mtbr member
    Jul 2009

*** Update: Bike Purchased. All Mountain bike for short/light person (5'6" 145lb)

So here's the deal: I've been riding a custom build Giant XTC 17" hardtail for way too long, and i want to upgrade to a full suspension.

I do mostly XC riding (i.e. lots of climbing and fast descents). However, when i'm ripping downhill, my hard tail is all over the place and i want something more stable.

I'm a huge fan of light-weight bikes, but i realize i'm going to have to sacrifice a little to get some travel in the rear. Over time, i built my hardtail to weigh in just over 22lbs.

My current set-up:
    Giant XTC Frame 17"
    Manitou Fork (80mm travel)
    Sram 2x10 set-up
    Spinergy Spox 26" Wheels

I don't need my fully to be super light weight, but i think given the weight of myself (145lbs) it's an absolute must to keep it under 30lbs.

The terrain i'm riding isn't super rutty, but i love drops and riding my bike hard.. until it eventually kicks and rides me :/ (the joys of riding hardtail).

I really don't know how much travel i need. I'm going to do a drop-seatpost so i can be more aggressive on the dh, but other than that i'm lost. I know i should go demo a few bikes, but quite frankly i don't have the time, and San Francisco sucks for this reason.

Any help/suggestions/questions are welcomed... Thank you!

** EDIT: I should also add i'm really only looking to spend <$2,000 on one.. and i have some patience to look/shop for a used bike to get more for my money. Also i'm not getting any bigger at my age... maybe just ~5lbs over the next 5/10 years.
    Last edited by 831loc; 05-13-2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Added Information

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't really have any specific suggestions for you as I'm not quite sure what you like to ride but I will say this: Don't get too hung up on the weight of your bike/components. I am the exact same size you are and ride a 31lb trail bike. Every bike I have owned has gotten heavier than the last: 22lb hardtail, 25lb xc full-susp, and now my current 31lb rig. I ride way faster on the 31lb bike than I ever could of dreamed of riding on the others.

I buy burly parts as I want the bike to be able to be ridden hard w/o much worry of something failing on me.

For your first FS bike, I would look into something that has around 120mm suspension front and back, top tube around 23", and a headangle around 67-68*

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I ride a lot of tight, technical single-track with a lot of climbing. I start/stop in the same place, so equal amounts of up & downs.

The most "abusive" riding is large rocky descents with small(er) drops (4-5ft.). I want to be able to plow through a lot of this, and i want a bike to handle it without going overboard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So you want around 5 inches (or more) of travel and light. Hope you are ready to pony up. Light weight bikes cost. I think my hardtail is around 30 and my FS is a little more (even after I took of front derailer, shifter and big and small chain ring).

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sounds like a heckler will fit your needs in many categories

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    So you want around 5 inches (or more) of travel and light. Hope you are ready to pony up. Light weight bikes cost. I think my hardtail is around 30 and my FS is a little more (even after I took of front derailer, shifter and big and small chain ring).
    I think given my personal weight, I can in turn save a few lbs in weight on the bike (I.e. no need for a burley wheel-set). I'm still looking to spend less than $2k, and I'd actually rather prefer to buy used so I can get more for my money. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you can swap over everything besides fork, frame and post you'll be in much better shape to meet that light bike wish.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I thought about doing this but I'd rather keep my hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So... Ended up with this beauty. I'm going to swap out the stem with a 80mm, but everything else should be good to go. Got it for a steal!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All Mountain bike for short/light person (5'6&quot; 145lb)-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nice Man, don't be afraid to go shorter on the stem either 60-70mm. I run a 45mm