Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

All mountain hard tail guys... rolling 26, 27.5 or 29 this year?

18K views 86 replies 51 participants last post by  kelticknotts 
#1 ·
what direction are you guys going this year with the three wheel sizes... seems like its dominated by 26? what are your thoughts.

#47 ·
Forgive me. I forgot that not everyone has the slightest mechanical intuition that's required to remove a stock stem and replace it with something more appropriate for the intended use.

And, for what it's worth, the stem is not longer than the travel of the fork.

#55 ·
Kona is gonna have the 650B Explosif which is supposed to be similar to the Honzo. Should be available early 2013.

Have yet to be able to get any solid geometry #'s out of Kona yet but I keep trying.

#59 ·
Making the transition to 29er HT next summer.

Just bought the frame, wheels, fork. Banshee Paradox, SR Charger Pro wheelset, Manitou Tower Pro 120mm fork.

I'll ride my 26er full suspension for 1 more season, it's still quite decent. I'll beat it up some more until I'm done building up the Paradox.

Other 29ers considered: Canfield Yelli, Chromag Rootdown, Diamondback Mason in hardtail. Thought about trying a Niner RIP,SC tallboy, or Salsa Horsethief. But went with the hard tail to try something different for a while.

#60 ·
I'm torn on if I should get a 29er or a 26er HT. I love the pop and handling of the 26" but the 29er is so much smoother overall its hard to overlook. I already got a big squishy 26" bike so the 29er would fit in nicely. I think I just need both, I'd regret it if I got one or the other. There's a fully built 2012 transam for $1000, I think I'll get it.

#75 ·
Going to be building up a 2016 Nimble 9, running it 29 and 27.5+.

Wanted a bike on the steeper side to compliment my 6" 66.5˚/65.5˚ FS bike, but not a pure XC steed. So many bikes are on the slacker side, it was a little hard to find a steel "trail" bike. 29" because I have a solid set of wheels to build the bike around, B+ because why the hell not?

#76 ·
26, which I just bought, but I'm waiting to see what 2016 holds for 26+... I could be convinced that way depending on how they feel. At least it would be sweet for wide rim availability.

the why: I ride east coast trails with a lot of slow-tech, steep jumps, sharp sharp sharp turns and log-overs that are a blast to ride on what amounts to a big bmx bike (though a lot slacker HT angle). It really is driven by my local terrain and how I like to have fun on the trails.

#81 ·
I'm surprised all you guys that have been around a while are doing the + thing. Granted it was only a demo, but my time on a 650b+ reminded me why i didn't like high volume light tires years ago- i couldn't get them to be plush and tractiony and not bottom at speed at the same air pressure. For me, heavier casings are the ticket for low pressure grip, not air volume. I hope it works better for you guys!

#82 ·
I'm surprised all you guys that have been around a while are doing the + thing.
I feel ya. In fairness, it's a safe tryout. Was planning a 27.5 regular build but the 26+ rims/tires came for free. If it is teh suck - right back to regular 27.5 w/ roughly the same geo. Got me a lot of bikes so the niche market keeps it sort of fresh. Each build starts with some sort of stupid vision or harebrained idea - "What if I....?".

#85 ·
27.5 firm believer here, every bike has a purpose tho, if i bought a DH bike now it would be a 26 for its cheaper and has more abundant parts. All mtn i love my 27.5, very nible AND pretty dam effecient...29er for those long days where ya just wanna cruise and keep on going. just my 2c

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.