mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New question here. Advice from experienced bike owners please

I've wanted a full suspension bike forever, but they are never in my price range and every year they get more expensive.
    The ideal bike would be the new specialized 29" stumpjumper FSR.
    At $3,000 and up, not going to happen.
    I found someone selling a 1997 26" specialized Enduro for $425.00.
    My first question is, is it worth it?
    & second would I be able to upgrade the suspension to something new?
    Please Help?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Don't pay $425 for a 16-year old bike. That bike is worth about $250 TOPS....only if in excellent shape.

My advice is get $1800 cash, together. Go to your local Giant dealer SOON(they sell out quick!!!) and test ride the Anthem 4 29er. Trust me, you'll LOVE it. Its worth every penny with that awesome warranty Giant offers. Plus, your shop may give you a free years worth of service. Give them your CASH and you now have one of the finest-riding, highly-upgradeable 29ers ever made. Your $1800 buys you the latest and greatest tech; tapered headtube, thru axle front fork 3x10 speed drivetrain, hydraulic disc brakes and 29er hill climbing ability so damn effortless - you'll think you're cheating.

When you finally get over the new-bike ownership orgasm....then start planning upgrades; lighter wheels, 2x10, carbon goodies. That bike can easily be built up to a sub-26 pound XC rocket. Giant makes one of the lightest FS alloy frames in the industry.

I've owned all brands of bikes. Specialized is 70% marketing hype and the rest is crazy markup. Giant offers MORE bang for your dollar spent. The Giant will require way less maintenance and the Specialized will suck your wallet dry, with frequent high-maintenance LBS work on their proprietary components.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Technology has improved dramatically in some key frame and component designs since 1997. Also 16 years is a long time in the "dog years" of mechanical parts, so you'll probably be sinking money into the old bike. I agree with Zach, it only hurts once to hand over the money, but it feels sooo good every time you get on that bike.

usually cranky
    i dont know about spec being all hype and crazy marked up but i do agree giant offers a better value. it seems like you are on a tight budget but i think you can do better than a 97 enduro. im thinking you could find an older superlight or heckler for pretty cheap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Really its what you can afford if you really want a bike now or you want to wait. I think if you can get that bike for 325 go for it. If you can find an older yeti they are bomb proof, Just gave my old as3 to my kid and it is 13 years old and just as good as new.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    awesome advice thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If you go to the Santa Cruz site, click on store at the bottom and then sale. You can find a Heckler frame for 550 or a Blur LT for 1500. Wait a little while and the 2013 frames will be on sale to make room for the new 2014 frames. I sold my Specialized Enduro and built up a SC Butcher....loven it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I picked up a 2007 Yeti 575 a year ago with decent parts (SRAM X9, Juicy 7s), Fox rear shock and fork rebuilt by Push Industries, and really nice custom wheels (Mavic rims with Hope Pro II front and Chris King in the back for hubs) for $1000. Been an awesome bike for me for cheap. Kills it at Downieville. Deals are out there. That Enduro is a ripoff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I had a 97 full suspension. I bought it a few years back and it was my first full suspension like yourself. it was a khs. it retailed for 1500 or somthin back in the day. the problem with that year is that it truly is the first generations of full suspension. mine didn't even have bearings for the pivots. the forks back then are also first generation rockshox. a top end rockshock didn't even have oil dampening. it was microcellular polyurethane springs. they just squished and rebound with no adjustment. then over time the polyurethane hardened and crumbled to dust. if it has the original 97 fork I would say its not rebuildable. and if it is they just don't function that well. its ridable especially when you don't any better. and it was fun.

the main problem was the pivots. after a short time they were worn and became sloppy. because the werent a standardized bearing, there was absolutely no way to replace such a part. it had its own little dimension and only a machinist could have mimicked it and not worth it in the end. im not sure if theres bearings in the enduro or how readily available the mounting bolts or bearing dimension are?. its kinda a crapshoot in that department. But it is crucial to the function of a full suspension bike.

geometry has also drastically changed over the years. older bikes have much steeper head angle and don't suit downhill as well as newer generations. my honest advice is something newer. atleast by a few more hundred bucks and atleast try and get into the 2000+ model, and still it will old technology in a lot of ways. the closer you can get to a grand, the better of finding something more modern . JMO. I hate to be a nay sayer. its tuff trying to enter the full suspension market on a budget. I know I been there. what city are you in? keep checkin craigslist or local ads on pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    hey bro, finds like this are decent. this bike has hydraulics. and 5-7 inche of travel. im not sure about sizing but. Giant AC1 Full Suspension Mountain Bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Mountain Bike 2010 Mongoose Otero Pro

even this ad for a 2001 has a very dated fork. the four ads I put previous to this ad are more modern forks. 2001 Giant Warp DS3 Full Suspension Mountain Bike, Excellent Condition

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    one of the giant warps has a cheap fork and v brakes. the other warp has cable disc brakes. the black and white giant is a giant Yukon retails for about a 1000. but its the newest. maybe 09.
    the khs is by far the nicest componentry wise.
    then the giant ac2. while not topend compenents it does have hydros and a large travel frame. the splice fork isn't fox or new generation high end rockshock but better than the others. I don't know much about the mongoose without pic but it specs with hydro brakes. most bikes under a 1k have mechanical disc. not hydro. goodluck

I would say somewhere around 2005 was a trend to more modern technology. more hyrdroformed tubing. more modern linkage designs. suspensions start becoming more technical. hydro brakes start taking over higher end market. v brakes getting outdated. rebound adjuments on forks more common.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I had a craptastic, 2001 Giant Warp DS3 for a short spell. My buddy's Sports Authority Mongoose was a much better ride.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"