Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2014

All mountain DH XC bike

Hello, i am looking for a bike its a bit picky but i need one that can do what i have asked, here is what it preferably needs:

-27.5 tyres (Preferable but don't neeeed them)
    -over 140mm of travel
    -can do a little XC but mainly for DH more all mountain
    -under the $3500 price range
    -if anyone can find a second hand bike that would be fine (Size small)
    -can wait a few months if the bike will take a few months to be released E.G Specialized 2015 range
    -preferably in between $2000-$2500 but can be more expensive or lower, it doesn't matter

Please show me pictures and good suggestion, thank you!!!

mtbr member
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Based on price range, I'd say either the Intense Tracer 27.5 or the Santa Cruz Bronson. They both have $3500 build kits. Otherwise, check out Giant or Kona. Both easy(er) on the wallet than some of the boutique brands.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Would a Specialized enduro comp be good, I'm in Australia and I couldn't find a place that would sell Santa Cruz and Intense I find a bit expensive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    As long as it fits correctly, then yes.

i would like to add that I have seen an enduro 29 in person, and the rear shock mount worries me. Not only because it's proprietary, but it looked weak and fragile. I haven't heard of any problems with it, though.

mtbr member
    evil uprising! (26")

Evil Uprising - review

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Everyone that responds is going to throw out their favorite bike so I guess I will too. I don't think you can beat the value of a Devinci Troy Carbon XP - Pike/Monarch/Carbon Frame platform for under $3500.
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

LCW
    mtbr member
    Raise your price and the Nomad 27.5 would be perfect. But it's carbon and hence pricey. Who knows if they'll do an aluminum version, but I would expect they will eventually.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    All Mountain Downhill XC Bike...Hmm, call me crazy for this revelation but have we come full circle and are ALL riding mountain bikes again??? That would be cool. Any bikes mentioned above with 5 or 6ish inch travels (unless you're talking 29er's like process 111 with shorter travel but bigger wheel) are going to be great all around bikes. Find one that looks awesome, fits right, and is within your budget and you can't go wrong!
    I was sceptical of 650b but since I was shopping a new bike I figured I better get on board and I honestly don't even think about wheel size anymore. I did at first but it was just a big brain fart. I'm pretty impressed with the way that the bike companies have embraced this size and built a ton of variety eventhough they caught a lot of heat the last several years for considering it. I tested a ton of makes and models and the "enduro" fad going on has produced a lot of good bikes based around what you're looking for. Some will climb better, some are super slack and there are different suspensions out there but at the heart 5 and 6 inch travel 650bs all have the same pedigree--climb, pedal, descend, rinse, and repeat. They roll down flat fire roads too.

Rock n' Roller
    In terms of a do-it-all bike, I've been very, very happy with my Ibis Mojo HD (26er...I know, I know). Burly enough to handle some DH and all mountain, nimble enough to soar, and climbs well enough that the grueling climbs out in CB are manageable. Normally it would have been very pricey and far out of my price range, but due to the 27.5 craze, many 26er bikes that were previously too expensive have suddenly become possible.

If you are looking at value as well as quality, I wouldn't rule the 26er out. You'll be able to get a much better bike with better components for less than you would a 27.5 with the current market trend.

I actually don't think I've been on a "bad" bike in a while - just bikes that weren't quite right for me.

Have you had a chance to demo anything to get a better feel for what you are looking for?

FKA Malibu412
    Norco Range
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowgypsy View Post
    In terms of a do-it-all bike, I've been very, very happy with my Ibis Mojo HD (26er...I know, I know). Burly enough to handle some DH and all mountain, nimble enough to soar, and climbs well enough that the grueling climbs out in CB are manageable. Normally it would have been very pricey and far out of my price range, but due to the 27.5 craze, many 26er bikes that were previously too expensive have suddenly become possible.

If you are looking at value as well as quality, I wouldn't rule the 26er out. You'll be able to get a much better bike with better components for less than you would a 27.5 with the current market trend.

I actually don't think I've been on a "bad" bike in a while - just bikes that weren't quite right for me.

Have you had a chance to demo anything to get a better feel for what you are looking for?
    I ended up on 650b, but had I found a deal like you did on a 26 I would have strongly considered it. There are some great internet deals on sb66 carbons right now. If I could have found my size I would have bought that bike.

Rock n' Roller
    Quote Originally Posted by 802spokestoke View Post
    I ended up on 650b, but had I found a deal like you did on a 26 I would have strongly considered it. There are some great internet deals on sb66 carbons right now. If I could have found my size I would have bought that bike.
    I actually was in the market for a sb66c, but alas no xs were to be found. I found my current steed on Jenson, full warranty, XT build for about 50% off. There are some great deals on competitive cyclist I believe and on Yeti's site. My husband found a sb66c full XT build for well under 4. Even my lbs is trying to "dump" their 26 stock to make room for the newer 27.5 models. If wheel size doesn't matter and you are just looking for a great all around all mountain bike, this is a pretty awesome time to be on the market if you know what to look for and where.

And a big shout out to the Evil Uprising. That bike is amazing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Norco Range
    I was thinking the Norco Sight ... a little more on the trail / XC side and a better climber.
    Are you really sure about that?

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by MSLKauai View Post
    I was thinking the Norco Sight ... a little more on the trail / XC side and a better climber.
    I might prefer the Sight as well but he said over 140mm travel, a little XC, but more DH/AM. Range.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Commencal Meta AM

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Does anyone have any reviews and opinions on the Specialized endure comp also i think it the 2015 version will be 27.5.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Montio View Post
    Does anyone have any reviews and opinions on the Specialized endure comp also i think it the 2015 version will be 27.5.
    Yes, they do. A quick search will even display them for reading!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    I might prefer the Sight as well but he said over 140mm travel, a little XC, but more DH/AM. Range.
    the range is on a recall from norco. won't be available until 2015 now from the sounds of it

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    the range is on a recall from norco. won't be available until 2015 now from the sounds of it
    Last I heard that was on the Range Carbon which is a little out of the OP's price range. The 2014 alloy is not a problem, is still available, and is in the budget.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    i like that suggestion about the fit and looking awesome.

everything you said is pretty much how i ride my bronson.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Montio View Post
    Hello, i am looking for a bike its a bit picky but i need one that can do what i have asked, here is what it preferably needs:

-27.5 tyres (Preferable but don't neeeed them)
    -over 140mm of travel
    -can do a little XC but mainly for DH more all mountain
    -under the $3500 price range
    -if anyone can find a second hand bike that would be fine (Size small)
    -can wait a few months if the bike will take a few months to be released E.G Specialized 2015 range
    -preferably in between $2000-$2500 but can be more expensive or lower, it doesn't matter

Please show me pictures and good suggestion, thank you!!!
    2013 Santa Cruz V10 Carbon. Sub 30 pounds. - Pinkbike Forum
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Ignore List: CannondaleF9, ShinDiggity, smilinsteve

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Enduro Comp 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    rocky mountain altitude

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast