The Other Dude

All Mountain Cranks and Wheels?

I currently have a 2005 Enduro that i am trying to loose some weight on, and make it a lighter weight All mountain rig. I think the build is a bit overkill for what i do with it, i have my SX Trail and Demo to do the big hit stuff with, so the Enduro is for just going fast down rough stuff, and the occasional small jump or drop that goes with the flow of the trail, usually nothing more than 3-4 feet max.

Right now I have a Saint crank on the bike, and it nice because its super stiff, but i know is WAY overkill for what i do, and the saint are better suited on my SXT. I was looking into a lighter crank.......and possibly dare i say a Carbon Truvativ Stylo GXP????? Would i be ok with that, or is it too lightweight? I am 175lbs with my gear on.

The next question is for my wheels, again, i am WAY overkill with Mavic 823's laced to hope pro II hubs. My options are either getting some 819's and putting them on the Hope hubs, or just putting the 823s on my SXT and getting a decent deal on a set of Crossmax XL's that the local shop has left over? I want to run tubeless for the wheels, and i want a UST wheel/rim, want to stay away from rimstrips.

What should i go for?
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

I already rode that
    I dont like Truvativ's that much (more from hearing about ppl bending them) but if you feel you can get away with them go ahead. Wheels wise the Hopepro2 hubs with the 819's be good as well as the crossmax XL's but the spokes might be an issue if you break them.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Just go xtr.

The Other Dude
    The XTR's are almost twice the price, i can get the Stylo Carbons for 199 shipped to my door, i cant find the XTR's for under 360.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    May 2006
    where can you get the stylo carbons for that price?

and anyway, you can get XT's for around 200 and they are lighter than those truvativ carbons.
    XT's are 860g
    Truvativ carbons 880g

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...om-Bracket.htm

personally, I run hones which a little heavier than XT's but I love them, and seeing as I got a nearly brand new set including an e-13 bashguard all for $50 I can't complain at all

The Other Dude
    Wow, that was a heck of a deal, what is the weight on the Hones? There is a local shop closing out the the stylo carbons.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    the three ring setup is 928 grams.
    the LX is pretty much the same crank and I think is almost the same weight. Can be had for 150ish.

but that deal on the XT's to me is the best bang for the buck as far as price, weight, and strength. If I were in need of a new crankset, I wouldn't hesitate on buying them (and probably will for the hardtail I'm currenlty working on)

mtbr member
    i have the stylo gxp on 3 different bikes... no problems, light and in-expensive... 1 on my ss rig and the other two on a fs xc ride and 1 hard tail. i weigh 194ish if its worth anything..
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9
    8 missing teeth-$23K IOU from tooth fairy
    rattled brain forgetting impact-PRICELESS

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Hone cranks = LX cranks

I have RF Atlas cranks and they are pretty nice. They are low 900s with the BB IIRC.

5.1d rims? 500g, 28mm.... i like my set so far. Lace them up to some nice high engagement hubs.. hadley, I9s.

edit. you said UST.. i guess you can convert 5.1d to tubeless? some extra work involved though..

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    Hone cranks = LX cranks

I have RF Atlas cranks and they are pretty nice. They are low 900s with the BB IIRC.
    Whoah, whoah...hold up a minute. The Hone 3 ring circus is actually different than the 22/32/BG believe it or not. If you look at pictures of each very closely...the spindles, spiders, and pedal inserts look different. The 3-ring Hone is a black LX with a different spider. The 22/32/BG Hone is more like the Saint. I own a set of 2 ring Hones and they have Steel Pedal Inserts like the Saint. They also have Stainless Steel spindle like the Saint. They use XT rings instead of the m580's too.

So, I got my Hone's for $145 new at an online vendor and I like them MUCH better than the LX's and Saint's that I owned. It's the best of both worlds.

Only 70grams heavier than XT + you get Steel inserts and SS spindle. Tough and light all at the same time.

Oh, and for wheels...I just had Universalcycles build me some Hope Pro II hubs with DT EX 5.1d rims and DT competition spokes. I beat them up pretty good and they've proven their worth. Light and strong. $500

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Notice the spindle and pedal inserts on the 2 ring vs. 3 ring Hone. The reason the Hone pedal insert looks larger than the Saint in the pic's is because it's pictured with the washer that completes the sandwich. The Saint is pictured without the outside washer.

mtbr member
    The outboard bearings on my Hone say DH on them, I don't know the LX have these. I got the 3-ring and converted. Oh, my hones are invincible!
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

The Other Dude
    That is some VERY interesting info about the Hones, i may have to keep them in mind.

Me hates pinchflat
    Yeah, I bought a pair of Hone cranks from Chad @ Red Barn at a great price.
    What everybody is saying is true. The 3 ring Hones are the same as LX. However, the 2 ring + bashguard (the one I got) has steel spindle and pedal inserts. If youd like to save so weight, and not safrifice much stiffness, I think they could be a good choice
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The difference between the LX and Hone 3 ring looks to be different spider (backwards'ish) and XT rings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 545cu4ch
    Yeah, I bought a pair of Hone cranks from Chad @ Red Barn at a great price.
    What everybody is saying is true. The 3 ring Hones are the same as LX. However, the 2 ring + bashguard (the one I got) has steel spindle and pedal inserts. If youd like to save so weight, and not safrifice much stiffness, I think they could be a good choice
    +1 on Hone 2-ring. I upgraded the middle ring to a 34, and the crankset is still ~930g.

I originally picked up a Stylo GXP, but the 49mm chainline did not work with my ISCG Stinger, otherwise it's a nice crankset too.

Me hates pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    +1 on Hone 2-ring. I upgraded the middle ring to a 34, and the crankset is still ~930g.

I originally picked up a Stylo GXP, but the 49mm chainline did not work with my ISCG Stinger, otherwise it's a nice crankset too.
    Yeah, I would like to upgrade to a 34. 32 is definitely not enough when pedalling dh
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    OK Yeah I was referring to the 3 ring hone. It is the same as LX but black.