Fragglepuss The Chaste

All Mountain Flow Chart

I've been painstakingly working on this flow chart for the last year and a half. Seems there were a ton of Threads in here as to the nature of the ever important 'All-Mountain' definition and where it falls within the Mountain Bike hierarchy.

Now before some kid with a dirt jumper gets his panties all wrapped up in a wad, I realize I left out DJ, pump track, freestyle and others, but the flow chart was getting way too long so I had to abbreviate it.

Hope this helps.

Biking Like Crazy!
    According to your chart I'm defiantely "ALL-MOUNTAIN"! ..LOL!
    Nice work there!

mtbr member
    Thanks slcrockymountainrider!

I found your flow chart to be very confusing. What gloves should I buy if I want to do all mountain and super d? Your chart doesn't say. Also, what is derby, and should I use flats or clipless for derby?

Blue Pig
    I see freeride on there but do people know that it's not actually, free?
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

usually cranky
    lol @ black diamond.

T.W.O
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    lol @ black diamond.
    Dude, that defines me.

www.derbyrims.com
    Great to see bicycle derby is still in the flow. It's rare to see derbies mentioned anymore, as if they ever were before. Not sure how the trail riding and racer pictures relate to a derby, but it is an evolving sport, and these other activities may preceded or follow a derby.

Classical bicycle derby may have reached it's highest popularity in the early '80's with the warmer season's monthly full moon derbies on the Blithdale Ridge of Mt. Tam, when up to 35 riders would assemble from around the Bay Area for a night of socializing and derby, followed sometimes by a trail ride until dawn. There are two annual derbies still held in Marin, the April Fools Derby on Angel Island, and the New Years Day Derby at the top of the Marin Headlands.

Occasional mention of bicycle derbies are still seen in Dirt Rag magazine, headquartered in Pennsylvania where derby caught on in the '80's.

The origin was in the early to mid-70's at the San Francisco Polo Field where riders would mill around "derbying" in a close circle, warming up before the weekend bicycle polo games played on cyclecross bikes.

Flat pedals are recommend to derby, and a bike you don't mind getting thrashed from accidental contact and a sometime towering bike pile. There are no rules, except periodic "cocktail rules" where you must have a drink in one hand while participating.

The objective of a derby is to not dab while trying to ride in the way of others to get them to dab. Riding in a closely limited area with many riders makes it difficult to avoid dabbing. A great way to increase skills at low speed balance and handling, trying to lean on and block other rider's progress, while avoiding yourself from being stopped and dabbing or falling. A hilarious event with frequent domino effect crashes.

Some of my first trail rides nearly 30 years ago were commuting to the full moon derbies. ...hence my mtbr handle.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    We've taken Derby (Trail Bike Derby) to a whole new level out here, adding a bit of flare to make it a bit more genuine and unique to our region. I think we're up to 4 or 5 teams now with more in the works.

However, it's meaning and definition is still lost on the young and naive. I used to hold Derbies on my BMX bike back in the 80's in a track we built behind my house. Of course back then it was a helmetless, nasty affair. At one point we even built a fire pit that you had to jump over.

I'm glad to see one person got the reference, I wasn't expecting much here in the All-Mountain forum.

Next time you're passing through SLC you'll have to check one out, for $2 a pop they will be epic. We've got a bunch of killer trails lined up here in the Wasatch for 2011, most of which the general populace around here aren't aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by derby
    Great to see bicycle derby is still in the flow. It's rare to see derbies mentioned anymore, as if they ever were before. Not sure how the trail riding and racer pictures relate to a derby, but it is an evolving sport, and these other activities may preceded or follow a derby.

Classical bicycle derby may have reached it's highest popularity in the early '80's with the warmer season's monthly full moon derbies on the Blithdale Ridge of Mt. Tam, when up to 35 riders would assemble from around the Bay Area for a night of socializing and derby, followed sometimes by a trail ride until dawn. There are two annual derbies still held in Marin, the April Fools Derby on Angel Island, and the New Years Day Derby at the top of the Marin Headlands.

Occasional mention of bicycle derbies are still seen in Dirt Rag magazine, headquartered in Pennsylvania where derby caught on in the '80's.

The origin was in the early to mid-70's at the San Francisco Polo Field where riders would mill around "derbying" in a close circle, warming up before the weekend bicycle polo games played on cyclecross bikes.

Flat pedals are recommend to derby, and a bike you don't mind getting thrashed from accidental contact and a sometime towering bike pile. There are no rules, except periodic "cocktail rules" where you must have a drink in one hand while participating.

The objective of a derby is to not dab while trying to ride in the way of others to get them to dab. Riding in a closely limited area with many riders makes it difficult to avoid dabbing. A great way to increase skills at low speed balance and handling, trying to lean on and block other rider's progress, while avoiding yourself from being stopped and dabbing or falling. A hilarious event with frequent domino effect crashes.

Some of my first trail rides nearly 30 years ago were commuting to the full moon derbies. ...hence my mtbr handle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Extreme Nachos:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Ponch was Derby before there was Derby.

He doesn't bother with this 'All-Mountain', 'Over-Mountain' or 'Black Diamond' BS. It's like showing up on a brand new, stock, underpowered Kawasaki on a ride full of gang members all on the Harley's they've owned since the '70's after they were kicked out of the Service for fragging the new Lieutenant who called a Deuce And A Half 'the big green trucks that are hard to backup.'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Ponch was Derby before there was Derby.

He doesn't bother with this 'All-Mountain', 'Over-Mountain' or 'Black Diamond' BS. It's like showing up on a brand new, stock, underpowered Kawasaki on a ride full of gang members all on the Harley's they've owned since the '70's after they were kicked out of the Service for fragging the new Lieutenant who called a Deuce And A Half 'the big green trucks that are hard to backup.'
    Dude... I think I had my drink come through my nose on that one... you still crack me up.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I can't believe you accomplished that much research in only a year and a half! I look forward to what the next two years bring!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Your idea is good.

Share your idea in other forums.
    SEO

mtbr member
    Hey wait a second...I think he is making fun of us!!!!!! Boo this man!

mtbr member
    Hate to nitpick, but that is not a flow chart...

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDCA
    Hate to nitpick, but that is not a flow chart...
    It's a one-way flow chart.

mtbr member
    I thought I was All Mountain, but after viewing your chart I can clearly see that I'm Black Diamond.

Is there any kind of hybrid of the two riding styles or can they simply not be spliced?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit
    I thought I was All Mountain, but after viewing your chart I can clearly see that I'm Black Diamond.

Is there any kind of hybrid of the two riding styles or can they simply not be spliced?
    My research revealed that only Richard Cunningham and the other 'editors' at MBAction were Black Diamond. Sorry.

If you found yourself confused as to where you fit in while browsing the 'All-Mountain' forum, then I would consider yourself part of the lucky few.

However, if you've started a thread announcing the length of your stem, your having switched to flat pedals and/or back to clipless and/or posted up a photo of your 'All-Mountain' bike that has the letters 'XC' factory painted on the frame somewhere, then don't worry. You've made it home .

biking is fun
    double post for fun

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    We've taken Derby (Trail Bike Derby) to a whole new level out here, adding a bit of flare to make it a bit more genuine and unique to our region. I think we're up to 4 or 5 teams now with more in the works.

Next time you're passing through SLC you'll have to check one out, for $2 a pop they will be epic. We've got a bunch of killer trails lined up here in the Wasatch for 2011, most of which the general populace around here aren't aware of.
    This derby idea has got my interest piqued!!

I live in SLC and get the occasional ride in with the JMH/Err/Zak crew but am far far below their endurance level (mainly just do shuttle rides and I street sessions with them). Combining that with being of the predominant faith here makes me not eligible for all of the derby activities. However if there were some amendment to the beer chug and maybe some handicap for us slow out of shape people (maybe an extra minute for every body fat percentage you have over your competitor) then i would be in.

Maybe i'll hit the spin bike harder now and only have one excuse by the time the derby starts....

Oh and im definitely Freeride according to your chart with a little black diamond when i ride with the fam

Biking Like Crazy!
    Hey Slc.rider...is this great "research" for your PHD thesis in Cycling Theory!

read: PHD....Piled Higher & Deeper!

Good lol going on here!

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    If you ride with those guys occasionally, then you are more than ready to derby. Rumor has it Zak is either joining the F-Bombs! or starting his own team. JMH took second last year and Err took third-both with epic crashes and collisions with others. I think Krispy's winning time was around 40minutes with the beer chug and puking.
    This season there is rumor of some of big wig factory riders coming out although I think they're still a bit nervous.
    We have three courses in mind that are pretty epic and potentially a fourth in the High Uinta's that is just brutal (it's claimed 2 Giro Xen helmets, multiple brake rotors, saddles and tons of lost skin). I showed it to JMH and I believe Zak rode it and was blown away by it. One will be experts/pro's only as it is a bit too dangerous, even for the 'All-Mountain' folk that post up here.

Get with JMH, email Furious George on the site or go to Go-Ride and ask how to get involved.

Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    This derby idea has got my interest piqued!!

I live in SLC and get the occasional ride in with the JMH/Err/Zak crew but am far far below their endurance level (mainly just do shuttle rides and I street sessions with them). Combining that with being of the predominant faith here makes me not eligible for all of the derby activities. However if there were some amendment to the beer chug and maybe some handicap for us slow out of shape people (maybe an extra minute for every body fat percentage you have over your competitor) then i would be in.

Maybe i'll hit the spin bike harder now and only have one excuse by the time the derby starts....

Oh and im definitely Freeride according to your chart with a little black diamond when i ride with the fam