Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-FSR
    MX Bikes, all except for the KTM that is, use linkages in the rear suspension. The linkage used in the Giant VT is very similar. Looks like a single pivot, because you basically see just a big swingarm. But there is a linkage in there. And the fixed chainline, how's that? The pivot is behind the countershaft sprocket (slightly), and when the suspension compresses, the chain tightens.
    There is more torque pulling on the swing arm on a MTB when your in your big ring/small cassette combo then when in the granny/largest rear cog. Since the external gear ratios are fixed on an MX bike, you don't get (or have to design around) this effect.

Check out Canefild and Brooklyn Machine Works bikes - they use a fixed chain line like a moto.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    To much BS in this thread but I have to say that the Prophet is one of the most fun bikes I have ever ridden. I have a Prophet 1-MX. The MX versions have a thru-12 int he back and a gusset under the HT for extra strength. I have a 36 VAN and a DHX Coil 5.0 on it. Killer bike that does it all. I've dropped it off of 7'ers and climbed 2-3 mile climbs on it all without any complaints. I love the Geometry, feels more like a FR bike than an XC bike which is exactly what I was looking for...XC geometry just doesn't give confidence on bike rollers, drops and steep DH runs. Overall it's the nicest bike I have ever ridden in the All Mountain category...

And with the technology of the platform shocks the single pivot is a non-issue. Fewer things to go wrong, fewer creaks, less to oil and maintain. I get virtually no pedal bob with the propedal turned up on my Prophet, when I am going to be riding more downhill I just turn the propedal down and get a very active suspension.

Tom

Bike to the Bone...
    Prophet... you started your post very well, but then you fell on head-first on your own preachings!

I've ridden a Prophet and I didn't liked it. It didn't fulfilled MY riding style. But for some it's just plain awesome. I've had a Jeckyll, and to me, I liked it better than the Prophet. I have a Moto Lite now and I just think that it blows away the Prophet. But I'm sure someone will say that their 5-Spot or whatever blows away the Moto Lite. Some will say that a Prophet is better than a 5-Spot, and we'll come around in circles. To me, I prefer my bike over the Prophet, but I don't want to push everybody for a Titus, just to whatever they like.

The Lefty is a great fork, but it's not propietary in the sense that only Cannondale can have it, I've read several reviews of different bikes that have implemented a Lefty on it. On the other hand, I've seen some owners of Prophet post that they dumped the Lefty and bought another fork. For some people the Lefty is a great fork, for some it doesn't. I don't think we will see the Lefty in the mainstream market because it's just too much expensive, specially compared to other forks. Yea yea, of course, if they mass produce it the cost will come down, but right now it's too expensive and require special adaptors, and, while the riding is great, it has some inconvenients for transportation (you would require a special roof rack, or remove the front wheel to stow inside a vehicle is VERY hard). I'm not saying it's impossible, there are some adaptors that would let a Lefty be used on a fork-based roof rack. Just harder. And there are lots of good forks out there, so I just wouldn't put my money on a Lefty.

Some like single pivot, some don't. I think that on a well built bike, a single pivot is very good. I really don't care much about linkages, I think that the whole picture is a lot more important than what it's based on.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PR0PHET
    With all that has been said.........I have taken a step back and want to take another look at some cons of the Prophet.

Could any of you gentlemen explain in technical detail, not just bashing, what makes the Prophet such an unworthy bike in its class? I am curious to see why it does not stack up to the rest of your bikes???

Hopefully someone can put together something useful here......just looking to learn a few things.
    Well, I'm not saying it is unworthy, but I can tell you what the drawbacks are. They are the same as any high-forward single pivot design. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of that design (I loved my Heckler), but there are drawbacks as well as perks, it's just a matter of what is most important to you and what/where you ride. Having gone from a similar design as the Prophet to a Horst Link, the very real and very noticable differences are:

1) The HL reains more active under chain tension (pedaling). This can translate into better traction when going up something bumpy and/or loose and steep.

2) The HL gets better traction when braking, and it does not compress the rear suspension.

3) The high forward pivot design squats less when climbing steep sections, and bobs less when I stand and hammer (though traction can suffer in some instances)

I think the high-forward pivot has a lot going for it (thus so many companies use it). A 5"-6" high forward pivot can pedal very efficiently and still soak up some very large hits. It does so at the expense of compliance over most terrain. My experience going to a HL is that with 1" less travel it is about the same in terms of efficiency, much smoother and generally gets better traction. On the other hand, when I take a hit on the larger end of the spectrum (especially a drop) the Heckler soaked it up better. That's where more travel is just better. I tried running the HL bike in 6" mode, and it soaked up big hits as well as the Heckler, but it was too mushy. To keep the pedaling efficiency up and the squating down I needed to run more of a platform than I ever did on the Heckler.

Now I know you are talking about a Prophet and not a Heckler, but the designs are nearly identical, and the primary characteristics are going to be the same, though perhaps there could be slight differences in geometry, and that is also personal preference.

I think what everyone here was reacting to is not your love of the Prophet, but the dismissive way you addressed issues that have been well discussed here on this forum. These are not people who walk into a LBS and buy the first thing they are shown. These folks (myself included) do A LOT of research themselves. Frankly, to dismiss linkages the way you did shows, IMO, a lack of knowlege of the situation. They DO make a big difference. That does not mean they are always better, but they exist for a reason. Also, as much as I like the High-Forward pivot design, that design is definitly NOT stronger than something like a "faux" bar design. The extra long swingarm makes a longer lever to torque the pivot with. Also, with most linkages, you have some support for the rear swingarm up higher as well as the main pivot, and that adds tortional stability.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by PR0PHET
    Well then what would be the point of a "what bike" section. Based on your findings there shouldn't be this section what-so-ever. I started a thread based on what I thought best suited my needs for the application and that was it. It actually would of been nice if you continued this thread through spreading information on the Titus bike or whatever else you feel deserved a spotlight. Why you gentlemen think this was a start of a "my bike is better than yours" war is beyond me and many readers i'm sure.

I truly believe that we should all just move past this and spread good information rather than spam.
    Prophet... you're just soooo missing the point. What I think sucks is your attitude. Sorry, but I do. You're stating as a fact your conclusions. I (and I think most of the other posters) don't think there is a 'best' or 'ideal' bike, fork, brakes, whatever. You were right on that sometimes we get loyal to a brand. I'm partial to Titus, Turner, Specialized, and in a less degree to Santa Cruz, but I'm open for other brands. Because I love the way my Moto Lite rides, I just put it as an option, and try to be OBJECTIVE as possible. But you're just saying that because you decided that single pivots were the best because dirtbikes use them is silly (I have no idea if ALL dirtbikes are single pivots, or if there are several linkeage varieties).

I'm sure there would be like 10 bikes that you would love if you would have tried them, but you love your bike, that's awesome. It's tons of a way lot better than if you said, I spend this much amount of my hard earned money and this thing sucks! But you're just way off preaching on how your decision is without any slight amount of doubts the best bike. You weren't any bit objective in your observations, as you later said you wanted to have information.

ride hard take risks
    I think Prophet spoke his mind at the wrong time. Since the AM bike thread was created & it was merged in he has been pulverized even worse. Possibly he was hoping to get new bike buyers see his light by starting this foolish thread in the What bike to buy. He seems to be happy, has'nt come back since.

mtbr member

Wink

So the general consensus is the Cracknfail isn't as good as my Nomad?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Personally I liked the Prophet MX much better than the Nomad I test rode...just my opinion.

Tom

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au
    So the general consensus is the Cracknfail isn't as good as my Nomad?
    I like to add the flail in there, cracknflail.

suspension whore
    LOL tears rolling down my face
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

Mammoth MTN downhilling - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_m_pb0Ns0

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Ok you guys talked me into it.... I'm buying a 05 Prophet 800!!! Thanks for all the help!

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by smear3
    Ok you guys talked me into it.... I'm buying a 05 Prophet 800!!! Thanks for all the help!
    Beffor you buy you might want to check out the color thread, it's very very important!

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Beffor you buy you might want to check out the color thread, it's very very important!

I'm gonna have to strongly go with dognfr on this...It's worth to read.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    People, people. This marketing blow is straight outta Compton (well C'dale). Please tell me how to get a job at a bike company

Seriously, if you don't work at C'dale, you should be offered a job!

The 575 is THE BEST all mtn bike bar none, and I am waiting for my stickers to prove it...
    Eh, forget the stickers. You need this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I would love it but it has gone over the price I had in mind.

mtbr member

Oh, that's nice bike!

Where do you get one?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Link?

BTW: By the time I posted that I already bought it. I'll still check out the thread though.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4