9 12.68%
  • Don't have one, don't really care for one

8 11.27%
  • Don't have one, really wish it had come stock

9 12.68%
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Adjustable seatpost poll

I was recently thinking of getting an AM bike. I work at a shop and have a pretty decent number to choose from (my shop is willing to let me order anything I want even from companies we don't carry, as long as the companies are cool with it). So I have a pretty good number of options.

When I was factoring cost, whether or not it had an adjustable seatpost was one of the biggest ones for me. I was willing to do x7 instead of x9 or x0, slx or even deore over xt/xtr (my DH bike is full saint and I generally run very nice equipment). Basically, most companies make some pretty good AM bikes. You can find nice offerings from Santa cruz, intense, trek, specialized, fisher, knolly, transition, pivot, turner, ibis, etc. Pretty much everybody makes a good ~6 inch AM frame. Likewise, most OEM suspension is pretty good. I could ride a fox or a rockshox and care less as long as I get some compression and rebound adjustment. I didn't give two fycks about what level of shifters it had, wheels were and added bonus, but certainly not one of my main considerations, brakes were important, but again, anything above elixer 3 I'm cool with. They'll work.

I'd say, behind making sure the shock/fork had compression and rebound adjustment, a suspension seatpost was my number 1 concern. Is this true for anybody else? How many of you have and adjustable seatpost? How many wish you had one? How many want one to come on your stock bike? how many wish one had come on your stock bike, and would be willing to spend a little bit more for it?

Edit: don't know if this has been covered already. Sorry if it has and I missed it.

Also, I would also be curious to know what type of bikes you wish they would come on. Maybe I'll make another poll for that. 4-5 inch trail bikes? 6 inch AM? 6-7 inch "am/fr" bikes?

usually cranky
    bought a reverb aftermarket. love it, best upgrade i have made to my bike.

T.W.O.
    I don't have one on every bikes but I have one for all the built ones

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I ride a BMC TF02 and got a KS i900r for Christmas. I have only been able to ride it through my house but I have a huge house. So far so good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    at $250 a post, why would you sacrafice other components get an adjustable seatpost?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    at $250 a post, why would you sacrafice other components get an adjustable seatpost?
    because a cheap ass set of deore shifters will shift just fine, and I ride hard enough that I'm going to bust deraillers. Because I don't need to lose that half pound in shifters or der's - I have a big enough wang and I can ride fast enough that it doesn't make a difference to me. I don't need to show off at the trailhead. Because I'll probably change out the cockpit anyway, I've never ridden an OEM cockpit that felt perfect out of the box, and because I have enough mechanical knowledge and wherewithal to rebuild pretty much any problem I have with my bike - if my wheels don't hold up, I'll buy stronger rims and rebuild them correctly by hand. If my hubs don't hold up, I'll rebuild them, or do the same. I'm not saying I'd sacrifice huge, just plenty of components don't really make a great deal of difference to me. Some make a much bigger difference - things like frame sizing, geometry, suspension performance, cockpit shape and setup, tires, and adjustable seatposts.

That said, I'm currently riding a session 88 with full saint that retailed for over 6K

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    When I was factoring cost, whether or not it had an adjustable seatpost was one of the biggest ones for me. I was willing to do x7 instead of x9 or x0, slx or even deore over xt/xtr (my DH bike is full saint and I generally run very nice equipment). ....
    I'd say, behind making sure the shock/fork had compression and rebound adjustment, a suspension seatpost was my number 1 concern...
    dude, sorry to have offended you.

my comment was only due to the fact that your post made it sound like you were willing to sacrifice on parts spec in order to find a bike that came stock with an adjustable post. there was no other reason for my comment.

that being said, I don't ride XT/better unless someone donates it to me. Too much money for what you get IMO. but, I LOVE my KS post.

Good luck with youor search.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Don't have one, don't care if it came stock, when I want one I'll buy one just like any other part.

Come on, dare me!
    I "had" to buy one because the seatpost clamp of my new carbon frame (Giant Trance X Advanced SL) was not standard (34mm instead of 34,9mm) and I couldn't replace it with a QR version... fast forward to now : even if I'm a (semi) weight weenie (always looking for ways to lighten my bikes without compromising strength, performance and safety), I enjoyed so much my first adjustable seatpost (KSi900L) that I bought another one for my all-mountain bike. Now, I can't imagine having a bike without it, even with the weight penalty. For technical trails, there's nothing better. Looking forward to hear more about the new Giant Switch Seatpost... Oh yes, about which bikes those are on :
    - one 5" trailbike
    - one 6" all-mountain bike

the test dummy
    i had one and loved it but it doesn't fit my current rig.... any one wanna trade for a 31.6 joplin, i need a 30.9 adjustable of some kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

skaterqwertyuiop
    I ride a 6" travel Iron Horse, and I've been thinking about getting an adjustable seatpost.
    I've been leaning toward http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Seatpost.aspx because it's a 27.2mm post. Also it's cheap. Really cheap.
    BRB, ordering it right now.
    It's not about what bike you ride, but how hard you tear it up