Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 91
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PR0PHET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    17

    All-Mountain Bike - Worth to read!

    I just wanted to share my experience with purchasing an All-Mountain bike. This was originally posted in the Manufacturer section but thought this deserved to be in this section as well.

    After many test rides and reading reviews on pretty much every all mountain bike on the planet, i had come up with my own conclusion and purchased the C'Dale Prophet 1000.

    One thing I find when getting other opinions is that people tend to be very loyal to a brand of bike that they purchase. They pretty much start buying bumper stickers, tattoos and apprarel from the same company and try to get everyone under the sun to follow and preach that their bike is the best. Because of this it's hard to get a technically accurate opinion based on comparitive research. Loyalty tends to be human nature but I had to sit down and really look at this from a technical perspective.

    Every manufacturer tries to put together a bike that will best suit a certain application and attempt to blow out the competition through their own proven technology. It's no secret that magazines get their palms greased when reviewing a bike just to boost sales.

    In the end, the smartest shopper will try to control the anxiety and excitment of buying a bike and do quite a bit of research before hand. It's hard to resist buying a bike from the first LBS you go too. Those sales reps tend to convince you that the brands they carry are the best. Now it is more difficult then ever before as there are so many categories of bikes. We had the Jekyll which mutated to Scalpels and Prophets, and now we have Prophet MX's / Prophet / Europe's Prophet SL's / Rush / Scalpel. They have basically taken the popular All-Mountain platform and made it more difficult to decide. And I'm just talking about C'Dale's here. Have you seen Specialized's catalogue? Or Trek's? Shouldn't there be a bike that weighs 25lbs and does it all?

    Well I used to ride Trek's in the past so naturally I started out looking at them. To cut to the chase, I have tested them all and researched them all. Giant, Specialized and C'Dale were my top picks, but I have to tell you, propietary or not, C'Dale is a real winner. The biggest emphasis in the All-Moutain category seems to be the rear suspension technology. Now I'm not talking about which shock you use because that can always be changed for an absorber that better suits your style of riding. I'm talking about linkages. There are some real wild looking linkages out there and my original thought was that the more wicked they looked the better suspension. WRONG!!! I had to step back and look at motocross technology and motorcycle suspension. I'm sure they have thought of different linkages but a single pivot point has been the most effective. Ultimately, with the properly located shock a single pivot is simply stronger and very effective.

    With this info I decided to look for single pivots and concluded that the C'Dale will be my pick. Truthfully after owning this bike for a month, it seems to eat up anything in it's path. It's light, nimble and has a great suspension package including the patented Lefty. It's just a matter of time before C'Dale will make it available to other manufactures. We all know what happened with Sony and their superior Beta Video technology. I don't think the same thing will happen here with the Lefty as it is at the top of its class.

    In the end I am not here to preech about C'Dale and that it is the best. We all need to note one thing , "Your bike is only as good as the pilot!". But I will say that compared to other bikes in 2006 in the All-Mountain category, the Prophet is truly the way to go if you want a bike that can do everything very very well!

    Sorry for the long story but I felt that some people looking to buy a bike may find this helpful.

    I hope the 2006 season will be great fo you all!

    Cheers!

  2. #2
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Versus Blitz is the best & i have the stickers to prove it!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 856er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    380
    Whyte46 is the best & I have the bike to prove it

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: el_chupo_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,218
    "One thing I find when getting other opinions is that people tend to be very loyal to a brand of bike that they purchase. They pretty much start buying bumper stickers, tattoos and apprarel from the same company and try to get everyone under the sun to follow and preach that their bike is the best. Because of this it's hard to get a technically accurate opinion based on comparitive research. Loyalty tends to be human nature but I had to sit down and really look at this from a technical perspective."

    you say this^^

    then you say this

    "But I will say that compared to other bikes in 2006 in the All-Mountain category, the Prophet is truly the way to go if you want a bike that can do everything very very well!"

    this is simply your review of the Cdale, telling us its best. that is what you complain about everyone else doing. Frankly, the Prophet may be the best bike in the world for YOU. but the fact remails, that it may be horibble for me, and my terrain.

    And saying that a single pivot is the best design is simply not taking into account how much the shock technology has evolved. If it werent for Stable Platform shocks, the SP would be all but extinct from current high end bikes. Simply put, it is innefecient for peddleing. it works in MX because the bob does not affect forward progress, but helps in traction on a constantly loose surface. When there are technologys that can use standard shock valves (DW link, Maestro, etc) and achieve the same or better performance, you cannot simply state that SP is the best.

    And, you are all wrong, my Haro Escape is better at everything than anything you have!!

    Matt

  5. #5
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,019
    People, people. This marketing blow is straight outta Compton (well C'dale). Please tell me how to get a job at a bike company

    Seriously, if you don't work at C'dale, you should be offered a job!

    The 575 is THE BEST all mtn bike bar none, and I am waiting for my stickers to prove it...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,153
    Knolly V-tach.

  7. #7
    thats right living legend
    Reputation: blackagness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,378
    Boy, thanks for coming here to preach to the masses, your like a "prophet" or something. I haven't looked but let me guess, all the folks over on the Cndal boarde told ya what a great post you had so you decided to come share?

    After much research I have decided that Titus is the best, and it's only a matter of time before all the other brands are able to come to the same conclusion, and either fold or start paying Titus for thier designs...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PR0PHET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    17

    You gentlemen are all correct!

    I have to agree, and it goes with what I pointed out how much of a hard-on we have for our own bikes and their setups. Maybe I haven't researched the market enough as there was a bike or two that I never knew existed.

    My conclusion other than the C'Dale being a great bike is that the bike is only as good as its PILOT, I never did say it was the best! This we cannot disagree with. There are guys out there including yourselves that could tear up any terrain or course with ease on different bikes, not just your own and equally as well. I have seen that before!

    Thanks to all you critics though and I hope that you can all share details as to why your choice of bike is the better way to go. Education is key!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PR0PHET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    Boy, thanks for coming here to preach to the masses, your like a "prophet" or something. I haven't looked but let me guess, all the folks over on the Cndal boarde told ya what a great post you had so you decided to come share?

    After much research I have decided that Titus is the best, and it's only a matter of time before all the other brands are able to come to the same conclusion, and either fold or start paying Titus for thier designs...

    I'm not a preacher just shared my bike purchase experience boys. If this makes you uncomfortable then I apologize. Don't work for C'Dale either, wasn't my intention to come off as an employee lol. I'm sure the Titass is the best!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    135
    I started off looking at the Prophet because I am a Cannondale fan. However, the more I read the more I turned away from single pivot design. I would rather have a VPP, Horst, or DW-Link. Of those designes I started reading up on the different offerings from Santa Cruz, Specialized, Iron Horse, Ellsworth, etc, etc. After all that research I ended up with a hardtail.

    Why you might ask?

    Because it was what I can afford.

  11. #11
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Quote Originally Posted by PR0PHET
    Thanks to all you critics though and I hope that you can all share details as to why your choice of bike is the better way to go. Education is key!
    This debate never ends it just keeps getting more & more suckers to argue a worthless argument.

    Versus Blitz

  12. #12
    Hi!!!
    Reputation: BelaySlave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,544
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    The 575 is THE BEST all mtn bike bar none, and I am waiting for my stickers to prove it...
    I think I have like 3 or 4 Yeti stickers on my vehicle already! I need to get one for my Nalgene bottle!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PR0PHET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    This debate never ends it just keeps getting more & more suckers to argue a worthless argument.

    Versus Blitz

    I can appreciate that note and thanks for that! But this is equivalent to player hating which is rather funny if you look at it. I never intended on bring that on......more helpful than anything else.

    It can be almost discouraging to try to post some info on here but in the end there are all kinds of people out there and I'm sure there have been some poeple that looked at the whole thread of info on here so far and might now make a better decision between a hard tail or a Titus.

    I believe forums should contain useful information and have some sort of filter for those other who decide to bastardize this privledge.

  14. #14
    Hoops - Big and Small
    Reputation: Crash_Burn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,087
    The "What bike to buy" forum seems to house a bunch of transients. Is there even a "moderator" in this forum?

    You will find your tribe in the Cannondale Forum and they will treat you as one of there own.

    It's funny how people take pot shots at noobies, I guess it's a hazing thing.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PR0PHET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    The "What bike to buy" forum seems to house a bunch of transients. Is there even a "moderator" in this forum?

    You will find your tribe in the Cannondale Forum and they will treat you as one of there own.

    It's funny how people take pot shots at noobies, I guess it's a hazing thing.

    Please, my intention is not to join a tribe. That manufacturer section is good for those that want to exchange information such as FAQs on the same product or pretend to be a No.1 fan like those Elvis followers, PLEASE!!!!

    For the record, I own and ride my Specialized Allez everday for the last 3 years and wouldn't trade it for the world. On that note I have found far superior bikes out there that do not even compare.

    It shouldn't be about brand but rather about technology and ones experience through research. You know, if anything there should be a section called comparative research and reviews. A 20 bike shoot-out would list the pros and cons of each product and may the reader decide from there.

    Magazines have not done enough of that. One reviewer is not enough either since one might have a different opinion than another. Overalls based on 20 bikes / 20 riders.

    That would be great!

    Anyways, appreciate your thoughts and all of you, enjoy your rides!!!!

  16. #16
    Collector of Scars
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    309

    Kids, kids, kids!

    Can't we all just get along. Instead of focusing on our differences, let's all focus on what we have in common. We all enjoy riding, and that's the most important thing. Let's just try to get along, shall we?

    Only slightly less important is the fact that full suspension's for sissies anyway.

    We're all pedalers underneath.

    Ross

    P.S. Besids, my Klein Attitude Comp is the best, and I don't NEED no stickers to prove it!
    "I don't wanna die without any scars. So come on, let's do it before I lose my nerve" - Tyler Durden (Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk)

  17. #17
    thats right living legend
    Reputation: blackagness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Burn
    The "What bike to buy" forum seems to house a bunch of transients. Is there even a "moderator" in this forum?

    You will find your tribe in the Cannondale Forum and they will treat you as one of there own.

    It's funny how people take pot shots at noobies, I guess it's a hazing thing.

    It's a little strange to see a thread with something like everyone should read this, than just typicly go on about a certain bike, in the (what bike) board.

    I think you'll find, people can pic out one little nothing sentince or phrase you make and completly turn it around, and kick you in the balls with it. Everyone figures it out sooner or later, and posts accordingly. As for spanking "newbs" I hardly ever think to look at someones thread count anyway.

  18. #18
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Someone can come here ask a question about a bike or a few & get alot of different oppinions. One question & possibly 8 different suggestions. I belive you will find it very diffricult to find someone saying that this is the best bike because it's great or after someone makes a purchase that no one had suggested they get flamed. In fact all final purchases are great, another happy MTB'er.

  19. #19
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    I As for spanking "newbs" I hardly ever think to look at someones thread count anyway.
    Now your gonna hurt my feelings.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PR0PHET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    It's a little strange to see a thread with something like everyone should read this, than just typicly go on about a certain bike, in the (what bike) board.

    I think you'll find, people can pic out one little nothing sentince or phrase you make and completly turn it around, and kick you in the balls with it. Everyone figures it out sooner or later, and posts accordingly. As for spanking "newbs" I hardly ever think to look at someones thread count anyway.

    Well then what would be the point of a "what bike" section. Based on your findings there shouldn't be this section what-so-ever. I started a thread based on what I thought best suited my needs for the application and that was it. It actually would of been nice if you continued this thread through spreading information on the Titus bike or whatever else you feel deserved a spotlight. Why you gentlemen think this was a start of a "my bike is better than yours" war is beyond me and many readers i'm sure.

    I truly believe that we should all just move past this and spread good information rather than spam.

  21. #21
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,019
    Look,

    Maybe you are new to online forums, I don't know, but when you come on a forum as a brand new member and spew a bunch of manufacturer, cut and paste hyperbole, you're gonna get bashed by the masses for the most part.

    I'm glad you love that bike, thats what it's all about. I rode one before my Yeti purchase and didn't like it at all - so what does that mean? That the bike sucks? Of course not. And you saying if I (we) want the best all mountain bike get the Prophet (I'm paraphrasing), well that's just as silly....the whole editorial was kinda silly.

    Enjoy the bike, again riding and having fun is what it's about, not starting bash wars over the net. So on behalf of myself (at least), I apologize and will say that C'Dale sucks and Yeti rules!
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 04-19-2006 at 04:04 PM.

  22. #22
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    When are you going to learn it's ALL about the Versus Blitz jeezz i feel like a type writer here

  23. #23
    thats right living legend
    Reputation: blackagness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,378
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Now your gonna hurt my feelings.

    I don't "need" to look at your threadcount Seems like I remember you've passed on your advice from time to time.... Just can't seem to remember..what bike it is you might recomend.... Was it C"ndale??

  24. #24
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    I don't "need" to look at your threadcount Seems like I remember you've passed on your advice from time to time.... Just can't seem to remember..what bike it is you might recomend.... Was it C"ndale??
    Arggg noo my eys burn from that name crack&flail

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PR0PHET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    17
    Maybe I should trade it in for a Yeti!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •