mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Advise, Big guy bike decisions.

Hey all! Looking at building up a trail/am machine and wondering what will be best. Narrowed it down to Yeti SB-66, Pivot Mach 5.7c and Ibis Mojo HD. I already have a FR/DH bike so will not need to cover that area but it will be my only other bike to handle all else, xc/trail/am. The Mojo is the only bike that i will be able to demo but from research i have not found a clear winner. I am around 230 lbs and dont plan on being less than 200 ever. I have been wondering if a 15mm through axle will be stiff enough for my size. I would like a 20mm but that would rule out the Pivot and with the Yeti it would slack out the head angle too much for my liking for climbing. Any thoughts on any of the bikes from big guys or anyone else would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm also 200+ lbs (215 as I am writing, varies by season) and I am building a new AM rig. I just ordered the mojo HD for a couple reasons. One was that I was able to demo it. I was considering Pivot as well (FB and the Mach 5.7) but couldn't find one to ride nearby. I am starting with the HD 140. I like the flexibility of the frame. I will build it a little lighter to start but I plan to buy a second rear shock and a longer travel fork for park use.

I wouldn't rule out the other two just because of the fork options. Others can probably explain the tech side of this better but I know I have read about people buying forks like a Fox Float 36 and reducing the travel to 150 or 140mm with shims? This way you can keep the proper geometry and have the 20mm axle.

If you did that on a HD 140 you could then use the same fork if you ever decided to switch it to the 160mm rear travel.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden either the Yeti or the Pivot. However, I loved the Ibis. Absolutely fantastic ride. I would definitely recommend it, FWIW.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The Ibis does seem great. I think what will boil down to is the 15mm or 20mm. I actually leaned alot more towards the Mojo and SB 66 and now that i can run a spacer in the fork to lower the travel a bit, that is another point for the SB. From what i have gathered these may the best pedaling bikes which is what i am after. Any other help or suggestions would be awesome. Thanks!

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by charmon2 View Post
    I have read about people buying forks like a Fox Float 36 and reducing the travel to 150 or 140mm with shims? This way you can keep the proper geometry and have the 20mm axle.
    It is very easy to reduce travel in Fox Floats (either 32 or 36) with little plastic spacers, which I've done with my older 36 on my TransAm. If you're comfortable changing the oil in your lowers (which MUST be done at least twice a year, more if you ride a lot) then you have the mechanical ability to add the spacers.

However, you can NOT do this with TALAS or Vanilla Fox forks, only the floats.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com