mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Advice with a rejuvenation

So I've had this Trek VRX200 since '99/'00. I got it new back then and rode it a lot when I was younger. It then sat around in storage for a while. A few years ago I started riding a lot again, and I new there was some issues; then winter hit and I lost the bug. Now this summer and fall I've been riding more again, and the problems are getting obvious again. I've taken very good care of the bike, so the frame is still in great condition.

I'd like to completely start over over with this frame from the ground up. Any thoughts/opinions on this?
    I recently put the phenom seat on and changed out the stem to a shorter one to make the ride a little more comfortable. I also have shimano spd pedals and shoes, but took them off for now, while I get back into riding.

I'm planning to upgrade everything except for the cane creek ad-5. It leaks, but I'm going to change out the o-rings over the winter.

A large issue I've found is that I want to upgrade to disk brakes from the v brakes. I'm planning to get new wheels/tires, and a new fork, but that just leaves the issue of the rear swingarm/mount.

I think I need an adapter, but I'm not sure which one. There are a few threads on these bikes here, but they're old, and I don't know what the current options are. The picture below shows what I have to work with for the mount.

That's my biggest question/obstacle at this point. I'm also looking for thoughts and opinions on what I'm venturing to do here as well.
    Eventually(a few years maybe)I might replace this with either a specialized enduro or trek fuel. But this bike has sentimental value to me(parents bought it for me), So it'd be nice to get it riding well again.

mtbr member
    To be brutally honest, i would not upgrade this bike. I would replace wear parts such as drivetrain/tires and ride it as-is. Save your money for another bike when the time is right and keep this one for the nostalgia factor.

Disc brakes on quick release wheels are a horrible combination for safety reasons. I dont think a disc adapter would work on the back swingarm of this bike, but i am not sure on that. The suspension performance of a new bike will blow this thing out of the water.

Anyways, just my two cents. Have fun
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    To be brutally honest, i would not upgrade this bike. I would replace wear parts such as drivetrain/tires and ride it as-is. Save your money for another bike when the time is right and keep this one for the nostalgia factor.

Disc brakes on quick release wheels are a horrible combination for safety reasons. I dont think a disc adapter would work on the back swingarm of this bike, but i am not sure on that. The suspension performance of a new bike will blow this thing out of the water.

Anyways, just my two cents. Have fun
    +1. All true.
    Some cheap upgrades will make the bike a lot nicer and competent without too much investment:
    Koolstop brake pads
    Platform pedals
    Wider handlebars
    Modern tires (this may not be cheap)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    There is an adapter, but it will be impossible to find: Woodman VRX Adapter: Vintage Hayes 22mm Disc Brake to IS - RARE! - Bike Recyclery

Your bike is in great shape... Because you hardly rode it!

Just fix what needs fixing and get out on those trails. I wouldn't even bother with the brakes if they are working well... From those pristine rim walls, I'd bet they are.

mtbr member
    Yeah, fix what you can as inexpensively as you can. Any money spent on upgrading this would be a waste.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    https://m.ebay.com/itm/New-A2Z-AD-PM...wAAOSw0fhXk~Ja

This is the adapter you need, I believe.

mtbr member
    Venturing into dangerous territory - but have you ridden a newer bike? I was putting tons of $$ into my 2000 Cannondale Raven because I really liked the bike, but then I wound up riding a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR circa 2009 because the C-Dale was waiting for parts (again). The difference in bikes was night and day, all of the deficiencies of a 10 year old suspension design came starkly into focus.

The advice you're getting to only fix what you need to to keep your current bike rideable while saving for a new bike (or new to you slightly used bike) is good advice. It might not be want you want to hear, but it is by far the most practical option. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks everyone, nope this is the advice I did want to hear. I was asking before I bagan this project, because I absolutely questioned it. If everyone said it would be worth it, I would have went forward. The fact that it's a unanimous "don't do it", is a good thing and will save me from wasting my time and money.

I didn't realize that new bikes don't have the quick disconnect wheels either. Good to know.

I may throw a new chain on this, clean up the rest of the drive train, attempt to fix the rear shock and leave the rest be. Next year I may consider a fuel or Enduro.

What seems annoying though is the bikes are like computers....as soon as you buy one, it's old and there are advancements in the technology.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Don't listen to these guys. DVO Emerald on the front, Sram Eagle drivetrain. Life is short! YOLO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    ^it would seem smarter to upgrade the bike, then upgrade the new bike with those parts....

> /dev/null 2&>1
    And the Enve rims

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Before buying a bunch of upgrades for your bike, which has served you well, I'd suggest demoing a few of the new modern bikes to see if your money for an upgrade would be better off used to upgrade to a new bike.