Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: All mountain?

  1. #1
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,529

    All mountain?

    I'm bored so here goes: I've been on this site for 13 years and I have almost never visited this forum because I have no idea what all mountain is. How does it differ from my typical rides on my 29er S-Works Stumpjumper FSR? The majority of my rides are on mountains. Do they "all" have to be on mountains?


  2. #2
    #AINTNOBODYGOTTIMEFERDAT
    Reputation: JoeBMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    404


    People who ride AM bikes are obsessed with how they did on Strava for the DH, but don't want to pedal a DH bike.

    People who ride XC bikes are obsessed with how they did on Strava for the climbing, but don't want to pedal a road bike.

    Both want to be on the dirt and in the forest shredding in whatever they find fun. Some (me now) like to use the other to get better at the one they find more fun, er, post the better Strava times to.
    YouTube | #1 Rule for California mtb: If you're having fun, it's illegal.

  3. #3
    Dropshot Champ!
    Reputation: redmr2_man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,542
    for more all mountainy-goodness, you should stretch that elevation map to make that 2000ft climb at the end to look even bigger.


  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    175
    Your ride does not consist of enough mountain to be all-mountain. Try again.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    349
    No mountains in Florida shove your Strava in your @ss. Angry flat lander.
    Your big wheels are so awesome!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Salespunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,791
    JoeBMX summed it up best. I don't mind climbing, but it is not the primary goal of the ride. I want to crush the descents.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,885
    real wolves don't strava.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

  8. #8
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,173
    Wherewolf,
    I've been following your ride posts for years (mostly when I lived in Tahoe), and have met you at the Mexican place in Auburn.

    There is nothing on the AM forum that will be of any value to you.

    I mean that as a compliment. You don't need this.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

  9. #9
    eBiker
    Reputation: Mr.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,097
    All Mountain riders have bigger dongs.

    P

  10. #10
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,088
    I'd call the ride above "Mostly Mountain." See if they will start a new subforum for you.

  11. #11
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    I'd call the ride above "Mostly Mountain." See if they will start a new subforum for you.
    Considering the OP is about to pull the plug on a typical working mans retirement age, "mostly all" of his rides are rather impressive. I imagine "most" of you young hucksters don't put that much time in the saddle on your rides. Just say'n.....
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  12. #12
    VII
    VII is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: VII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    61
    All Mountain = you love techie DH and you enjoy pedaling up there unassisted. You love all parts of riding the mountain, and take pride clearing obstacles without a dab. The All Mountain rider gets a special rush riding gnarl fast and hard, even though he or she knows a painful crash is inevitable sooner or later. All mountain riders always carry trail tattoos on their bodies, whether it be scrapes, bruises, sprains, cracked ribs, poison oak rashes, nettle stings, tick reactions, and, of course, crushed pinkies from clipping trees while poaching impossibly narrow trails at speed.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smithcreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian VII View Post
    All Mountain = you love techie DH and you enjoy pedaling up there unassisted. You love all parts of riding the mountain, and take pride clearing obstacles without a dab. The All Mountain rider gets a special rush riding gnarl fast and hard, even though he or she knows a painful crash is inevitable sooner or later. All mountain riders always carry trail tattoos on their bodies, whether it be scrapes, bruises, sprains, cracked ribs, poison oak rashes, nettle stings, tick reactions, and, of course, crushed pinkies from clipping trees while poaching impossibly narrow trails at speed.
    If you were trying to be funny you forgot "and they drink Red Bull". If you weren't, ...

  14. #14
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,088
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Considering the OP is about to pull the plug on a typical working mans retirement age, "mostly all" of his rides are rather impressive. I imagine "most" of you young hucksters don't put that much time in the saddle on your rides. Just say'n.....
    at his age, "pull the plug" references are completely inappropriate. you should apologize.

    might want to get some new batteries for your irony meter.


  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: masterofnone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,126
    Red bull makes me want to throw up...

  16. #16
    usually cranky
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,958
    i think only professionals are allowed to ride all mountain.

  17. #17
    HTFU!
    Reputation: S.O.B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBMX View Post
    People who ride XC bikes are obsessed with how they did on Strava for the climbing, but don't want to pedal a road bike.
    That just nailed me...I ride a road bike (sometimes) but kinda suck at it in comparison to my mtb. I do like flying down hills and going over technical terrain though, so maybe I am a XC/AM Rigid SS'er...does this mean I should be riding 650B's?

  18. #18
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    at his age, "pull the plug" references are completely inappropriate. you should apologize.

    might want to get some new batteries for your irony meter.

    The shame. My bad. No pun intended. I'm getting to that age myself.....
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jtnord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    521
    Anyone pick up on the join date of Jan 2004 but hes been here for "13 years"? Trolls inside of trolls?
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

  20. #20
    orthonormal
    Reputation: andy f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,044
    Quote Originally Posted by jtnord View Post
    Anyone pick up on the join date of Jan 2004 but hes been here for "13 years"? Trolls inside of trolls?
    Jan 2004 is when mtbr.com first started using vBulletin. Users with accounts on the old system had to re-register.

    I first started reading/posting on mtbr.com in 1996.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jtnord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    Jan 2004 is when mtbr.com first started using vBulletin. Users with accounts on the old system had to re-register.

    I first started reading/posting on mtbr.com in 1996.
    I didnt know that, thanks for explanation!
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    608
    This. Wherewolf, you do not need anyone's approval. The rides you do speak for themselves, and very few put in the miles, or could clean 6,500 in one, regardless of age. If that is not All Mountain, then most everyone else must be doing "Baby Mountain" rides. Hey, maybe we need a new sub forum for those that only ride kid-size rides?

    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Wherewolf,
    I've been following your ride posts for years (mostly when I lived in Tahoe), and have met you at the Mexican place in Auburn.

    There is nothing on the AM forum that will be of any value to you.

    I mean that as a compliment. You don't need this.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    608
    This. Wherewolf, you do not need anyone's approval. The rides you do speak for themselves, and very few put in the miles, or could clean 6,500 foot gain in one day ride, regardless of age. If that is not All Mountain, then most everyone else must be doing "Baby Mountain" rides. Hey, maybe we need a new sub forum for those that only ride kid-size rides?

    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Wherewolf,
    I've been following your ride posts for years (mostly when I lived in Tahoe), and have met you at the Mexican place in Auburn.

    There is nothing on the AM forum that will be of any value to you.

    I mean that as a compliment. You don't need this.

  24. #24
    Airborne Flight Crew
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,997

    It's cool...

    It's not what you ride.

    It's not where you ride.

    It's HOW you ride... all 'bout the attitude...

    Airborne Flight Crew

    Jerry Hazard website

  25. #25
    inexperienced at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,802

    Re: All mountain?

    I ride 3,000 feet of elevation across 15 miles and that's my ride. Been thinking I'm over my AM bike.

    Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 05-11-2013, 06:27 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2012, 04:15 PM
  3. Mountain Goat F-K-R in Mountain Bike Action mag
    By First Flight in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-09-2011, 10:05 AM
  4. Continental Mountain King Mountain Bike Tire
    By dciandrew in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2011, 09:21 AM
  5. Mountain Bike Trails Closed Friday the 25th at Pinnacle Mountain
    By ArkansasOutside in forum Midsouth - LA, MS, AR
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-21-2011, 09:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •