Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Advantages/Disadvantages of a 10mm bolt on rear hub

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  juice 
#1 ·
I know I've got a million questions.. But i'd like to know the general consensus on the advantages/disadvantages of a 10mm bolt on rear hub vs your generic QR rear hub ? cept for the obvious inconvenience of removing the rear wheel (which i almost never do.. so thats thrown out the window)..

Any users out there ? how do you find it ? an upgrade or a downgrade from the QR ?

I'm building up a new wheelset, so i figured I might as well try something new. Oh yeah and one more thing just to be certain, it WILL fit onto standard drop-outs wouldn't it ? Ones that previously held QR hubs ? Thanks a mil !

#5 ·
alex_k said:
btw you can use DT Swiss RWS thru bolt with 10mm rear hub.

http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5629
But he specified a bolt-on 10mm hub, not a bolt-thru. This would have a threaded axle and not work with the RWS.

Anyhow OP: I went from a qr to a 10mm bolt thru axle and I can't honestly say I've noticed any difference. Still I won't go back to a qr. As far as if it will fit??? Yes, a 135mm spacing (dropout) will fit a 135mm hub, regardless of the type of axle you use.

Also I've had real bad luck with that POS RWS. I broke two of them in a matter of weeks and they are expensive. Also they chew up the dropout when you tighten them. I moved on to a Hadley 10mm thru axle...much better and much cheaper. All this is just imo, of course.

#7 ·
I converted one rear wheel with Hope Pro 2 hub from QR to the DT RWS, and noticed the difference right away on my old 575 (the previous generation without the "bridge")

I also have another pro 2 wheelset with the bolt-on rear, and I don't notice any stiffness difference between it an the RWS..... since the convenience of "no-tools" is not an issue... the bolt on should work well for you...

what hubs do you have or are you looking at?

#8 ·
Thanks for the review ! I'm currently running a pair of XTRs on my XC rig, looking to build up a new AM hardtail with bolt on rears, prolly a set of Pro IIs. I've already got most of the other bits, just can't really decide on the rear hub. 20mm front is certain though. Btw, I NEED reliability. I tend to thrash my stuff, another reason why I'm looking at the bolt ons, assuming that they out perform standard QRs ?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.