Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

All mountain awesome bike to replace Enduro

I own a 2011 specialized enduro that's built up to about 34 pounds. Its the best bike I've ever ridden in the AM category for when the trail points down. However, it is a pig uphill. I've always owned a secondary bike like a TransAM 26" hardtail or a 29er hardtail for less technical rides but I'm looking for a bike that can replace my enduro and be a better pedaling bike but still have that super solid feel downhill.

Is it possible or am I asking for too much? I rode the trek Remedy and Giant Reign but was genuinely unimpressed with their stability downhill. I love the slack geo going down but not up. I have a Talas 36 on my enduro. I want a bike that can hammer through the rough. The reign and remedy felt like a wet noodle compared to the enduro. What to do?
    Last edited by ihaveagibsonsg; 05-14-2013 at 11:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You have a 29 lbs enduro and find it a pig uphill??
    Dude, mine is 30 lbs and thought I was quite pleased with the uphill pedaling capabilities, damn. I would have to agree on the downhill abilities of the bike, it's damn tough!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have a 5 spot with a Lyric 160 DH which is nice. Not too slack I know its 29 or so but way stiff laterally! The 650B Turner Burner w the new Pike or 34 to get the 160 but in a lighter and slightly less stout package could be a good setup, its low slung. The DW is the best hammerhead pedaller I've tried, stand up and hammer and it all takes you forward, it might feel not as plush but rear shock setup is key, I'm running a Mon Plus Pushed and currently running the HV can w spacers prob going up to for sram spacers for midstroke and a better match to my fork.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    There are a couple threads that compare the Chilcotin and Enduro:
    Chilcotin compared to Enduro
    Knolly Chilcotin or Specialized S-Works Enduro?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Go european brands...
    Light, and they do pedal uphill...

mtbr member

Re: All mountain awesome bike to replace Enduro

Damn.com I have the same 2011 Enduro comp.com it weighs in at 33 pounds and I'm pretty happy about the weight. How did you get yours to 29? That would be awesome!

Weapon of Choice
    Mojo Hd goes uphill fast and shreds downhill

Super Unknown

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    You have a trans am, so how about the new covert?

mtbr member
    I was being way to conservative on the weight. It's actually closer to about 34 pounds the way its setup right now.

Quote Originally Posted by dejock View Post
    You have a trans am, so how about the new covert?

Ha, I literally just dropped my TransAm off at UPS to go to a new home. I'm looking at replacing it with the Diamondback Mason. I get a corporate discount that brings the complete bike to only $1500(normally $2200)! I was also thinking about replacing my enduro with the mission pro which I can get for $2900(normally $5500).

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveagibsonsg View Post
    I'm looking at replacing it with the Diamondback Mason. I get a corporate discount that brings the complete bike to only $1500(normally $2200)! I was also thinking about replacing my enduro with the mission pro which I can get for $2900(normally $5500).
    Assuming your discount is the same as mine, the Mason frames are in stock...damn good deal considering the seatpost alone is 3 bills! I looked at the mission and the sortie before I ended up on my bandit, the mission is a nice ride for sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dejock View Post
    Assuming your discount is the same as mine, the Mason frames are in stock...damn good deal considering the seatpost alone is 3 bills! I looked at the mission and the sortie before I ended up on my bandit, the mission is a nice ride for sure.
    Yeah same discount. The mason complete for 1500 is a killer deal. It's out of stock at the moment but I'm going to wait for it. They have frames with the dropper post for 480 but the complete build is basically how I would build it anyway so I'm going to wait.

eBiker
    Run the small volume reducer in the Fox RP2, it firms up the midstroke so it does not sag deep on steep climbs.

$25, 15 minute job, makes the bike more poppy as well and still slays the downs. Bottoming out is like landing on a couch.

You'll have to reset your pressure lower and fiddle with rebound. You will also loose a bit of "plush" on rough descents - but I was glad to give that up to get rid of the wallow.

P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Run the small volume reducer in the Fox RP2, it firms up the midstroke so it does not sag deep on steep climbs.

$25, 15 minute job, makes the bike more poppy as well and still slays the downs. Bottoming out is like landing on a couch.

You'll have to reset your pressure lower and fiddle with rebound. You will also loose a bit of "plush" on rough descents - but I was glad to give that up to get rid of the wallow.

P
    I'll try this out first. I love the bike, its just a bear on the long socal fireroads. I originally owned and enduro and sold it because it was a poor climber and bought most of the AM frames out there before I ended back up on an Enduro due to his downhill amazingness. I'm sure if I sell it again I'll regret it.

mtbr member
    I don't think you're going to find a bike that's as planted going downhill and also climbs better uphill. If you go for something with a bit steeper head tube angle, you'll get better climbing but it's going to feel a bit more nervous on the descents. I REALLY like my Blur LT for climbing, but I know I sacrifice a little bit on the downhills, and that's by choice! I've ridden the slacker, longer travel bikes and they're just more work to get up the hill.

What kind of riding do you do the most?
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    If you are really concerned about climbing, have you tried the Scott Genius LT? The only downside is the proprietary rear shock. That said, it climbs well and descends well. You dont see many for sale in the used market so I assume they are well liked.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you're in the market for a spitfire with a dual position pike.

mtbr member
    What are you parts list? The enduro is a great frame, want to know if getting it lighter would help out. My HD is pretty weighted down and its 31.5, but it climbs well and decends better than one of my friends chilli. That is a nice frame, but its not the climber the HD is and his bike is a touch lighter but the frame is heavier. Although mine is really shock setup well which is why it decends so good.

eBiker
    I'll try this out first. I love the bike, its just a bear on the long socal fireroads. I originally owned and enduro and sold it because it was a poor climber and bought most of the AM frames out there before I ended back up on an Enduro due to his downhill amazingness. I'm sure if I sell it again I'll regret it.
    Also get a fast rolling tire on the back, that helps on long fire road climbs and flats:
    - Contintental Trail King
    - WTB Wolverine
    - Michelin Grip R2
    - Hans Dampf PaceStar
    all tested fast in the German Bike magazine tests

I have my large Enduro at 31# with decent aluminum bits, no exotica. But weight is not really the issue with the climbing.

P

mtbr member
    Damn, mine is 33 pounds even and I don't really find it all that hard to climb with.
    I have also never had a bike that was lighter, so I guess I am used to it.

In the end, it will only make you stronger to have to push it up.

Mr P, what is you set up to get you to 31#? Is it a former stock comp? what did you change out?

thanks,

Jeff

Team Chilidog!
    I own a 2011 specialized enduro that's built up to about 34 pounds. Its the best bike I've ever ridden in the AM category for when the trail points down. However, it is a pig uphill. I've always owned a secondary bike like a TransAM 26" hardtail or a 29er hardtail for less technical rides but I'm looking for a bike that can replace my enduro and be a better pedaling bike but still have that super solid feel downhill.

Is it possible or am I asking for too much? I rode the trek Remedy and Giant Reign but was genuinely unimpressed with their stability downhill. I love the slack geo going down but not up. I have a Talas 36 on my enduro. I want a bike that can hammer through the rough. The reign
    and remedy felt like a wet noodle compared to the enduro. What to do?
    Kinda going through a bit of what you are now with a different bike. What provides the wonderful feeling downhill (low BB and slack HA) prolly doesn't help with the climbing. I don't live for the climbs but that's all we have here. From a friend of mine: "Welcome to California, now go climb your bike."

Your bike has at least 160mm of travel in the rear. It's not going to be a billy goat uphill. Neither is mine. However, you can look at your body position.

My handlebars were above my saddle (now that they're even) and that was killing me on the climbs.

The lower you can make your bars, the better it will climb, even with a slower rolling tire in the back. I'm amazed at what I can climb now, even in a 1x10. I might try to lower the bars another 5mm and see if it doesn't feel too squirrelly on the DH.

My tires are a Butcher SX 2.3 front Butcher Control 2.3 in the rear (because they're awesome downhill, but not the best climbers), but I might go back to the Ardent 2.2 in the rear for the same reasons you need, the long fireroad climbs. However, I'm going to see if moving to smaller chainring feels, but that's not your problem

But yeah, look at your body position first. It's amazing what a few millimeters will do if you're too high up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Also get a fast rolling tire on the back, that helps on long fire road climbs and flats:
    - Contintental Trail King
    - WTB Wolverine
    - Michelin Grip R2
    - Hans Dampf PaceStar
    all tested fast in the German Bike magazine tests

I have my large Enduro at 31# with decent aluminum bits, no exotica. But weight is not really the issue with the climbing.

P
    Absolutely. Tires do make a huge difference.

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    But yeah, look at your body position first. It's amazing what a few millimeters will do if you're too high up.
    Great point on body position.

The Enduro comes with a layback seatpost.

I'm 5"11 and with the large Enduro am able to run a straight post. The benefit is a steeper effective seat tube angle for climbs. And less hanging off the back climbing. The further you are back on the climb the more leverage on the rear suspension to sag into travel which upsets climbing geometry.

I've since been able to make most steeps that riders on XC bikes can. And I even have a 50mm stem pretty much slammed to the head tube.

You can try this by just pushing the seat up on the rails.

Moving the seat up + the shock volume adjustment + fast rear tire will be as far as you can go with this generation Enduro, after that your looking at other frames (but it is said the new Enduro climbs better) - but at least you'll know.

P

Stand back
    I didn't have any big complaints w/ my '12 enduro with the stock shock, and it's even better with the Pushed Monarch +. But then mine weighs <30lbs with the big tires, and I'm running 1x10, so I can't grind out climbs in the granny gear. Maybe that's your problem - you're going too slow.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    I have a 2011 S-works and its at 27.5lbs with pedals(Mallets DH)....It climbs great and descents even better....only thing I would want to change is the rear shock. The fork although is a specialized creation does a really good job and is super light as well, using the carbon crown makes a big difference.

mtbr member
    I added 20 PSI air to the rear shock. Climbs 100X better. I was running 35-40% sag and now I'm closer to 25-30%. I'm going to try the volume reducer mod to the rear shock. It's not as plush now, but its worth it to not suffer going up. It was definitely sitting too far into the shock during climbs. I'll just let some air out if its going to be a long ride down. I just love how solid this bike is in the rough. Even running that low of sag, I only bottom it out on 6ft+ drops. I've never even bottomed out the Fox 36 Talas fork at 35 PSI. I rode my friends new fuel ex 7 and the thing was noodle compared to the enduro, I could never go back to a bike that doesn't descend like an enduro.

I already run a wolverine in the rear which I love. Fast rolling, locks up great and has a wide casing. I run a nevegal in the front, it's my favorite front tire and doesn't cost a million bucks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast