just looks too low and oldschool.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast