mtbr member
    Sep 2013

advice - bashing pedals, new bike?

I bought a Santa Cruz Blur XC in its last year of production three years ago after 15 years of a hardtail. Very excited for my first FS bike.

Then I broke my back, had a year of surgeries and recovery and stuff, and ... long story short, by now I still haven't even felt like I got used to the new ride. Maybe I'm too used to standing up to get over obstacles. But maybe it's the bike. I feel like I'm always bashing the pedals on the Blur, even on fire roads, on things I KNOW I wouldn't have hit on my hardtail. The rear shock is pumped up to body weight and rebound set right. And I bottom out on logs I don't expect to.

The perceived lack of clearance makes me back off of things I know I can ride, for fear of knocking myself off (and now with a delicate spine). So I'm just not having as much fun.

So: is it the bike or is it me? Do all FS bikes ride that much lower than the hardtail? Should I consider a different bike? I'm 5'6" (but 32" inseam) so I did not consider a 29er when I was out looking. I generally like the Blur in other aspects, so something in that XC ride and price range.

Thanks for your thoughts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    did you check the sag you're getting on shock? sounds like not enough pressure tbh.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    sag is set at about a third. Pressure has been my thought too, but, I'm wondering if what I'm experiencing is just normal and I don't know it.

Shock isn't losing air, either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    so about 30%? thats the amount i run on my dh rig with 200mm. Try pumping up to 25%, see if that helps. The bottoming on logs bit is why Im thinking you're running to low pressure. Doesn't sound normal, while pedal strikes do happen this sounds a bit unsual

mtbr member
    Same crank arm length? At your height you might be on 175s now compared to 170s before. Depending on how it's riding you might want to try a bit less sag.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    it might be good to know what you're used to - as a benchmark. What is the BB height of your hard tail? Then check the BB height on your blur for comparison, with you both off and on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ..and lets not forget that you need to change your riding habits a bit when going FS. Remember that your bottom bracket moves closer to the ground when the suspension compresses. A hard tail's bottom bracket does not get closer to the ground...unless the ground rises up prior to the rear tire rising up from the same obstacle.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Convert to 27.5"!

mtbr member
    My old Blur classic has similar geometry, including bb height. It's very possible to smash a pedal in roots and rock gardens. Fire roads, though??

Are you pedaling in mid-corner, or too early at corner exit? If you need to get in one pedal stroke in a slow section, you need to ratchet. If you're going fast... um.. don't pedal when the bike is leaned over.

Yes, it is that simple. Even if you could get away with it on another bike. Full suspension is superior, especially with an injured back. I'm not saying you wouldn't get *any* value out of a longer travel bike.. but I am saying that you don't strictly need it.

mtbr member
    I've had to modify my pedaling style since switching to FS; I like to power through the hardest sections, but had to learn to ratchet more, since the act of pushing hard on the pedals compresses the shock. Wheelieing slightly right before an obstacle helps, because you preload the shock early, hitting the object as the shock is rebounding. I think the real answer for me is a shorter crank though. My large bikes always come with 175 arms, But I like 170's more (and run 165's on my TT & road bikes). Since I remain seated more on my FS bike than I did on my hardtail (which I used a 170 crank on), I'm considering going 165, but at the very least will be mounting a 170 as soon as the funds allow.