View Poll Results: What would you pay for an adjustable seatpost?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like one but can't see spending more than $50

3 6.38%
  • I'd like one but can't see spending more than $100

23 48.94%
  • I'd like one but can't see spending more than $200

8 17.02%
  • I'd like one and would spend what I need to for a quality adjustable post

10 21.28%
  • No, don't want one at all

3 6.38%

Adjustable seatposts cost prohibitive?

In keeping with the several threads on adjustable posts lately, I'm just wondering how many would use one but are kept away by the price mainly. I know a few people who've expressed interest but don't want to spend the $250 or so for a Gravity Dropper or similar. I know there are now more options lately, but the better posts aren't cheap. I find it somewhat curious as many of us would pop some serious coin for a nice hub, crank, derailleur, etc. or even a seatpost that doesn't do anything. Thought a poll that would break the cost down a bit might be interesting...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    I am saving to upgrade my wheels, but will be saving to get a post after that.

mtbr member
    I will end up getting one this season, at $250 I feel foolish doing it but no other choices.

I admit I am no engineer but I just cant see what makes these things so expensive, I guess a large part of it is the low volume they sell them in and need to recoup the R&D costs with fewer sales than some other part (a really great brake is less than $250 and seems like more work to design)

Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    In keeping with the several threads on adjustable posts lately, I'm just wondering how many would use one but are kept away by the price mainly. I know a few people who've expressed interest but don't want to spend the $250 or so for a Gravity Dropper or similar. I know there are now more options lately, but the better posts aren't cheap. I find it somewhat curious as many of us would pop some serious coin for a nice hub, crank, derailleur, etc. or even a seatpost that doesn't do anything. Thought a poll that would break the cost down a bit might be interesting...

Riiiiiide...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lee
    I will end up getting one this season, at $250 I feel foolish doing it but no other choices.

I admit I am no engineer but I just cant see what makes these things so expensive, I guess a large part of it is the low volume they sell them in and need to recoup the [SIZE="4"]R&D[/SIZE] costs with fewer sales than some other part (a really great brake is less than $250 and seems like more work to design)
    R&D??? Im pretty sure its a sit down and put it on paper type of thing.. one days work tops. They really arent all that complicated!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Look for one used,recently bought a gravity dropper turbo for 150.00 shipped in excellent condition.I now own three,have many steep shoots and huge rock rollovers and tech features,worth every penny,but aren't necessarily useful for average terrain.

attending to my vices
    I am definitely getting one, the trails I ride practically demand it if you don't want to stop and push or change saddle height every 5-10 minutes. I am learning the most I can about them, and there is very little info about the newer ones. They are really expensive and there have been so many issues with most of them that it is hard picking the right one.
    OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!