mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Advice needed - all mtn 27.5 trail bike. Climb descend.

Currently own Trek 6500, rockhopper pro - 26 hardtails.

tried anthem med 29er = to big.
    and trance med 29er same.
    I am 51 yrs old, 5'-8", 190lb and have spending limit ~$3k. used, new or I can build bike. I dont need to own this yrs stuff.
    I want the bike to be approx 25lb, cos' I race smooth road course with v.rough backroads, non technical, but steep long inclines twice a year. 30k and 50k long. I ride mostly technical single track with some steep rocky and rooty inclines, hard to clear due to skill level and traction. I like to go fast in downhill sections (relatively ! lol). I would not class myself any where near an expert rider.

I dont care for styling of the FS Ellesworth or Trek/Giant bikes or for lefty shocks.
    The intense Carbine is the "style" I like, wow! sweet ride, but Intense is a bit pricey at circa 4K.

I want a plush FS bike with easy lockouts that will climb and descend better than my current hardtails. I want it to be approx 25lbs if possible or less AND durable, I want it to have 5inches travel so not really an xc machine. Components are not important, I have xt and xtr stuff ready if needed.

Alu or carbon dont care.

Best 3 climbing 27.5 All mtn bikes ??? I need a short list.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How were those medium bikes too big - too long TT, or ?
    Did you try a TranceX 29er Small?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You want a 5" travel, 25 pound or less, durable bike for less than $3k........probably not going to happen.

Always in the wrong gear
    The Santa Cruz Bantam might fit your spec, well most of them. Its a single pivot FS bike at 125mm of travel and 28lbs. Check it out here Santa Cruz Bicycles Bantam
    Gary Fisher Rig SS

All my gym friends b*tch about leg day. For me, every day I ride is leg day!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Giants were really tight with respect to standover height. I have decided on 27.5". If I went with Giant it would be a Trance or Reign, reign is only 26 and both are a little pricey.

I realise 25lbs is a tough target and most probably unrealistic for FS 5" travel bike, but you gotta try and I am not that hung up on weight anyhow.

The SC Bantam is added to my list (thks) along with the Heckler and 5010.
    All 3 are approx 30lb.

mtbr member
    if you climb a lot , you gotta try a GT distortion 2012 , fantastic trail bike , that loves going dh too. Low stand over height.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by michigan33 View Post
    Giants were really tight with respect to standover height. I have decided on 27.5". If I went with Giant it would be a Trance or Reign, reign is only 26 and both are a little pricey.

I realise 25lbs is a tough target and most probably unrealistic for FS 5" travel bike, but you gotta try and I am not that hung up on weight anyhow.

The SC Bantam is added to my list (thks) along with the Heckler and 5010.
    All 3 are approx 30lb.
    According to Giant's geometry chart, the Med TranceX 29er has 26.4" standover - misprint?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I didnt look at their geometry spec. the Giants were to tall for me standover wise.
    My current trek is a 2002 6000 (not6500) 18" frame tt is 22.5' measured. The rock is a 19" frame and a little tight, just about ok -TTon rock is 22.5' measured.

thks for the GT I will research that bike it should be available locally for indoor demo.

mtbr member
    25 lbs or less, 27.5 and under $3k?... lol

if you want a great trail bike, this is one of the best.. Blur TR | Santa Cruz Bicycles
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    25 lbs or less, 27.5 and under $3k?... lol

if you want a great trail bike, this is one of the best.. Blur TR | Santa Cruz Bicycles
    Agreed Blur = one of the best, not 27.5

Heckler over the new Blur due to cost.
    3k can be used, giant reigns are freely available but they are 26. I am not sure if any Pivot Mach 4 or 5 came in 27.5 or plan to for 2014.

Tall order I know but gotta set the bar high lol.

As good as, or better climber than hardtail 26er looking for a listing of good 27.5 machines thats all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How about Rocky Altitude? See if any '13s are at clearance prices in your area?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I would look to see if you can find an Ibis Mojo SL Special Blend. Fantastic bike, light, playful and nimble. It climbs very well with the efficient dw-link suspension. It had an MSRP of ~$2700 with a mixed pats spec (roughly SLX), 140mm of travel at ~26lbs.

The downsides: the Special Blend was basically a way for Ibis to clear out old frames when they updated the bike, so you loose out on some more modern updates (like a tapered headtube and rear through-axle), but you get a steal of a deal. It's 26-only in the rear (unless you really want to run a low-volume tire). And it's discontinued. They probably stopped shipping out in August, but you might be able to find a retailer with some left in stock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If you can find a SC Blur, which can easily covert to 27.5 with no downsides( actually a better bike with 27.5 wheels) sounds like the bike that will fit just about exactly what your asking for. I ride a converted Blur XCc, and just love my bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by michigan33 View Post
    Currently own Trek 6500, rockhopper pro - 26 hardtails.

tried anthem med 29er = to big.
    and trance med 29er same.
    I am 51 yrs old, 5'-8", 190lb and have spending limit ~$3k. used, new or I can build bike. I dont need to own this yrs stuff.
    I want the bike to be approx 25lb, cos' I race smooth road course with v.rough backroads, non technical, but steep long inclines twice a year. 30k and 50k long. I ride mostly technical single track with some steep rocky and rooty inclines, hard to clear due to skill level and traction. I like to go fast in downhill sections (relatively ! lol). I would not class myself any where near an expert rider.

I dont care for styling of the FS Ellesworth or Trek/Giant bikes or for lefty shocks.
    The intense Carbine is the "style" I like, wow! sweet ride, but Intense is a bit pricey at circa 4K.

I want a plush FS bike with easy lockouts that will climb and descend better than my current hardtails. I want it to be approx 25lbs if possible or less AND durable, I want it to have 5inches travel so not really an xc machine. Components are not important, I have xt and xtr stuff ready if needed.

Alu or carbon dont care.

Best 3 climbing 27.5 All mtn bikes ??? I need a short list.
    Unfortunately you need a bigger budget for this man, sorry. It's better to save some money and get exactly what you need but later than hurry now to get a cheaper bike that won't suit your needs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Cant go wrong (except cost) with mojo, Sc blur/heckler, motolite, GT distortion or pivot, maybe Knolly maybr, just gotta figure out which is 27.5/best for me and my budget. Plus any others I may be missing.
    Altitude looks nice but there is to much going on in the frame concerning adjustments, I would never be happy with it.
    Its nothing personal, vertical rr shock mount not for me.

Not looking for 0,1,2 whizz bang pedal platforms.
    Simple lockout is good enough for the long haul flat inclines on the rr shock.
    No time to fiddle/turn those things on and off on a single track with a water bottle in the way.
    Would def. prefer frt/rr through axle design, and components do not matter.

I have carbon bars, xtr FD and 975/965 xtr brakes all waiting, just need a GREAT frame and decent wheel set with quality RD. Prefer a full bike purchase (minus brakes).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    How can you say you don't "need" this years model but require 650b? They're all fairly new.

Do you already have a set of high end 27.5 wheels? If not, check out the Yeti ASR5c. I know its a 26 inch wheel bike but it ticks every other one of your requirements. It also climbs superb but not a couch on the downs. Get an older Revelation dual air fork that can be converted with spacers from 120mm to 140mm for non race days and you will get your 25lb beast. I dumped my 150mm bike after owning this for 9 months. In feel its that good.

Then again, I haven't demos a 27.5 bike to really see what all the fuss is about. Enough riders that I respect had made too many comments that they can't tell much difference between the mid wheel and 26. Plus, I'm affraid about what might happen if I do.

I