mtbr member

Advice on Bike fit for AM

HI i have an 18" 05 Kona Dawg Dee-lux and i am 5'9.1/2 32 inseam....... when i ride my arms are out rigid and I feel like I am not getting back far enough and my centre of gravity is forward! ....my seat is mounted centre of the post and i notice a lot of people have theirs towards the rear I have already shortened the stem to 70mm.#

two questions
    1.is the bike to big for me for AM style single track type riding
    2.could i shorten the stem say to 40 mm with out compromising the handling?

Cheers guys this is a biggy as I cant get away from the unbalanced feel and I think its not helping my enjoyment of the bike ......any advice on fitting would be appreciated.

PS : posted it here as its the out of sadle AM type riding i want to be good at.
    Last edited by mzungo; 06-24-2006 at 12:29 PM.

Custom User Title
    Are you bent foreward or just reaching foreward?
    Do you have a layback post?
    Is you stem against the head set or do you have spacers in there?
    Riser bar or no riser?

This is all I can think of right now but a little more info would be nice. I don't know the TT spec of the Dawg so I can't answer the size issue. Some Kona owners are sure to pipe in and give you more info.

good luck
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteele
    Are you bent foreward or just reaching foreward?
    Do you have a layback post?
    Is you stem against the head set or do you have spacers in there?
    Riser bar or no riser?

This is all I can think of right now but a little more info would be nice. I don't know the TT spec of the Dawg so I can't answer the size issue. Some Kona owners are sure to pipe in and give you more info.

good luck

Bars are mid rise
    stem about 6 degree rise
    seat post = nolayback
    20mm of spacers under the stem

top tube messured to the centres on the flat is 23"

I dont really no how to answer the position thing! i feel as if my weight is being pitched forward i get numb hands and have pressure on the base and out side edge of my palm.

heres a picture of the cockpit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mzungo; 06-24-2006 at 06:43 AM.

mtbr member

Here is me on it.. dont laugh iam in my chefing gear

Here is me on it.. dont laugh iam in my chefing gear
    Attached Images Attached Images

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    You might check if your seat is level.If the nose is tilted up it'll push you back.It looks like the bike is the right size.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Slide the saddle forward an inch and see if it helps (note: 20mm = one inch). From the pic it doesn't look so bad. In fact, your posture is more on the FR side than XC (ie. your back is past 45 degrees).

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I think you could easily ride a smaller bike, but I don't think that's too bad a fit, either. You don't look like you're leaning really far forward. 5'9" and a 31 1/2 inseam probably means you have a short torso, though. I have a relatively short torso as well, and I like bikes with a shorter TT. You could try a DH-length stem, or (to fix the numbness) try ergo grips. A lot of people like them who have hand numbness issues.

singlespeed smash brother
    Contratry to previous posters I recon your saddle could afford to be slid back on the rails a bit more.At the mo you have a 0 laback post with sadde in the middle of the rails which looks like its forcing you to sit very upright with all your weight very forward and you look a bit cramped in the cockpit. If you feel you aren't back enough this is where I'd start. The bike looks the right size for you, If you go a shorter stem you will realy start to compromize your bikes climbing ability and the front wheel will start to become very light through flat twisty corners causing you to wash out more. If your seat went back more the angle of your back will start to approach 45 degrees which helps you to get over the bike in a good aggressive attacking posture. If you look at photos of John Tomac riding he was always in this position oft refered to as the Tomac attack posture.
    Last edited by shwinboy; 06-24-2006 at 09:55 PM.

silly person
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinboy
    Contratry to previous posters I recon your saddle could afford to be slid back on the rails a bit more.At the mo you have a 0 laback post with sadde in the middle of the rails which looks like its forcing you to sit very upright with all your weight very forward and you look a bit cramped in the cockpit. If you feel you aren't back enough this is where I'd start. The bike looks the right size for you, If you go a shorter stem you will realy start to compromize your bikes climbing ability and the front wheel will start to become very light through flat twisty corners causing you to wash out more. If your seat went back more the angle of your back will start to approach 45 degrees which helps you to get over the bike in a good aggressive attacking posture. If you look at photos of John Tomac riding he was always in this position oft refered to as the Tomac attack posture.
    Seconded.

mtbr member

Thanks

I will try your suggestion...but to complicate maters a bit... this afternoon I got my hands on a 16" Kikapau that has 5" back and front, i took it for a ride on my usual trail and felt immediately at one with the bike it was so nimble and flickable I felt like i could control it with out lurching backward and forward.

Also I have booked a demo day next Sunday with Marin bikes who are coming to our trails so I should be able to ride a variety of sizes and really sort this fit thing out...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

this is an interesting site for fit, read the saddle for and aft section. My hands used to really hurt till i slid the saddle back. now they are fine. It is a good read.