Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Adjustable Seatpost Decision

So I'm going to bite the bullet and buy one of these. Thought I had decided on the Gravity Dropper Turbo because of the good reviews. Then saw the new Kronolog. I like the design but the more I read about the quality (or lack) of Crank Brothers products in general the more scared I am to take this thing on in the 1st generation. Plus who knows when they're really going to become available. So now I'm back to thinking about the GD and then maybe the KS SuperNatural.

I'm really not brand specific. I just want a quality adjustable seatpost that will work for a long time with minimal service. I don't mind cleaning it and basic service but some of these things seem like they'd be better suited in a china shop than on a MTB trail. For me this is a big purchase that I don't "need" so it needs to last for a while.

I've been reading for weeks and I still just don't feel like I'm any closer to knowing what I need. It's got to fit a 30.9mm seat post and the specs say I've got 17.5" of seat tube space. I ride a Banshee Pyre mkII and it's a medium if anybody cares.

Anybody got any thoughts about what they'd do in my situation or any info about "the best" dropper on the market? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm just tired of searching and thinking about this and if I'm not going to wait for the Kronolog I might as well get something ordered before the money has to go toward something else.

Thanks
    Bryan

mtbr member
    I'm basically in the same boat. The reliabilty of these things seems to be all over the place, and it's really hard to get a good picture of how they compare just from internet reviews and anecdotal evidence.

The impression that I get is that of the hydraulic posts Reverb > KS > Joplin as far as reliability goes, but that is just based on what I've read and heard. The reliability probably changes a lot between different models, but really who knows. A guy who rides at my local trails has a Joplin and doesn't seem to have any trouble with it, so I think a lot of it is just luck and maybe how hard you are on gear.

At the moment I'm waiting on the Kronolog, but if I was to order right now I would probably get a Reverb. Maybe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I ride with several guys that have the Specialized Command Post, none of us have had any issues with them at all. I think you can get a deal on them right now on the Spec website - Specialized Bicycle Components : COMMAND POST

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I bought a joplin 3 in 2008 and recently retired it as it broke twice within that time.

Replaced with a command post seems solid.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

LightJunction.com
    I'm riding a KS, and have been for several months, but I ride with a lot of different people who are using different versions. The KS products are pretty decent as far as I'm concerned. So far, I think the RockShox Gravity Dropper has been my favorite. It's not the prettiest or most adjustable or anything...I like it because of how quickly the seatpost returns to it's original position when you push the lever. It seems to have a lot less friction/stronger spring or something. That's just my .02.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    I've been riding a Reverb for the past month or so and apart from an initial bleed after I shortened the hose, I've had no problems at all.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trailjunkee View Post
    So I'm going to bite the bullet and buy one of these. Thought I had decided on the Gravity Dropper Turbo because of the good reviews. Then saw the new Kronolog. I like the design but the more I read about the quality (or lack) of Crank Brothers products in general the more scared I am to take this thing on in the 1st generation. Plus who knows when they're really going to become available. So now I'm back to thinking about the GD and then maybe the KS SuperNatural.

I'm really not brand specific. I just want a quality adjustable seatpost that will work for a long time with minimal service. I don't mind cleaning it and basic service but some of these things seem like they'd be better suited in a china shop than on a MTB trail. For me this is a big purchase that I don't "need" so it needs to last for a while.

I've been reading for weeks and I still just don't feel like I'm any closer to knowing what I need. It's got to fit a 30.9mm seat post and the specs say I've got 17.5" of seat tube space. I ride a Banshee Pyre mkII and it's a medium if anybody cares.

Anybody got any thoughts about what they'd do in my situation or any info about "the best" dropper on the market? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'm just tired of searching and thinking about this and if I'm not going to wait for the Kronolog I might as well get something ordered before the money has to go toward something else.

Thanks
    Bryan
    AFAIK, the standard Gravity Dropper is the most time-tested and reliable one out there. If that is your criteria, I don't know that there is a safer bet. Not as sexy or feature heavy as some others, but there is no shortage of people with years and years on them with minimal maintenance. Some others may prove to be as reliable in the long run, but they have not been out there nearly as long.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    another vote for the command post here. i was looking at the gravity dropper first but liked the design of the cp better and since it's a mechanical post like the gd, i think you get a similar reliability. great post and no prob so far...

Ninja Master Powers
    I've been riding my KS i950r for two years and not had a single problem, none.

It came off my trance last month and went on my new Nomad C.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Those of you riding the command post, do they have the issue with developing twist or other movement in the saddle over time? Are there any other issues that the command post seems to have?

And thanks for all the responses.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    is the command post a metal spring like the gravity dropper? or is it air like the ks? i do like the 1 inch drop feature on the specialized and the gravity dropper. but i wonder if i would like the infinite of the ks. i find i like to drop my post about 2 inches for some of my trails. it getst my center of gravity low but i have a few sections to pedal. I think im going ks i950r or the standard specialized to save a few bucks, still not sure here also.

mtbr member
    the command post is a mechanical unit like the dropper. it has three set positions.

mtbr member
    The command post is not a metal spring, but an air spring.
    I have the CP Blacklite. Really like it.

mtbr member
    Been riding a Reverb for the past 6 months on my Trance X2....Absolutely no problems. Made a huge difference in my riding style with this bike. Highly recommended

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Anybody know anything about the Giant dropper seatpost? Went to our local Spec. dealer to check out the Command Post. They said it would be late April before they were available again. Man these things are hard to find. The only one I can really put my hands on is the Reverb but it's pretty low on my list. Got to check one out on a bike and it seemed to work really smooth but with all the maintenance and issues I've read about it's pretty low on my list.

mtbr member
    i got KS i950r for new bike i built last summer, mostly because i found a good deal. first ride, the thing turned into suspension post. dont have to tell you how bummed i was. sent it to rick for repairs and havent had single issue since. put dab of slick honey under collar once in a while, thats all maintainance i do. friend has one too since last spring without issues.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Well the local Spec dealer was actually able to find 1 Kronolog. They're getting it in for me and should be here at the end of the week. I figured I go ahead and try this thing out. Looks like it should be pretty good and we'll never know about the longevity until we start using them. With the 2 year warranty hopefully things will go well. I also got to put my hands on the Giant Control Dropper. It's a pretty nice peace of equipment as well. Seemed to work really smoothly. The one I got to see was being used and had been on a bike "for a while". Plus the price was right on that thing. The Giant dealer listed it at about $230. At that price I kind of hated to have already committed to the Kronolog. The Giant had very little side to side twist. I could easily have lived with what was there. Infinitely adjustable out to I think 100 mm. The switch was very low profile and worked well.

mtbr member
    I am now with the new DSP bighorn ! My first impression out of the box was WOW and it looks a lot more solid than my other joplin 4. Stanchion is bigger and less seats play. First activation was hard ! I mean very, very hard !!! I was jumping like crazy on it to get it to go down but after few activation everything was great. Also remote activation was quite hard for the thumb. This thing also cycle up and down very well. Up motion is fast like crazy ! to fast for my taste I will maybe lower air pressure a little to have a smoother movement. Overall the DSP look great and stronger than most brand I was able to try ! Let see how it does in few weeks !

Wait for me!
    I'm waiting on the KS LEV to come out. I had a i950R but got a new frame with a larger seat post diameter, didn't feel like messing with shims. Loved my i950R, like the fact that the LEV has a fixed cable. Should be a winner, they're saying June for release though

LCW
    mtbr member
    Just got a Reverb at decent price... Will be trying it out soon...
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You also need to think about which type you're going to like. I'm the kind of rider that will squeeze my seat between my thighs sometimes while I ride.

So for me, when I dropped the seat I want it to be in the same spot every time. That pretty much dictated I get a 3 position one. Other people love ones with infinite drop.

First decide that, because that dictates your choices.

I ended up with a used first generation Command Post, despite all the negative review about them, it's been problem free for 2 years since I bought it. I've read the newer one is even better and lighter.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The KS i950r on my Mojo HD has been rock solid.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Go gravity dropper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've had a first gen command post for about two years now, I saw a few issues (head coming loose after a crash and needing a rebuild) but after the first rebuild and tightening the head It has been maintenance free and amazing since.. I know a lot of people who have the blacklite and love it and have had no issues... My only problem is at they dont come in 27.2...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Seems to be a lot of guys liking the Command Post. It's doing my head in trying to decide which one to go for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast