Any given singletrack!

Air vs. coil again

I just realized something. All of you who use air shox on your AM bikes, use weight as an exuse over coil, and sometimes lockout.

Well, according to Fox web, here are the weights:
    Vanilla - 175g
    Float R - 200g
    Float RP3 - 195g
    Hmmm, air is heavier, how can this be...? Let's continue.
    DHX 5.0 coil - 400g
    DHX 5.0 air - 450g
    Again, air is heavier, so why would somebody prefer air when it's less plusher, heavier, you must buy air pump to get it tuned, spend God-knows-how-much time playing with pressure, and air shocks ask for more regular maintenance then coil? DHX air even has no lockout, so what's the deal with air shocks?

Also, 36float is 2370g, and 36van is 2470grams. Are those 100grams SOOO important when your avarage AM bike is around 15kg?

I simply don't understand it. Anybody share my opinion?

mtbr member
    No, not really.

Air shocks are way more adjustable-one size fits all. for coil shocks you have to change different springs around, wich is way more expensive than an air pump. The one advantage to a coil shock (for me) is it never can leak air.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Take a closer look... the weight of the coil shocks that have been posted is for the damper only and does NOT include the coil spring.

Any given singletrack!
    Quote Originally Posted by Digga
    Take a closer look... the weight of the coil shocks that have been posted is for the damper only and does NOT include the coil spring.
    Ooops! Didn't see that. Well, man sees what he wants to see

TNC
    noMAD man
    As Digga pointed out, the coil spring makes a ton of difference...OK, not a ton, but about a pound generally. I would agree that Fox coil forks are decently light compared to their air counterparts. I went with a Van 36 because of the minimal amount of extra weight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

What???

I recently put a fox RP23 on my o4' turner 5 spot. I swapped out the romic coil which I must say is heavier than hell. The new RP23 is sweet and responsive as all get out. CLimbing is much better and easier and I don't notice any less plushness from the air. Air is way better and waaaaaay more responsive and with the pro pedal adjustment on the RP23, who the hell needs coil anymore.

Natural body armor
    I think tunability is the key and weight comes as a nice byproduct of air-shock technology.

The point about reliablity is pretty important to me. It's true a coil shock can never leak air. As a matter of fact I had this prob with my Float R, that got stuck down... not nice in the middle of an epic ride. Yes, they are getting better, more reliable, but still it's not a real coil.

Coils are widespread with FR setups, while most AM use air: this is a significant difference. Why FR always use coils? why pass on the tunability and weight saving, as long as they come for free?.. I guess there is some other trade off....
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

silly person
    Dec 2005
    The reason I've never been tempted by coils is because:

-On my current AM rig the fox RP3 is pretty damn plush.
    -It's very adjustable (this one's the big one)

I am somewhat interested in a coil fork though as the Talas seems a bit spikey/sticky. It may improve with use though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

DHX AIR shits

i think to AM use FOX talas 36 is better than VANS cause it can be ajust the travel , i have a nomad with DHX air i'm not happy with its performance and afraid about thats stuck down issues , i think 1 pound more you gain using DHX coil is pretty worthy in AM field.