mtbr member

ADVICE! '07 Fisher HIFI vs '06 Iron Horse Hollow Point MarkIII Trail

looking at all-mountain/ trail bikes.
    didn't want to go over $1200 but ohh well.
    i'm not really concerned about the 120 vs 140 travel.
    i'm told the frame on the Fisher is better and i like the adjustability of the rear shock but i think the componants and front fork are better on the MarkIII

let me know if you think i should look at something else as well.

2007 Gary Fisher HIFI
    front shock -Manitou Relic Comp w/lockout 120 mm travel
    rear shock - Fox Float RP3 (RP2?)
    Shimano Deore group
    Shimano M475 hubs
    Shimano M442-8 Octalink 44/32/22 crank
    Avid BB5 mechanical disc brakes
    weight ?

$1350 (local price)

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/bik...ifi&bike=Hi_Fi

2006 Iron Horse Hollowpoint MarkIII Trail
    front - Rock Shox Tora 302 140mm travel
    rear - Fox Float R Air, 7.5 x 2
    SRAM X.7 componant group
    Hayes MX 4 Mechanical w/ 6" rotor
    FSA Alpha Drive crank
    Hubs: Alloy Disc, 32H
    weight?

$1,299 (performance bike)

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...TOKEN=12716552

Mr.
    mtbr member
    My pick would be the IH, however that said -

Buy locally from your good local shop, even if it means spending a bit more. Even if you feel 100% comfortable wrenching on your own bikes, there's nothing like the comfort of your local shop to be able to visit if you have problems, warranty issues, etc.
    If you can grab a fistfull of belly in your hand, does that mean you're fat?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'll go with the Hifi. I have the deluxe in a medium and it's awesome. Take it out for a test ride and you won't be disappointed. I agree with Mr. in re to buying from a LBS.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I love the DW-link all though it isn't a light bike by any means. I'm not sure how the fisher compares with that.

If there is a Performance near your area check them out. If they seem like good guys then by all means purchase from them. They do have a very solid satisfaction policy though so you can't really walk away disappointed.

I am working for them this summer before school starts. We are opening store 101 in Dallas this week! Let me tell you about 12 hour bike building marathons! haha solid!

mtbr member
    i know what you guys mean about LBS vs massive conglomerate bike shop. i actually have 3 performance shops in my area and soon to be 4. i need to see what kind of deal i can get at performance. cause at the LBS they give me a $200 credit at the store to spend anyway i want except on another bike.

i would really like to know how much these bikes weight? can't find that out anywhere though.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by redxjay
    i know what you guys mean about LBS vs massive conglomerate bike shop. i actually have 3 performance shops in my area and soon to be 4. i need to see what kind of deal i can get at performance. cause at the LBS they give me a $200 credit at the store to spend anyway i want except on another bike.

i would really like to know how much these bikes weight? can't find that out anywhere though.
    let me know size on the IH and I can weigh it - I'm about to build 20-30 of them today hopefully all '07 but who knows - Ill call my friend in plano and have him weigh the '06 model

One sales guy didn't really like IH and then I took him for a ride on it one day and he has sold 5 of them since! haha

you can join team performance and get 10% back for the cost of $25 and you can spend that on anything

where do you live?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by givemefive
    let me know size on the IH and I can weigh it - I'm about to build 20-30 of them today hopefully all '07 but who knows - Ill call my friend in plano and have him weigh the '06 model

One sales guy didn't really like IH and then I took him for a ride on it one day and he has sold 5 of them since! haha

you can join team performance and get 10% back for the cost of $25 and you can spend that on anything

where do you live?

cool.

i'm looking at the 2006 MKIII Trail at size 17" size. that would be great if he could weight it.

i'm in a near suburb of chicago so they mostly stock hardtails here. the 10% off thing is great. does that apply to sale items as well? cause the IH is on sale.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

where do you live?
    Yeah, if the Fisher is single-pivot, there really is no comparison...

bumble
    I have recently been in your situation. I tested the Fisher HiFi, the Trek Fuels, the Specialized FSR XC and the IH Mk III. For the price/components, the Mk III can't be beat. I have a Performance near me and I got it there. As far as the HiFi vs. the IH, IMHO there is little comparison. The DW-Link is far superior to the other bikes I tried. If you can make a direct comparison between the two, you will end up with the Mk III.

Also, Performance has made good on their satisfaction policy for me several times, no problem. Try walking into your LBS and ask them if they will give you 20% off on a Specialized FSR XC so you can get the value of the bike closer to the Mk III, and see how fast they laugh you out of the place.

mtbr member
    i think i'm leaning toward IH. especially after hearing about this 10% off thing.

mtbr member
    I'd get the IH. Fisher spec'd a Manitou make a fork with a special 50 mm offset to get the bike to handle how they wanted. Standard offset is 40mm. If you ever upgrade your fork you could throw the handling off.

I also think the DW link outperforms a single pivot.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i think i'm leaning toward IH. especially after hearing about this 10% off thing.
    its not 10% off

its 10% back meaning that you get $150 to spend on water bottle, cages, clothing, tools, tubes, pumps, bikes, shoes, anything in the store, etc.. and its a buyers club so its $25 for the entire year and all purchases count

The mkIII trail in a 17" weighs just under 32lbs fully loaded with pedals and seatpost which isn't terrible considering one of my newer trek hard tails weighs in at 33lbs

mtbr member
    its not 10% off

its 10% back meaning that you get $150 to spend on water bottle, cages, clothing, tools, tubes, pumps, bikes, shoes, anything in the store, etc.. and its a buyers club so its $25 for the entire year and all purchases count

The mkIII trail in a 17" weighs just under 32lbs fully loaded with pedals and seatpost which isn't terrible considering one of my newer trek hard tails weighs in at 33lbs

thanks for all the advice and info.

i just orded the mkIII on the red phone.

The only thing everyone failed to warn me of was to tell my wife that i'm going to buy a bike. so when discover card called to ask if a $1400 purchase at performance was legit she was like "yeah that sounds like my dumb ass husband". minor details

thanks everyone.

mtbr member

The only thing everyone failed to warn me of was to tell my wife that i'm going to buy a bike. so when discover card called to ask if a $1400 purchase at performance was legit she was like "yeah that sounds like my dumb ass husband". minor details

thanks everyone.

Mr.
    mtbr member

congrats!

thanks everyone.
    I think you made a great decision, except with using the card. My mom did the same thing a couple of years ago when buying my Pa a new laptop for x-mas. The minute she got home, he wanted to know what kind of computer she had bought him, because Discover wasn't able to tell him the details!
    If you can grab a fistfull of belly in your hand, does that mean you're fat?