Pros and cons and what you prefer? thanks, Patrick

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    lol, uh oh.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by h2ored View Post
    lol, uh oh.
    Its really annoying getting your hopes up because it looks like you've got a good answer and some idiot has just given you false hopes...

I like bikes

mtbr member
    Another what are the pros and cons thread from you. Go demo some different bikes and experience them yourself!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    this question has been asked a million times, so if you used the search, you'd have lots of opinions to read through.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Seriously, most people just don't want to answer for a 98th time.

In the time I would spend explaining my take on it, you could use the search function, or google, and come up with enough discussion to keep you occupied for hours.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    For me, rear air shocks are quicker to tune, and they offer quick adjustment "platform" settings. The "platform" settings were a huge benefit for my single pivot rear suspension bike. See quick review below...

Benefits of my new RockShox RT3:
    *Awesome 3-way quick platform settings
    *No more wasted energy on pedal bob.
    *Super easy to set sag because of markings laser etched on it.
    *Good price.

Cons: Spring shock is probably better for a dedicated downhill bike (I don't do any DH).

Recommendation:
    I upgraded my rear shock to a RockShox Monarch RT3. For a single pivot bike like my Airborne Zeppelin Elite, I mostly use the middle platform setting. I pop it into the stiff setting for long climbs and for high speed XC fire road runs. I don't do any downhill runs, so I probably won't use the wide open setting much.

I ran my previous spring shock on the stiff side to minimize pedal bob. This did however make the back end bounce over bumpy sections so sometimes my bumpy turns got sloppy.

The new RT3 is outstanding! No more pedal bob, well composed on the bumpy stuff, and I don't waste so much energy on hills.

This is by far the best upgrade that I have done to my single pivot bike by far.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GQOSE View Post
    Another what are the pros and cons thread from you. Go demo some different bikes and experience them yourself!
    1. I only have one other pros and cons thread. 2. I live in north easten Australia where the closest lbs is 400miles away 3. where moving in 2 months to the city where im looking at buying a mtb.

Let the good times roll.
    So you're planning to buy a MTB in 2 months? Will this be your first MTB?

You need to give us more info if you want real help. Suspension is not as simple as air vs coil. Both can perform equally well if set up properly. Its better IMO to decide first what frame you want, then research which shock will give you the best performance for your specific application.

To answer your original question in very general terms, air is easier to adjust for sag. Just need a shock pump instead of trying a bunch of different springs. But it's usually easier to set up a coil shock to feel plush because there's less internal friction to deal with.

mtbr member
    I prefer no shocks. lol. Just kidding. I have an 8 inch XC bike

With a CCDBA.
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh View Post
    So you're planning to buy a MTB in 2 months? Will this be your first MTB?

You need to give us more info if you want real help. Suspension is not as simple as air vs coil. Both can perform equally well if set up properly. Its better IMO to decide first what frame you want, then research which shock will give you the best performance for your specific application.

To answer your original question in very general terms, air is easier to adjust for sag. Just need a shock pump instead of trying a bunch of different springs. But it's usually easier to set up a coil shock to feel plush because there's less internal friction to deal with.
    no, this is not my first mtb ive only been up north for 4 months....
    im looking at getting my first full suspension frame
    thanks for the answer