Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Which adjustable seatpost to buy?

After trying to track down the ks 900 from the latest Bike magazine with no success I am looking again at the All mountain post AMP, gravity dropper(classic) and the CB joplin. Can you guys help me decide which one to buy? I am using it on a titus el guapo 30.9mm so 2 of the post's will require a shim! Thanks

mtbr member
    Specialize Command Post? No shim needed. I just bought one and really like it.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Good job! Gd!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrjoshuanyc
    After trying to track down the ks 900 from the latest Bike magazine with no success I am looking again at the All mountain post AMP, gravity dropper(classic) and the CB joplin. Can you guys help me decide which one to buy? I am using it on a titus el guapo 30.9mm so 2 of the post's will require a shim! Thanks
    Hi mrjoshuanyc,

I have almost four years of experience using all three models of the gravity dropper on six different bikes. Ive needed to use a shim on all the bikes weve installed them on and it has been a non issue regarding fit or performance. All three models have worked faultlessly, the customer service has been fantastic and the use of the GD completely changes the way you ride. For more details see my reviews under the product review section of Mtbr.com. The only downsides to the GD, IMHO, are:

Id like a 5 drop and that isnt available.
    The lever that goes on the handle bar isnt as robust as some of its competitors.
    The cable routing on the Turbo model isnt as convenient as the cable routing on their original Gravity Dropper model. For this reason I stayed with the Gravity Dropper while my wife uses the Turbo.

Also the folks who run the company are wonderful to work with. I highly recommend them and their product!

Good luck with your decision!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

mrjoshuanyc, try xxcycle.com. I am in Vancouver, BC so the shipping took a little time but it was worth it. I picked up a KS I900 seatpost 30.9 for my Giant Reign. It has the 5 inch height adjustment so the range is great.

Only have a couple of rides on it but so far so good. Comparing the price it was substantially lower than any other adjustable post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks guys, I love the look of the specialized and the joplin but they are expensive and I think the joplin is unreliable. The gravity dropper seems alright but I hate the look of it. I still might go with the GD just because everyone says it works great but it's hard getting over the look and the need for shims. I looked into xxcycle in France for the KS i900 but I got cold feet trusting them to send it. The KS looks promising but dealing with them if something goes wrong worries me as well. The Specialized is alot of coin but I am sure they stand next to there products. If I could get a KS, I would in a heartbeat but even the suppliers are out of stock! Either it's good or it never made it to the states!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    i run the maverick speedball, which is the same as the crank brothers joplin. I can't say enough good things about it. However, i feel the only design flaw is the clamping mechanism. it uses a wedge type system which works well, but when you want to readjust the angle of the saddle, the wedges dont tend to break free from the old position too well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've got 5 or 6 rides on my Joplin and love it. If you don't clamp it into the bike too tight it works great. Very predictable and reliable so far.

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

GD vs. Speedball

I first purchased the 4" remote GD and use it on my bigger, heavier bike. What I didn't like was that the seat had to be unweighted ever so slightly to get the seat to drop. I also didn't like the fact that I didn't always want to go down the full 4 inches. I drilled a hole in the post to add an intermediate position which is nice for when you're cruisin down something more mellow. Still, I don't like the extra concentration the seatpost requires to drop it especially when I am starring down a scary section of trail. My mind should be elsewhere.

I then purchased a new bike that had the correct size seat tube to take the Speedball (Joplin). Yeah, crazy I know, it was a good excuse to get a Mojo. Anyway.....I love the Speedball and it's perfect for the Mojo. Pull the trigger and the seat drops. No thinking required. It does leak some though and I've had it rebuilt once. Side to side saddle slop is annoying too - I'm thinking through a fix for that issue.
    Ride hard. Ride often.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    mrjnyc: you're welcome to try out the Gravity Dropper on either of my two bikes if we meet up on a ride over the weekend. Granted mine are the non-remote variety, but still... get some first hand ride time on them. You've ridden with me a bit, and even with the non-remotes, I use them all the time.

With the smaller 27.2mm post, you also have better options for running it on other/future frames that may have different post sizes. A couple bucks on a new shim for that frame and you're good to go. My posts have been on several different bikes this way.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks D, I will try the post you have on your bike and when I get mine which I just ordered, you can try it as well. I took a gamble on the Joplin. Very mixed reviews but hopefully I will have all of the positive experiences. If not, it goes back on ebay and pick up a GD. Hope it comes soon, My El Guapo def needs it. Thanks everyone for the great replies.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Thanks D, I will try the post you have on your bike and when I get mine which I just ordered, you can try it as well. I took a gamble on the Joplin. Very mixed reviews but hopefully I will have all of the positive experiences. If not, it goes back on ebay and pick up a GD. Hope it comes soon, My El Guapo def needs it. Thanks everyone for the great replies.
    it's really nice having one. my singlespeed my only mtb ride without one since it's the "XC" bike, and some rides i miss having one on there!

having the ability to quickly and easily drop the seat while still pedaling along is awesome - you'll end up using it a lot around here.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

29 some of the time...
    So many options and opinions. Search by the post names (joplin, amp, gd, rase, etc). There is good discusion and coverage of most of these posts. FWIW amp, rase, and gd are made in the USA. Oddly enough they are all mechanically locked.

I have owned several gravity droppers and have found them to be 100% reliable. The customer service and availability of parts is awesome (say you want a different shaft, no problem). Currently I am in the market for a new post. The only reason I may end up straying from gd is to get some offset.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

attending to my vices
    I just got my KS i-900 from xx cycles. they shipped it fast. like 8 days. If you wanted to find it in the states, it is branded by Fezzarri. They sell them in the US. So far so good, some of the nuts are loose and I need to get some lock-tight, but the 5 inch drop is great, there is no slop in the post and it's very well built.
    OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!

I need skills
    Jul 2004

If they worked faultlessly, how would you know "customer service has been fantastic"?

"All three models have worked faultlessly, the customer service has been fantastic"

"the people are great to work with."
    I'm just saying.... it sounds inconsistent.

Creepy tooth fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsnead
    Hi mrjoshuanyc,

I have almost four years of experience using all three models of the gravity dropper on six different bikes. Ive needed to use a shim on all the bikes weve installed them on and it has been a non issue regarding fit or performance. All three models have worked faultlessly, the customer service has been fantastic and the use of the GD completely changes the way you ride. For more details see my reviews under the product review section of Mtbr.com. The only downsides to the GD, IMHO, are:

Id like a 5 drop and that isnt available.
    The lever that goes on the handle bar isnt as robust as some of its competitors.
    The cable routing on the Turbo model isnt as convenient as the cable routing on their original Gravity Dropper model. For this reason I stayed with the Gravity Dropper while my wife uses the Turbo.

Also the folks who run the company are wonderful to work with. I highly recommend them and their product!

Good luck with your decision!

Michael
    100% Ditto. My experience has been identical to Michael's. I would not use any of the others. I think the loose cable attached to the seat clamp on other brands is both ugly and dumb. GD's customer service is second to none. The only changes I would make to the GD are better seat clamp ala a Raceface or a Salsa and maybe a more robust lever.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Wink Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson
    "All three models have worked faultlessly, the customer service has been fantastic"

"the people are great to work with."
    I'm just saying.... it sounds inconsistent.
    Hi cjohnson,

My two comments are based on the following customer service interactions:

Adding a 4/1 drop post to the 3/1 drop post I originally purchased. They did this for $25 as I recall but it happened well over 3 years ago and Im way over 50 years old so my recall is suspect.
    Changing from a right hand control to a left hand control.
    A complete rebuild of my original GD for the princely sum of $15. I live in CA, ride year round and it took almost 3 years before this maintenance was required. The turnaround time was just a few days.
    Personal cell phone access to Wayne, the owner, whenever I needed it regarding installation on the bike. Im not much of a mechanic so Im guessing that very few other riders would need this.

Never the less my friends will tell you that youve correctly identified me as being consistently inconsistent in most of my efforts at communication.

Take care,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Not experienced with the GD I can only speak about the Maverick and Joplin as I have both on my bikes. These are better than butter and work very well. I recommend the Joplin to friends everyday. Awesome product!

Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    Just bought a 2nd hand Speedball and think its the dogsdoodaas Going to get a Cobra i900 later in the year

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    My GD hasn't been great. It works but isn't consistent. I talked to Wayne about it once, he told me to adjust the lock collar but I haven't been able to find a position that has it consistently engage top or bottom. I think the boot gets in the way at full compression, anyone else have that problem? Mine may be a lemon but if I bought another it would certainly be the Turbo. Having to tap to get it to come back up is annoying.

I also have a Speedball and like it's lever much more. I also like the infinite adjustability, not having to get it all the way down but can push it down as far as I want. It's weakness is that it's only a 3" drop and the two I've had seize and have to be cleaned if they get muddy so now I'm running an a section of inner tube to protect it. The clamp isn't ideal but it hasn't been a problem past the first week and I like the setback.

I'm also interested in the KS Cobra.
    2 wheels

Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    Quote Originally Posted by artnshel

I'm also interested in the KS Cobra.
    The Cobra has much the same problems as the Speedball/Joplin.A mate has had loads of problems with the clamp,i don't think its designed for heavier riders.He now runs thicker seat rails and has bodged it to hold tight.Having said that it has 5" of travel so its high on my list.
    Pity they've up the prices by 25%.

My GD hasn't been great. It works but isn't consistent. I talked to Wayne about it once, he told me to adjust the lock collar but I haven't been able to find a position that has it consistently engage top or bottom. I think the boot gets in the way at full compression, anyone else have that problem? Mine may be a lemon but if I bought another it would certainly be the Turbo. Having to tap to get it to come back up is annoying.

In the beginning I also had that experience until I started paying attention to the position of that lock collar; found I was changing it in between rides by grabbing my bike there (long time habit) when loading the bike onto a rack, moving it around, etc. Can't help with the bit of weighting/unweighting needed, though, that would be nice not to have to do, but you get used to it. Overall I'd still choose a GD, maybe an AMP, but for now don't want to deal with the pneumatic posts; I've seen far too many problems on the Maverick version (and have talked to several guys about their Joplins, same problems).

I've not tried the Turbo, but know some who have one and like it a lot. Next time I add one to the fleet it's going to be a Turbo....
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat

I also have a Speedball...

....have to be cleaned if they get muddy so now I'm running an a section of inner tube to protect it. The clamp isn't ideal but it hasn't been a problem past the first week and I like the setback.
    Muddy conditions may require more preventative maintenance or inventive ways to keep the muck out (like your tube idea). I've also heard of guys putting lizard skins over them, and also using the boot from a GD.

I haven't really had any problems with my Speedballs, but I often tend to unscrew the cap and check the condition of the lube around the shaft and bushing to ensure it is not contaminated.

I would like to try a GD turbo, but honestly they are fugly IMO. The cable routing is also not aesthetically pleasing. They look like they belong on a walmart bike. Has anyone thought the same thing but changed their mind when they saw one in person? I know sometimes pictures do not do a product justice.
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

www.derbyrims.com
    Double-thumbs-up for AMP post! And over the top customer service. I finally broke a seat post part and emailed on a Saturday, got a reply by Sunday and he sent out the part on Monday, plus a spare for free (I had asked to pay for both). It had worked perfectly for over a year. There's maybe 2mm play now but I don't feel it while riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Well my Joplin came in the mail today and I hope it performs as well as it looks! The quality looks sick and I can't wait to mount it and give it a try. Hopefully having it will give me the confidence I am looking for! If not, at least it looks cool... Thanks again guys for all he input. I will post up my review when I get a chance to try it out.

Hope it works better than most of its kind. Not the best track record out there...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast