Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    Hmmm, geo is roughly the same as the Honzo that you continually rave about for AM performance despite its extreme portliness. Stems are replaceable.
    Frame's weight on par with everything else in the segment that's in steel. Its portliness comes from the heavy stock build. Geo's similar, but not quite. Steeper SA on the Honzo, and CS lengths about .5 inch shorter as well. Plus it was designed all around short stems (40-60mm), the Jamis comes stock with 70mm on the 13" to a 110mm stem on the 21". Definitely All-Mountain ready.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Duly noted, BUT I never cross shopped with the Nimble9. While the geometry may be there, it lacks other important AM features I was looking for, most importantly a 44mm headtube and dropper post friendly sized seat tube, its 27.2mm size is limited to what, only one dropper post?

... If I was really nit picking, maybe more rear chainstay clearance for something fatter than a 2.25 Ardent, although people are running them with 2.4 or even Hans Dampf, but limited clearance. But that's the price you pay for having the shortest CS of any production All-Mountain hardtail frame...
    Same reasons I went Honzo over N9, but...
    -27.2 droppers are avilable from both GD & KS
    -I'm running Dissent 2.5" front & rear, with CS length at 16.3" right now. (I like it shorter in my rear end) It fits, but if there is the slightest amount of wobble, some rubbage will occur.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    26 has always been just right.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I would consider 650 or 29 but there are poor tire choices at this point at >2.35mm width
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Kona is gonna have the 650B Explosif which is supposed to be similar to the Honzo. Should be available early 2013.

Have yet to be able to get any solid geometry #'s out of Kona yet but I keep trying.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    ^ All-Mountain that is not. The stem's longer than the fork's travel.
    That's still more than enough for most of the stuff "all mountain" hardtails ride. Neat looking bike too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm drinking the Kool Aid and probably getting a 29er all mountain hardtail. Depending on availability it will be a TransAM, Nimble 9, Yel-Screamy or Paradox. Gotta make a decision soon.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    I'm drinking the Kool Aid and probably getting a 29er all mountain hardtail. Depending on availability it will be a TransAM, Nimble 9, Yel-Screamy or Paradox. Gotta make a decision soon.
    Honzo! I don't plan on building a 29er anytime in my distant future, but thats really the only 29er that has ever appealed to me. All the other frames look as though they were modified to fit the larger hoops. The Honzo just looks killer IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Making the transition to 29er HT next summer.

Just bought the frame, wheels, fork. Banshee Paradox, SR Charger Pro wheelset, Manitou Tower Pro 120mm fork.

I'll ride my 26er full suspension for 1 more season, it's still quite decent. I'll beat it up some more until I'm done building up the Paradox.

Other 29ers considered: Canfield Yelli, Chromag Rootdown, Diamondback Mason in hardtail. Thought about trying a Niner RIP,SC tallboy, or Salsa Horsethief. But went with the hard tail to try something different for a while.

mtbr member
    I'm torn on if I should get a 29er or a 26er HT. I love the pop and handling of the 26" but the 29er is so much smoother overall its hard to overlook. I already got a big squishy 26" bike so the 29er would fit in nicely. I think I just need both, I'd regret it if I got one or the other. There's a fully built 2012 transam for $1000, I think I'll get it.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveagibsonsg View Post
    I'm torn on if I should get a 29er or a 26er HT. I love the pop and handling of the 26" but the 29er is so much smoother overall its hard to overlook. I already got a big squishy 26" bike so the 29er would fit in nicely. I think I just need both, I'd regret it if I got one or the other. There's a fully built 2012 transam for $1000, I think I'll get it.

That one on ebay? Im watching it too. Its got some cheap wheels and brakes and I dont think im gonna bid.

I messaged him and I also think he is part retarded. Keep that in mind when purchasing.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Before my 29er Hardtail cracked I loved the bike especially for road and ground control,

But in my opinion they cant replace or compete with the agileness of a 26er especially on tight turns.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just put in an order for a Honzo at the lbs. Should be here next week, pretty stoked. Elected to just buy the whole bike rather than build.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdjohnson121 View Post
    Just put in an order for a Honzo at the lbs. Should be here next week, pretty stoked. Elected to just buy the whole bike rather than build.
    Where's the fun in that?

dwt
    mtbr member
    Where's the fun in that?
    Upgrading later all the parts you compromised on buying a built bike
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    Same, 29". Very happy with this setup.
    They can take my 29" Kona Honzo from me when they pry it from my cold dead hands.
    Same here, the more I ride mine the more I love it. I don't think I'll ever go back to 26" for a hardtail. And as far as weight goes, it feels much lighter than it is when actually out riding.
    "So do me a favor. Find your bike, whatever kind of bike it is. And RIDE it." -Gary Fisher

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    still 26" and steel..for an AM hardtail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeed McGee View Post
    Same here, the more I ride mine the more I love it. I don't think I'll ever go back to 26" for a hardtail. And as far as weight goes, it feels much lighter than it is when actually out riding.
    I agree with all those points. Although I'd love to get my Honzo to 30 lbs, from just shy over 31, but there's nothing really I'd change without having to spend a huge chunk of change. Definitely rides like it's under 30 lbs.

mtbr member
    I agree with all those points. Although I'd love to get my Honzo to 30 lbs, from just shy over 31, but there's nothing really I'd change without having to spend a huge chunk of change. Definitely rides like it's under 30 lbs.
    I've got mine down to just under 29 lbs (I think, been a while since I've weighed it) but I'm a skinny guy, haha. I do have a Thomson dropper post and carbon bar, along with some carbon wheels on my list of things to get though
    "So do me a favor. Find your bike, whatever kind of bike it is. And RIDE it." -Gary Fisher

mtbr member

Weagle must be laughing hard somewhere on his island... So many hardtails look like carbon copies of the original Evil Sov. Especially this one. I mean...

And to think the bike was designed about a decade ago...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3