Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

all-mountain hardtail

Hey I was needing some input. I'm going to have an AM hardtail built for trails and some urban riding. I don't want a dj bike though because I'm going to to have a rack on it and double it as my patrol bike for my work. My main problem is finding some good specs for a frame. I'm not sure if I want to run 140 or 160 forks. Can anyone help with a clear decison on this? Or point me in the right direction

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm a fan of the Commencal Ramones. Might be a little slacker than what you were looking for, head angle is 66*, but It looks like a burly bike. I think, that they're spec'd with a 160mm fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I looked at chumba hx1 and brodie hole shot for 140mm forks. I haven't seen any 160mm though.

Jenson USA
    Jun 2011
    Ragley Blue Pig.

Steel AM Hardtail of choice... Bomber on descents, sit and spin for climbs. If you wanna go cheaper you could always track down an On-One Summer Season... but the guy who designed all these bikes is the same guy and he says the Blue Pig is the way to go. Best of all worlds.

Being a fan of hardtails, I would never go aluminum. It's just not worth it. But I haven't tried carbon. Steel is by far the best material for hardtails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've got a Transition Trans AM that I love. Steel is definitely the way to go with an AM HT. I run mine with a 150mm fork and it bombs down the same rocky runs I hit with my full sus. They're nice, sturdy, and low maintenance. Kinda like the perfect woman would be .

mtbr member
    id check out Transition Trans AM, Ragley Blue Pig, On One 456 and Evil Sovereign.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I honestly prefer the Jamis Komodo b/c it has a longer ETT compared to the others. You can run a shorter stem. (which I love) It has a rifled top tube so you can slam it lower than the Ragley / TransAm / OnOne. More junk clearance. (and it looks nicer)

I've been abusing mine for 4-5yrs now and it keeps coming back for more.

Just my opinion.
    I get my boards at Lux-RC.com

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by McCracka View Post
    I looked at chumba hx1 and brodie hole shot for 140mm forks. I haven't seen any 160mm though.
    Make sure you do some reading on the Chumba forum before choosing the HX1

http://forums.mtbr.com/chumba-racing...e227d19abc80a5
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Would getting a titanium version of one of these frames be worth it? I looked at carver bikes recreating one of these. Im leaning towards the TransAm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Would getting a titanium version of one of these frames be worth it? I looked at carver bikes recreating one of these. Im leaning towards the TransAm.

mtbr member
    Cove Stiffee.

mtbr member
    maybe. but get a 30.9mm post and a 44mm headtube for sure. leaves running a dropper seatpost and angleset as a future upgrade if you want a slacker bike. the new trans am has those options. it's hard to justify ti prices when things constantly evolve. the new trans am hits the mark at a decent price. paying large cash for a ti frame means you need to hold onto it for a while to make the investment worth it. i personally like to change things up every year or two. so for me ti isn't worth the extra cost. a good steel frame rides as well as a ti frame at a much lower price. if i was planning on keeping it for 5 or more years then i light look at ti but i've yet to keep any frame that long.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I love the TransAM, but being on tight budget I went with the on-one 456. After reading everything I could find on the web, think I made the right decision.

About Ti: If you plan to have this bike forever, and maybe inherit it to your kids, go ahead.

Master of None
    I've been very pleased with my Ti 456.

On-One Ti 456 Frame 799.99

It even has a rack mounts! If you're a tall guy, I'd recommend a 160mm fork. My seat is pretty high (35" inseam) and this tends to even things up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I looked for an On-One but cant find any in stock. what is the wait time looking at for an On-One?

Blue Pig
    On-One and Titus USA Store — Welcome

Go get a 456 non Ti. I might be getting the Summer Season.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I think ill be getting the TransAm and run a 160mm fork. looks like the fit for me

mtbr member
    don't know how easy they would be to get but have you checked out Stanton Bikes' Slackline from the UK? I think it runs in the Tr. price range. He uses 853 tubes and has a ti frame in the works too.
    i'm on my Last Herb

mtbr member
    I think ill be getting the TransAm and run a 160mm fork. looks like the fit for me
    That's what I'm riding at the moment. And while it's an awesome bike, I should have started with a 29er AMHT platform.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    that is sick, im going to build up similar to that. Are you still able to climb on that well?

mtbr member
    that is sick, im going to build up similar to that. Are you still able to climb on that well?
    Decent climber with a 70mm stem. Long gone is that 50mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    banshee morphine

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That TA is BadA$$!!! Rockin a 456 with 120mm Zoc right now but would definitley benefit from the 20 extra mm.

mtbr member
    I'm a fan of the Santa Cruz Chameleon but other excellent alternates are those above.. Ragley Blue Pig, TransAM, etc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drblauston View Post
    I'm a fan of the Santa Cruz Chameleon but other excellent alternates are those above.. Ragley Blue Pig, TransAM, etc
    But I would say the generation right before the EBB, IIRC it had a slightly better geometry too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast