mtbr member
    Sep 2013

advice for $1,300 budget for used FS trail/AM bike

First post here, I am not new to mountain biking, but have been out of the game for about 10 years and want to catch up with the times! I am still riding my vintage Diamondback Racing Vertex HT, but it just isn't up to par for me anymore on the single track and rough trails of my local Dupont and Pisgah riding areas. As the title says, I am looking for a used 5-6in trail/AM rig in the $1,300 price range and would prefer something 2010 model or newer. Current options I have found are a couple of Trek Remedy 8, Giant Reign 2, and 2010 Diamondback Mission 4. I'm tempted to get the Mission due to brand loyalty, but DB just doesn't seem to be on the same level it was ~15 years ago. Would love to hear opinions on these options or other suggestions within my budget!

mtbr member
    What are specs forks wheels group sets etc?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    One Remedy 8 I have found is stock build other than 2x10 drivetrain (2012).
    Other R8 is mostly stock, but has a Lyrik instead of Fox fork (2011).
    Reign 2's I have seen are all basically stock build depending on the year.
    2010 Mission 4 has Lyrik fork w/new 2013 internals. Bontrager AM wheelset (not sure of specs) 2x10 drive, mostly stock otherwise.
    All have a mix of SLX, XT, and SRAM parts.
    Mission is lowest price of what I've found so far and appears good bang for the buck...
    Mission has a 2-3lb weight disadvantage over the Remedy and Reign which is a very slight concern since I'm used to riding a really light XC hard tail.

mtbr member
    I would recommend a Reign, these bikes are beasts! Just be carefull, there was a problem with the 2010 frames!
    Hit it first, then we can see where to put the landing.

mtbr member
    I would get a reign if its clean.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Santa Cruz Heckler

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buck8154 View Post
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    this

the Heckler has been around for a long time. its very reliable, tuff, low maintenance and well loved
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

insert sarcasm here
    I'd stay away from the Diamondbacks, and go with a proven FS design instead. I have a couple of friends with Giants, and they really rate them. Their suspension is very similar to DW link bikes, and when it comes to FS frames, I believe rear suspension design is paramount to how good a bike is overall.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for input guys, good info so far!
    gbug, I know DB's knucklebox isn't the most popular setup out there, but it does seem to work from the research I have done, why do you feel it is unproven?

Another option I have just found locally, is a 2011 Remedy 9 frame with shock. I'm thinking I could get the frame/shock for $600, but I've never done a full frame up build and I don't know if it would be possible within my budget?

Any thoughts on building up a Remedy within $1,300?

mtbr member
    DB Knucklebox design is good. Works well with quality suspension.
    The Mission is a nice frame.
    Only immediate downside may be the weight.
    If the Mission has newer parts, was well maintained, and the frame is in good shape, it could be a great deal for you-it's already the lowest price before you start haggling with the seller.

Reign's are awesome. Great frames and great suspension. It's an excellent bike. Reign 2 had decent parts in stock set up.

At your budget, I wouldn't build a bike. I'd just buy a complete used bike.

No matter what used bike you get, budget in some extra cash for repairs and replacement parts over the first few months-brake pads, brake bleeds, tires, cockpit adjustments, basic tune up, etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Well I ended up with a 2010 Mission for $900! It will be here in 3 days.
    It started as a M2, one owner, but he had swapped out basically all the stock parts.
    As it sits it has DHX Air 5.0 shock, solo air Lyrik, X0 shifters and X9 derailers, SLX crank setup 2x, Elixir CR brakes (mixed reviews on those).
    It has a heavier wheel/tire setup with Pimplite/Halo up front and Sun SOS out back, running heavy DH tires, so I may swap tires to save a little weight, I'll see if the weight bothers me once it gets here.
    I think it was a good deal considering my budget.

mtbr member
    seems like a pretty good deal to me!
    Hit it first, then we can see where to put the landing.