Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    424

    Advice with an AM groupset.

    Hi, I am in the process of an AM build with a kona coiler frame, and have decided to buy a groupset of the same components. Can you tell me which are good ones to get? I ride DH, so the riding on this bike will also probably be quite influenced by that. I was planning on using the shimano Hone groupset, which looks strong enough for some rough rock gardens etc, and is slightly beefier than the shimano XC groupsets like the XT or XTR.
    Another question: if the hone set is the one I get, will the hollowtech 2 system fit in a normal mtb BB shell in my frame? I have no experience with hollotech systems.
    I have been looking at sram, but I'd like to keep as many components the same as possible, and sram don't make hubs and brakes etc.
    Thanks for help,
    Graham

  2. #2
    TNC
    TNC is offline
    noMAD man
    Reputation: TNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,059
    The Hone crankset is the same as the LX, so it's not stronger than XT...probably about the same strength. XT is fairly stout, and remember these are thru-axle style cranksets which aids in the strength.

    The old style of buying a group has kinda gone out of favor, because there are just too many good products scattered among all the brands. You really can come up with a better overall bike by shopping the components across the board.

    That said if I was forced to pick a Shimano component group for AM riding, I'd probably go with XT. It's about the best bang-for-the-buck. The Hone stuff is a little heavy to me, and I mean basically heavier without any real strength increase like the Saint group has. If you're building a real AM bike out of your Coiler, try to keep it decently light, and I think you'll enjoy it more. I take it that you already have a DH bike.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    424
    Thanks,
    yes I've already got a DH bike. I understand you completely about the added weight with the hone, and not much more strength, and am now debating between:
    1. XT groupset.
    2. Hone groupset.
    3. Seperate components.
    I will probably not go for option 3, even if I can save a couple $$ and get a slightly better setup, because I simply want everything together, with minimum hassle, from the same shop, and I want to try it, I've never built with a groupset before.
    You seem confident enough that the hone is similar in strength to XT, so at the moment my first choice is XT, keeping weight down to a minimum.
    Graham

  4. #4
    Freshly Fujified
    Reputation: Call_me_Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,200

    Go with XT

    AS TNC said, Hone is basically LX rebadged by Shimano for marketing purposes. If you want to stick with a single gruppo, then XT is probably the best way to go. Tried and true, relatively tough, and reasonably priced.

    Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

  5. #5
    -> SickLines.com <-
    Reputation: mtb_biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,213
    unfortuantely TNC hit it on the head. Buy what works and not a "grouppo". In todays age there's no reason not to benefit from all the manufactuers.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    unfortuantely TNC hit it on the head. Buy what works and not a "grouppo". In todays age there's no reason not to benefit from all the manufactuers.
    I agree, but I also say: what is wrong with staying with one maunfacturer? If you like a shimano product there is no reason you shouldn't go for anything other than shimano.

  7. #7
    conjoinicorned
    Reputation: ferday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,530
    i run a full XTR group (except hubs) and love having it all the same, there's nothing wrong with a full gruppo.
    i would recommend XT rather than XTR though just because of price, the XT stuff is some of the best. very durable and relatively cheap, not to mention so so easy to find parts.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

  8. #8
    -> SickLines.com <-
    Reputation: mtb_biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,213
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamjtriggs
    I agree, but I also say: what is wrong with staying with one maunfacturer? If you like a shimano product there is no reason you shouldn't go for anything other than shimano.
    I agree if you like it then go for it. I'm just saying that i don't think there's any perfect grouppo out there that is made by one manufacturer. There are too many very nice hubs and differnt brakes to passup just to stay with one brand across a bike. If you're trying to build a light wheelset dont' expect to get that out of a shimano hub.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hardtails Are Better's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,298
    If you really want to stick to one group, then XT.
    If not, Sram X.9 with Magura brakes in whichever flavor tickles your fancy, and a nice wheelset a-la Mavic CrossMax XL, or maybe a custom one from your shop of choice. And Sram does too make brakes, at least kind of. They own Avid.

  10. #10
    Veni Vidi Vici
    Reputation: barelylegal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    995
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    i run a full XTR group (except hubs) and love having it all the same, there's nothing wrong with a full gruppo.
    i would recommend XT rather than XTR though just because of price, the XT stuff is some of the best. very durable and relatively cheap, not to mention so so easy to find parts.
    Totally agree with your post, I too ride full XTR group except for hubs. But my other buddies ride XT and they enjoy it very much, specially because of the price difference among the two.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fw190's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    The Hone crankset is the same as the LX, so it's not stronger than XT...probably about the same strength
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    AS TNC said, Hone is basically LX rebadged by Shimano for marketing purposes.
    There are two Hone models:

    What both of you say holds true for the M600 with three chain rings.

    The M601, however, is not a rebadged LX. It has a bash guard, steel spindle, steel inner chain ring and steel pedal inserts, all of which have some relevance to AM riding IMO.

    Apples and oranges may both be fruit, but the end user could find the distinction important.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]Täglich drei Millionen Leser der Kronenzeitung abzulehnen, ist ein Zeichen tiefster moralischer Verkommenheit.

  12. #12
    I just let one RIP
    Reputation: Jwiffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,134
    I vote XT if going with a gruppo. Personally, I run SRAM X-9 shifters and rear derailleur, but XT front derailleur, cranks, hubs, and brakes on my AM rig. (well, xt front hub was moved to my cx bike, because I needed a 20mm for my Fox 36, so I now have a WTB SuperDuty hub in front)

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hardtails Are Better's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle
    I vote XT if going with a gruppo. Personally, I run SRAM X-9 shifters and rear derailleur, but XT front derailleur, cranks, hubs, and brakes on my AM rig. (well, xt front hub was moved to my cx bike, because I needed a 20mm for my Fox 36, so I now have a WTB SuperDuty hub in front)
    That's the way to go IMO, with the possible exception of the brakes and hubs. I prefer Magura Julies and I9 wheels.... Drool......

  14. #14
    I just let one RIP
    Reputation: Jwiffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    That's the way to go IMO, with the possible exception of the brakes and hubs. I prefer Magura Julies and I9 wheels.... Drool......
    So, in other words, you would only have an XT crankset. kinda far from a gruppo

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    16

    Best Bang for your $$$$

    XT shifters, FD/RD, and crankset. SRAM 970 11-34 cassette and chain. Mag Julie brakes. Mavic wheelset(the best you can afford). You'll have to replace the middle chainring in about 6 mos, but the crank arms and BB are the best out there for price/reliability/stiffness. This is the build I'm using on my motolite, there's no reason to give one company all your $$$, and different brands make some parts better than others IMHO.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hardtails Are Better's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle
    So, in other words, you would only have an XT crankset. kinda far from a gruppo
    True, but I think that's the best setup for the money out there, even if it isn't all from one group.

  17. #17
    Oh, So Interesting!
    Reputation: davec113's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,142
    I just got a new x9 drivetrain (shifters, derailleurs, casette, chain)... Awesome!!! I had xt/xtr stuff, and it wasn't long before it became a pita to tune, then tuning the derailleurs became impossible due to worn out springs and pivots. I Dunno if the x9 has the same issues, but the medium cage rear derailleur is sweet, it shifts better than the xtr ever did. I set it up once, it worked flawlessly right off the bat... and for '07 you can get a short cage x9. The x9 casette actually has crappy reviews, but I got it with a wheelset and tires taken off an new '04 bike. It has a composite spider and the 34t cog seems prone to bending if you powershift, but it works great so far.
    .




    Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    227
    hone crankset, lx everything else. not too expensive to replace broken parts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •