Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

All Mountain floor pump?

I am getting bike ready for tomorrow's All Mountain ride and realize my floor pump is inadequate for such a burly All Mountain bike. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    Last edited by tubadude; 07-13-2007 at 01:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My pump is also woefully inadequate for an All Mountain bike so I have reverted to gripping the valve with my teeth and just inflating that tire myself. I'm searching for a true All Mountain pump and some ALL Mountain valve caps. When I find some, I'll report back.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yes..
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Okay, quit teasing the poor guy and tell him what your All Mountain floor pump recommendations are. They better not be some dinky lil XC floor pump either. We are talking only All Mountain here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    t0t411y.

ALL Mtn. pumps r the hardest core. dude you should get like a schwinn or a JEEP or a HUMMER pump. wut's more all mtn than a hummer? berly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    How about a 60 gallon Husky floor pump, thats AM adequate?

mtbr member
    Make sure it has an all mountain handle and lock on grips, ODI work well. Get the one with the 10' air hose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac1911
    Make sure it has an all mountain handle and lock on grips, ODI work well. Get the one with the 10' air hose.
    Is there a review in Mountain Bike Action you can post a link to? I would hate to buy one and find out it is only a XC pump made a bit heavier and relabeled.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just bought a compressor thinking it would be the bare minimum for a true All Mountain pump. However, I'm having a bit of trouble putting it in my car every time I go ride. This is ridiculous. The only helpful advice I can offer is this:

A true All Mountain Pump will air a tire in at least the same number of strokes as the tire size. So a 2.1 takes 2.1 pumps and a 2.4 takes 2.4 pumps. Any worse and you may as well toss it at the next XC weenie you see.

All the best in your search and all future All Mountain activities.

long standing member
    I just blow mine up manually. That includes seating my DH tubeless tires on the rim. My lungs are very strong.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tubadude
    Is there a review in Mountain Bike Action you can post a link to? I would hate to buy one and find out it is only a XC pump made a bit heavier and relabeled.
    Here'a a link to a pump. Not what I use, I ride XC and DH so I dont have the need for the All Mountain pumps. Good luck.

http://www.mypleasure.com/Sex-Toy-Fireman's-Pump.asp?dept_id=901

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by tubadude
    I am getting bike ready for tomorrow's All Mountain ride and realize my floor pump is inadequate for such a burly All Mountain bike. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    You're comtemplating buying an ALL MOUNTAIN pump that's going to be used on the FLOOR? You're obviously woefully under-qualified for even aspiring to owning an All Mountain pump.

Me hates pinchflat
    dudes... tubes (and tires) are for wussies. They are just a crutch for the not-machos. Riding on the bare rim is where its at
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

PUMPS ??...........can't choose

I get so confused sometimes figuring out which pump i should use for which bike I have. I have so many...... XC pump, All mountain pump, freeride pump, downhill pump. Maybe I should label them. I wouldn't want to use the wrong pump on the wrong bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac1911
    Here'a a link to a pump. Not what I use, I ride XC and DH so I dont have the need for the All Mountain pumps. Good luck.

http://www.mypleasure.com/Sex-Toy-Fireman's-Pump.asp?dept_id=901
    Order placed. They had a lot of stuff for All Mountain Man, but very little stuff for All Mountain bikes.

King of vegetarians
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    I just blow mine up manually. That includes seating my DH tubeless tires on the rim. My lungs are very strong.
    Wouldn't it be more correct to say orally then?
    Black Sheep Dream Bike Design
    www.blacksheepbikes.com
    The future is not retro proof.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by yoginasser
    Wouldn't it be more correct to say orally then?

Probably, I didn't want to be that explicit...you know it's a family website and all. My meaning was more along the lines of definition #2.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    This thread emphasizes what I dislike about the sport of cycling now. I have been out of the riding scene for the last 10 years. I was on a 20" then riding street and dirt. I had a GT Outpost too...bottom of the line. I could pull 3's, no footers etc. on it. I didn't have to go out and purchase a DJ bike just for this. I made it work with what I had. Alot of the threads I see deal with petty "best all mountain sock" type of subjects. Stop posing and worrying about what label your equipment has on it and go ride.

I will stick with my industrial 10 hp air pump with off road nobbies on it to make it easier to move and a mini pump.

the goose is loose!
    this entire thread is sarcasm to the max.....can't you see that? it's a floor pump for god sakes...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kbdub
    This thread emphasizes what I dislike about the sport of cycling now. I have been out of the riding scene for the last 10 years. I was on a 20" then riding street and dirt. I had a GT Outpost too...bottom of the line. I could pull 3's, no footers etc. on it. I didn't have to go out and purchase a DJ bike just for this. I made it work with what I had. Alot of the threads I see deal with petty "best all mountain sock" type of subjects. Stop posing and worrying about what label your equipment has on it and go ride.

I will stick with my industrial 10 hp air pump with off road nobbies on it to make it easier to move and a mini pump.
    360 and no footers on a GT Outpost!?!?! R U SPAWNSORED!?!?!?!?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Not sponsored and KIDS are pulling 3's on flat ground now. Doing a flip is becoming just another trick. Stuff is progressing super fast due to foam pits. It's not really a big change to go from a 20" to a mountain bike with respect to dirt jumping. Both behave the same once in the air. I learned on my 20" (Hoffman Taj) and then moved to the Outpost for fun. It also helped that I was in highschool and my balls were much bigger back then. Turn your head and your body will follow.

Me hates pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by rm_racer
    this entire thread is sarcasm to the max.....can't you see that? it's a floor pump for god sakes...
    yah, I thought it was pretty darn obvious
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rm_racer
    Come on, man. There is a world of difference between a tire designed to withstand the rigors of All Mountain abuse and one designed for XC riding. My tires are way beefier and I can't take the chance of a part breaking if I use flimsy weight weenie equipment.

I gotta know that the air in my tires is All Mountain.

the goose is loose!
    you have an excellent point.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast