mtbr member

Adjustable seatpost cable routing tips (2009 Stumpjumper FSR)

Crossposted from the Specialized forum for some more views...

I just picked up an X-fusion HiLo adjustable seatpost for my 2009 Stumpjumper FSR Comp. I am planning on setting it up tonight, but was wondering if those of you using an adjustable post might be able to give some recommendations/tips/tricks for routing of the cable for the remote lever. I plan on running it on the left side of the bars.

The frame has no cable guides on the seat tube or top tube, so I purchased some of the Jagwire stick-on guides. Just wondering if you might have some pictures that illustrate the routing, how much slack to leave, etc. The X-fusion instructions leave a bit to be desired.

usually cranky
    no pictures but with mine i fully extended the post, clamped it where i wanted it, mounted the remote, and ran the cable where i wanted it. i left a little slack at the back and in front cut it to the same length as my brake lines. routed it along the top tube, just be careful of moving linkage.

mtbr member
    Anyone use a seatpost clamp that has some sort of cable guide built in? I feel like I've seen them for rear derailleur or brake cables...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I don't care for the stick on guide since the adhesive always fails in our humid weather. That will work for a while though.

If you are going for looks then run the cable housing, zip tied to an existing guide on the down tube and zip tie it on the seat tube. If you don't care about looks then just zip tie it along the side of the top tube and the top part of the seat tube.

The only problem is you gotta make sure the thing doesn't get caught in anything when you are lowering the post as the cable will bend in a curve, usually towards the rear tire.

My 06 Stumpy has separate guides but does yours have separate ones or is it a screw in one?

If you have separate guides just use one zip tie to attach the two housings to one guide.

Hope this helps.