Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

All-Mountain frame on a budget?? Best for the money........

10K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  mp29k 
#1 ·
Im in the market for a 17" all mountain FS frame---Yet, I do not want to break the bank at all. I have all the components from my previous bike, but Ive cracked the frame and haven't stayed in the loop for decent frame in quite a while.

I would like something, NON-mainstream. I like helping out the smaller companies and I am currently looking at the DSF by HarveyCycles.com. Plus they are right up the road from me.

Anyways, are ya'lls thoughts, Im honestly open to any and everything as long as its a good price and decently made.

Thanks!
B

#2 ·
#4 ·
That Blitz may be the one bike that might make me consider going *gasp* full-suspension! Oh no! :) Great price tho, nice looking geometry, and seems to be well specced. Just have to wait and see...

Ross

#11 ·
TOEHEAD said:
Im in the market for a 17" all mountain FS frame---Yet, I do not want to break the bank at all. I have all the components from my previous bike, but Ive cracked the frame and haven't stayed in the loop for decent frame in quite a while.

I would like something, NON-mainstream. I like helping out the smaller companies and I am currently looking at the DSF by HarveyCycles.com. Plus they are right up the road from me.

Anyways, are ya'lls thoughts, Im honestly open to any and everything as long as its a good price and decently made.

Thanks!
B
another at adrenaline bikes:
Marin quad tara - 4-6" for 699
or shop around for entire bike...not much marketing, superior reviews, looks are not for the picky
i love mine - but i am biased. search on the forum for quad tara or marin tara for reviews - attack trail and wolf ridge are the models

as far as the frames are concerend, the frame is shared b/t all bikes in the line up - so it doesnt matter which frame you get (other than color) quad tara is one frame (adjustable()OR quad (4")

#13 ·
SSINGA said:
sure, if you don't mind cracked frames:eek:
SS,

I think you're referring to the cracked chainstay problem, correct?

If so, that particular part was beefed up on the '04's pretty dramatically. I have a buddy (Juice) that cracked the chainstay on his Saber a couple of years ago and hasn't had an issue with it since they sent him the '04 chainstays. I'm sure he went bigger on that bike than most as it was Shore / Whistler bike (DH build w/ Super T) before betting his VPF. He's still riding it as his "xc" bike with a 36 lb. build on it.

For the money, I'd say this is a hard deal to beat. Might not get him the prestige of the RFX / Nomad / 6.6, but he could put the extra $1,100+ towards better components AND a trip to Whistler or Moab.

Cheers,
EBX

#14 ·
ebxtreme said:
SS,

I think you're referring to the cracked chainstay problem, correct?

If so, that particular part was beefed up on the '04's pretty dramatically. I have a buddy (Juice) that cracked the chainstay on his Saber a couple of years ago and hasn't had an issue with it since they sent him the '04 chainstays. I'm sure he went bigger on that bike than most as it was Shore / Whistler bike (DH build w/ Super T) before betting his VPF. He's still riding it as his "xc" bike with a 36 lb. build on it.

For the money, I'd say this is a hard deal to beat. Might not get him the prestige of the RFX / Nomad / 6.6, but he could put the extra $1,100+ towards better components AND a trip to Whistler or Moab.

Cheers,
EBX
Heard of and have seen cracked seat tubes also. I'd buy a close-out Kona or Specialized before the Azonic.

#15 ·
Seems like you're on the right track with those Harvey bikes, especially if they're "just up the road". There's nothing that beats having the frame builder right around the corner. The bikes look pretty sweet and the prices look pretty good too boot.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.