mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Advice on 27.5 steel AM hardtail

Been going back and forth trying to decide on what AM HT to get, and it's driving myself nuts. I'd like to get a 27.5 so the options are somewhat limited atm. I see lots of new models coming for 2014, but that's months away, and I dont have anything to ride!

The one which seems to be available closest is he Commencal Meta HT.
    META HT CROMO 2014

I'm 6 feet tall, with 34.5 inch inseam. I'm just afraid the Large Commencal will be too big, while the medium seems small.

Some stats for the large:
    Horizontal Top tube 620 mm
    Reach 422
    Stack 645

So, am I just overthinking the size situation?

Worth noting is that I have no experience with bike geometry, so don't really have anthing to compare with.

If you have any other options on nice bikes available, or will be very soon, please tell.

Bro Mountainbiker
    The Kona Explosif looks pretty sweet. I love my Honzo, but a 650 would be pretty rad.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Bike size is complex, l had the same issue recently, losing sleep over which size to get and then fretting over my choice. What if it was too big?

The only thing you can do is what l did. Ride the bike you want, if it feels right then buy it, and then just forget about it and ride it!

Obviously there are some baseline size charts, but these did not work for me. I am 5 foot 6 and everybody pointed me towards the 15"/16" frame, but l felt much happier on the 17", so l went for that one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusdriver View Post
    Bike size is complex, l had the same issue recently, losing sleep over which size to get and then fretting over my choice. What if it was too big?

The only thing you can do is what l did. Ride the bike you want, if it feels right then buy it, and then just forget about it and ride it!

Obviously there are some baseline size charts, but these did not work for me. I am 5 foot 6 and everybody pointed me towards the 15"/16" frame, but l felt much happier on the 17", so l went for that one.
    Okay. Nice to hear I'm not the only one with this problem. Truth is, I'd probably not know if I picked the right or wrong size until I tried a bunch of other similar bikes to determine what is actually right. Hard to formulate that sentence .

I've been spending way too much time looking at different bikes, wheel sizes and frame sizes. In all reality I'd be happy riding pretty much anything close to my needs.

mtbr member
    Your bike shop should be able to sit you on a bike and at least give you a starting point to work from.

As l found, it is about your inseam measurement and the length of your arms as much as your leg length and height.

As l have long arms the 17" Kona frame felt much better, even though l did not have as much top tube clearance as the smaller size.

My last bike was a 16" bought online and it was a bit too cramped for me, so it is important to get it right!

As soon as l tried the 17" it just felt right, l think you will know when you try the right size bike, as l did.

mtbr member
    buy a Chameleon. theyre a great all around hardtail, and the their large will fit you perfect

Santa Cruz Bicycles CHAMELEON

or if you already have parts, buy their frame for $350

https://shop.santacruzbicycles.com/s...lack-1388.html
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Ride one before you buy, if you can! I was told that the 16" Cube would be the right bike for me (not by anybody on here, it was before l joined) and while it was alright, l would have been better with the next size up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    buy a Chameleon. theyre a great all around hardtail, and the their large will fit you perfect

Santa Cruz Bicycles CHAMELEON

or if you already have parts, buy their frame for $350

https://shop.santacruzbicycles.com/s...lack-1388.html
    It looks great, although its an aluminum frame. I'd like to get a steel or maybe titanium. I do have a softsport for SC bikes though .

Ride one before you buy, if you can! I was told that the 16" Cube would be the right bike for me (not by anybody on here, it was before l joined) and while it was alright, l would have been better with the next size up.
    I would if I could, but bikes in this segment is not for sale in Sweden. Have to go international in order to get one. The general consensous seems to be to pick the smaller bike though. I'd rather go with a shorter than a large stem though, both for handling and for looks.

I will have to give the Commencal some though. While it does look good, I'm not really sure about the value of it. Lots of the components seems to be Commencal-specific, and I can't tell if this is a good or a bad thing.

mtbr member
    Is there a bike shop you can go to, just to try different sizes?
    Failing that, the general consensus seems to be that if you are stuck between two sizes, go for the smaller one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It would probably not make much sense since all of the guys around here are riding XC rigs.

mtbr member
    what kind of terrain do you plan on riding
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    this is steel and 27.5 but whats your budget anyway?

JAMIS BICYCLES

and Kona has one too

KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | TRAIL 27.5" HT | EXPLOSIF
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I do a little bit of everything I encounter in the forrest, with emphasis on downs. Would like to be able to do some XC too though. Fastest times is not very important to me. Just want to get out riding random stuff with a playful bike.

I've seen the Kona and Jamis, but I'd like more travel (130mm+ atleast), and maybe a little slacker head angle (66-67). Yes, I'm very picky

mtbr member
    Check with Transition. They are coming out with a 27.5 version of the TransAm.

Having just come off a Blue Pig and struggling with the same size issue as you are, the only thing I have to say is sizes are like shoes. Company A's size 19 is not the same fit and feel as Company B's size 19. Seen's how you are looking at a slack HT, I feel its best to go a size small as most of them feel big compared to their tradionally geo'd counterparts. If you have always ridden a 20, get a 19, etc. Hope that helps
    If I were faster, I would win

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Klunkin' Ain't Easy.
    Not steel but new: Rocky Ridge 7.4 | Marin Bikes | us
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Advice on 27.5 steel AM hardtail-rocky_ridge_7.4_1152_648_80_s.jpg  

Obviously, you're not a golfer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If you are a true 6', I would not be worried at all about a large with a 620mm top tube. That's about perfect if you ask me. Let's you run a little shorter stem if you need to as well. Any with a 34+ inch inseam, most medium bikes will have a 17" ish seat tube, so you'll have a ton of seatpost out, which could create fit issues with the bar height and such

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Check out the new Raleigh 4130.